Going to Orlando at the end of MAY, ANY TIPS?

TimbaTimba Posts: 225 Deckhand
Hey guys going to Orlando at the end of May and wanted to know if there are any lakes or ponds accesible by land that you guys recommend. Also wanted to know if there are any general patterns that work for this time of the year. Interested in catfish and crappie too... are crappie still biting at the end of May? are they biting deeper? Do you guys know of any good catfish spots?
Thanks
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinquish one man from another.":thumbsup:USA

Replies

• Swamp ZombieSwamp Zombie Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Understand- In Florida, any and all water can have a population of Bluegill and Bass. It just depends on how old the pond or body of water is. (It's not unusual for people to catch Bass (BIG Bass) in ditches and retention ponds!) SO, any and every pond or water you see has the potential to produce fish. If you travel on state rd 19 you will pass so many places to fish it will boggle your mind. (Go to Goggle Maps and look) The Ocala National Forest, Buck Lake Recreation area, Lake Dorr, Lake George, ETC. All of these have excellent bass and bluegill populations. Here is a link to some Catfish spots. (Florida is not well-known as a "Catfish State"- but it does have some awesome spots here and there)- http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/sites-forecast/catfish/

For Bass- 10" Berkley Worms (Black Grape, Red Shad, Tequila Shad, Black/Blue Tail), 8" Paddle Tail Worms (Gambler Brand), 1/2 - 5/8 OZ Jigs (Black/Blue, Etc), 1/4 - 1/2 OZ Spinnerbaits (Black/Red, White/Chartreuse, White) 6" Senko rigged Wacky Style OR Live Shrimp, Live Shiner rigged under a balloon or bobber.

For Bluegill- Beetle-spin or Fly (using a casting bobber), small Topwater lures- or crickets, meal-worms, earthworms.

You "might" get into some Crappie- but you've got to make sure the lake your fishing has a good population first. Most guys troll live minnows or crappie jigs.

Hope this helps?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,043 Moderator
    SZ is giving solid advice . Depending on where you are staying there are hundreds of community and public ponds and lakes to fish around Orlando.
    Post a report for us .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • TimbaTimba Posts: 225 Deckhand
    Thanks guys will definately post
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinquish one man from another.":thumbsup:USA
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    As these guys said, practically every pond has bass/ bluegill in it. Ironically, the less "fishy" it looks, the more likely you are to catch out of it.

I recommend a zoom fluke in baby bass color with a gamakatzu red 5/0 ewg. No bites in 15 minutes, move on.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • The CommodoreThe Commodore Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I live in Orlando and I have had more success in the retention pond behind my house than any natural lakes. This pond is packed full of hungry bass. Sorry, the pond is private but the morale of my story is ponds almost always have bass in them.
  • TimbaTimba Posts: 225 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the info guys. I came I saw and I conquered. You guys are absolutely right those ponds are stacked I didnt catch much quantity but I scored on a 5lb and 4 lb bass. I lost a massive fish in the pads using a frog. And in one of the lakes I caught a few crappie again not a lot but large for a speck. The fish were mainly hitting senkos and other stickbaits dut to the extreme heat and they were tight under cover; literally you wouldnt catch anything within a foot of pads but the foot right after would produce two hits. Again thanks for advice.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Great Job. Come back soon!
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao