Go to hardbait???

I have been using soft baits for a while now and im trying to change it up now. Dont get me wrong i love them but sometimes the hook up percentage with them sucks. I was just wondering what some of yalls go to hardbaits are? Size, color, and how you work it? I fish mainly in west central florida lakes.

Replies

• Swamp ZombieSwamp Zombie Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    For most application in shallow water a (Baby) Manns 1-, Bass Pro Shops Egg, and/or a 1.5 Lucky Craft is hard to beat.

As you get into deeper water, (10 ft), a Bomber Fat Free Shad is a good bet.

You would also want a "tight wiggling" sinking Crank- Aruku Shad.

Hope this helps?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,828 Moderator
    In water 6' and under with a little vegitation my #1 money bait all time.
    Rapala F13 original, silver/black back. Works on top or on the retrieve. Need a spinning outfit to throw it but it flat out catches them.

It's going to make me some money this Sunday .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ragincajun7ragincajun7 Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    I am defiantly going to try out some of those. How would you suggest working them? again i am use to the soft baits game rather than this
  • fishtampa247fishtampa247 Posts: 51 Deckhand
    I've been doing well on bigger (lazy post spawn) fish in my area on the flatt maxx shallow diver square bill.
    Been dragging it thru shell and sand drops and edges in the 4 to 6 ft range on deep holes. Making sure its kicking up dust.
    Been catching very big crappie and blue gill as by catch also.
    My buddy sticks to his sinko and catch ratio has been 3 to one with the crank bait catching the most and bigger fish.
    My big fish and bag this week was 9 + lb. 18 fish his 4 + lb. 6 fish.
    We fish the afternoon bite after work 5 ish till dark.
    The lake he lives on is very low and very has little cover because of the low water the fish have moved off the beds on to the drops and deeper edges.
    Needless to say didn't take long for my buddy to ask for a crank bait after two solid days of net duty.
    Hope this helps you in your area.
    Next week unless or until he beats my 9 from this week. I'm concentrating on the crappie and blue gill.
    :wink
    I am defiantly going to try out some of those. How would you suggest working them? again i am use to the soft baits game rather than this

The cranks and lipless baits (rattle trap type) are throw and reel baits. Other than an occasional twitch/jerk on the retrieve thats about it. The fish will tell you what the are looking for so mix it up untill you figure it out.

The Rapala is a floater and I generally twitch mine as soon as it hits the water and then let it sit. Some say to do nothing after the cast but I think when it hits it draws attention and the immediate twitch makes the sell that it's alive. If no hit then twitch it under and rest , repete a couple of times then an eratic retrieve back to the boat.

On a previous tournament on Panasoffkee they would not hit it on the surface ? Only after it went under and and was being retrieved. Took awhile to figure it out and I was able to get my limit and place in the money. Good luck.
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Chug Bug or Beetle Spin
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    I have caught some of my biggest bass on rapala. Go simple, and match the size to the size of the baitfish you see in the shallows.
  • BassaholicBassaholic Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    If you're willing to spend the $11 on a single lure go try a Live Target Bluegill, it is a light bait that only dives 3-5ft but it acts like no other cranks I have. Reel it in, stop it, it will suspend for a good deal of time before it comes back up. Very nice realistic looking bait, when I get a phone call when reeling in if I can see the lure there is usually other bluegill or bream schooling around it. Also it is exceptionally weedless for having 2 trebble hooks on the bottom of it. I cant even tell you how many bass big and small I've caught reeling it in, let it sit for a few seconds suspended and giving a few light jerks. By far not a be all end all crank but will usually generate a hit if nothing else is working. Sorry to sound like a salesmen but I love this bait, usually comes out after I've thrown the kitchen sink in with no luck, strap on the bluegill and its like they wake up.
    ER Doc 7 wrote: »
    I have caught some of my biggest bass on rapala. Go simple, and match the size to the size of the baitfish you see in the shallows.

I came in 2nd last Sunday on Lake Griffin thanks to the Rapala. Pulled in and another angler had already fished the area. He left and I got a limit and made 2 culls .
  • Swamp ZombieSwamp Zombie Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Nice Capt Louie! What was your weight? Here in MN, last Sunday, my sponsored SZ fishing Team managed (single day) 30.07 LB's to win the opener of the MN Pro Team Tournaments. Go check out my website (blog) for pics and such- www.swampzombie.com

I'm scheduled to do 2 larger tourneys ($150 plus entry) this season and a few Club tourneys ($50 entry/$10 BB) too.

Capt L- Do you ever do any tourneys in N Florida?? I know that area well. (Lake George, Crescent, St Johns, Etc) Some REALLY good fishing can be had around Orange Park/Palatka!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,919 Captain
    KVD 2.5 crankbait
    Rapala Shad Rap (regular and jointed)
    Rapala Original Floating Minnow
    Nice Capt Louie! What was your weight? Here in MN, last Sunday, my sponsored SZ fishing Team managed (single day) 30.07 LB's to win the opener of the MN Pro Team Tournaments. Go check out my website (blog) for pics and such- www.swampzombie.com

I'm scheduled to do 2 larger tourneys ($150 plus entry) this season and a few Club tourneys ($50 entry/$10 BB) too.

Capt L- Do you ever do any tourneys in N Florida?? I know that area well. (Lake George, Crescent, St Johns, Etc) Some REALLY good fishing can be had around Orange Park/Palatka!

It took 12lbs to win and had a guest angler weigh in a 7.6 . I had just under 11lb. There are still some bedding fish and several I wasted time on were good size.
    But 11lb or 30lb makes no difference as long as I cash a check :)

I've fished up there some but it's a little far for a club event. Generally we fish those areas for our "Classic". Talquin may be this years site but some want to go back to Seminole.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    If you're gonna throw trebles, you may also want to use mono if you dont already. Its a lot stickier than braid.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,400 Admiral
    XCalibur Xr50 Rattle Bait / blue chrome/orange. XCalibur One Knocker XRK50 Blue/chrome.
    KVD 1.5 silent squarebill , natural lakes try natural colors like neon bluegill , phosphate pits try firetiger.
    Topwater , spook jr. / heddon wounded spook 4.5" take the front prop off.