Tarpon videos

E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
A couple videos I made with my new GoPro camera of some tarpon I caught late last month.

http://youtu.be/x6YRwJXdMWw

http://youtu.be/tt17hCsG8MA

Replies

• sunflowersunflower Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Good fight. What a great video! Way to keep your rod down and dirty. Most people start high-sticking from the start, and apply way less pressure to the fish. Why were you grabbing your line later in the fight?
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
    sunflower wrote: »
    Good fight. What a great video! Way to keep your rod down and dirty. Most people start high-sticking from the start, and apply way less pressure to the fish. Why were you grabbing your line later in the fight?

It is too hard, for me anyway, to try to land a tarpon when I am by myself. If I get the leader inside the guides, I consider it "caught." At approximately 15 minutes, I break it off by either grabbing the line or pointing the rod at the fish. It saves the tarpon from getting worn out--and me too. That way we are both hopefully able to go on our way with minimal trauma.
    I get that. I can't land one, solo, either.

Before that though, during the fight when you were on the reel, you take the fly line in your left hand, at about 4:54.

Mark

OK, sorry. I didn't see that you had already leadered him. Got it.
    Mark

• SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 671 Officer
    Cool videos, what fly did they eat? I love punta Gorda. Were you up in the Peace river, or near the pass?

:thumbsup
    SUPER D wrote: »
    Cool videos, what fly did they eat? I love punta Gorda. Were you up in the Peace river, or near the pass?

:thumbsup
    It was a black and purple bunny with a grisly hackle tail, bead chain eyes and a little flash--easy to see on a sand bottom. I live in Pirate Harbor. Both fish ate in about 4' of water on the east side just off the bar. I was away and the fish don't seem to be there now. I checked this morning. We found them the other day in deep water, but they were more interested in foreplay than eating http://youtu.be/b0xrxLrTd0I
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 671 Officer
    I stayed at Fishermans village two times, first time I think was 97, then again in 2011. I caught my first Snook there, and hooked my first tarpon on fly, from shore in 97. In 2011, I hooked up with some small Poons, the big one were all over, and caught Snook all week long, and some Reds. I want to go back.
  • RCarbonRCarbon Posts: 256 Officer
    Giving the ol' Scott rod a workout in video 2....

I have a pair of Scott STS 11wts. that get most of my tarpon duty.. Put the 1st one in the air 2 weeks on Jug Creek shoal..

Bob
    RCarbon wrote: »
    Giving the ol' Scott rod a workout in video 2....

I have a pair of Scott STS 11wts. that get most of my tarpon duty.. Put the 1st one in the air 2 weeks on Jug Creek shoal..

Bob
    Good eye. I love my Scott S4S 11 wt. I throw a 12 with it.