Best bet for pickerel?

I've always been excited by the prospect of catching a new species, and in freshwater I've caught most of the fish around here (jacksonville). However, the pickerel has eluded me and I was wondering if anyone had some good tips on how to catch them, especially where to find them. I've got the right rod/reel/line combos, I just need to find and hook one. All replies are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• CATTLE MANCATTLE MAN Posts: 129 Officer
    ON the kissimmee chain there is no ''trying'' to catch them u just do,,they eat the same artificials bass do ,,they like clean moving water like at canal mouths, they seem to like swimbaits around here i got 4 this weekend along with 7 bass and 2 muds
  • SaltyOspreySaltyOsprey Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Thanks! That sounds like an awesome slam of fish, especially the mudfish (I've always liked them more than anything else.) I'll definitely put that info to good use!
  • Bass2bucksBass2bucks Posts: 654 Officer
    They'll hit a jerkbait and hook themselves it's pretty hard to hook them on a soft plastic.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,826 Moderator
    Spinnerbait 3/8 oz dbl willowleaf. Throw it around grass and pickerel will eat it. If it's an expensive spinnerbait you are guaranteed to catch mudfish with the occasional pesky bass thrown in.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • WoodsRatWoodsRat Posts: 117 Officer
    Lake Sampson and Rowell in Starke are full of them. Caught several this weekend during a bass tournament of course! But really every time I fish sampson I catch them.
    "That didnt pan out."-Rooster Cogburn
  • Swamp ZombieSwamp Zombie Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Yeah, the lakes in and around Starke and the Keystone Heights area have a good population of Pickerel. Spinnerbait's can work, but, a suspending Rattle Bait (Suspending Cordell Spot) can be deadly. In fact, any shallow Crank (Manns 1-, BPS Egg) is deadly on Mr. Pickerel.

I have not been to that area to fish in a coons age. I wonder if Brooklyn is up yet.....?
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,219 Officer
    I've caught them on the old jitterbug lures.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://www.neflbaitco-op.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Try bass fishing. That's how I get 'em.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • kmander3kmander3 Posts: 107 Officer
    I'm not sure how helpful these will be since your in Jacksonville but I know a lot of us Freshwater guys drive around a lot.

I saw probably 6 at East Lake toho this past weekend when we were fishing a tournament, most were small probably around 12" though then again so were the Bass we found. We used to catch quite a few on Lake Tsalapopka. Like everyone else said fish for them like you would bass with spinner baits or crankbaits and you should find some if the lake has them.
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Pickerel have a hard mouth with alot of teeth, spinnerbaits or crank baits are your best bet
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,918 Captain
    I've caught a lot of them at Rodman. I've caught a lot of everything at Rodman actually.
  • red owlred owl Posts: 640 Officer
    Yeah, I've caught them in ELT, one was 29". A bass fights harder IMHO.
  • A little north of Jacksonville in GA the Altamaha river basin has more than you can shake a stick at. Any of the sloughs or oxbows that have pads you will catch all you want. My favorite lure for then is a gold broke back rebel, just twitch it along the top or just under the water.....won't be able to not catch them.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    You don't plan on keeping any for the table do ya?

Got more bones than a grave yard.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • red owlred owl Posts: 640 Officer
    I caught a 29" one in east Lake Toho on a spinnerbait. They fight low- they don't jump like a bass. In the far north, in ice cold water- they are firm and okay to eat but in warm water they are sort of mushy and not all that great. They will give you a straight run at the start.
  • brywright6296brywright6296 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    go to gobblits cove on lake toho and throw a kvd sexy shad 1.5 youll catch em
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    You don't plan on keeping any for the table do ya?

Got more bones than a grave yard.

Skin the fillets and boil them. The meat will seperate from the bone and come to the top. Mix the meat with corn meal batter, onion, celery, garlic...etc and deep dry.

Instant pick-a-patties....Mmmmmm

- James
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • RiffRaffRiffRaff Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Lake George is not to far you and i usually catch one everytime I use a spinnerbait there. Good luck and please take them home with you.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,137 AG
    CATTLE MAN wrote: »
    ON the kissimmee chain there is no ''trying'' to catch them u just do,,they eat the same artificials bass do ,,they like clean moving water like at canal mouths, they seem to like swimbaits around here i got 4 this weekend along with 7 bass and 2 muds

Same around Sanford. Mine came on gaudy lures like the Firetigers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,807 Captain
    Any Rapala, Rebel or the like will take them either straight retrieved or twitched on the surface. Probably the best lure ever made for taking chain pickerel is the Mepps inline spinner w/ a silver blade in #2 or #3!!!!! Just be sure to use a ball bearing snap swivel or they will twist Yer line up in no time at all!! Also you should use a short piece of #20~#30 Fluro ahead of the spinner (Use Mono on the Rapala cause Fluro will sink it!) Pickerel have plenty of teeth and will cut thu lighter mono or fluro and will also cut you up if yer not careful w/ them!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!