Bass Fishing

Guys, I grew up bass fishing, then got the saltwater bug and fished all over.

Now I am bass fishing again in the St. Johns chain and I am really enjoying the tranquility and peaceful surroundings. We do pretty good most of the time but it seems the lures/jigs and worms (artificial) have changed a lot in recent years.

What worms do you like? How are you rigging/fishing them?? Do you think the actual worm makes that big of a difference?? Anyway just wanted to hear what others are doing and if you use anything that you would recommend??

Thanks

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,826 Moderator
    Good question FH. It seems there is a never ending "quest" to have the newest color rigged in the newest way to catch the most fish..

As far as the actual worm,I doubt it. Here is my take on it.
    Worms - Size,action,color. I mean what else is there ? It's this length with this tail in this color. Boom.
    If only it was that easy right? :) The opinions will run over the horizon and every one will be right. In in their own way.
    Rigging - Texas,Carolina,dropshot,unweighted. Well again , lots of options.

I use 3 rigging deals the majority of the time here in Florida.

Heavy pegged weight with a texas rigged plastic (generally a crawdad imitation) for flipping really heavy stuff. Color depends on water clarity. Dark water = blue/black Light = green/red

Standard Texas rigged worm with the lightest weight I can get away with. Color depends as does the action of the tail. Worms are cheap so I'll experiment a little. But not much.

Unweighted worm - My "go to" if conditions allow it. 3/0 round bend hook with a Zoom speed worm (watermelon/red) rigged Texas with the tail down.
    This bait will put them in the boat if they are in 5' and under with emergent vegitation. I swim it like a snake,I let it drop in holes,I sometimes burn it on top.
    I can cover lots of water without hanging up and it will catch big fish. I use 20# braid with a 20# mono leader on a med. spinning rod.
    I like it better than a fluke because I get a better hook up percentage.

So many choices , I look at baits as Tools. I reach for the one I think is best for the situation. I can't fish unweighted worms or with a light weight with the wind howling.
    Time to increase the weight to maintain feel , :blahblah. And on and on ..

Sorry to ramble but the topic is vast :grin Maybe I'm in a rut ? Let's see what everybody else is throwing?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,664 Captain
    Senko worn no weight in Junebug
  • CATTLE MANCATTLE MAN Posts: 129 Officer
    glass rattles work well in the tail,,little bit of noise seems to help me
  • jakejake Posts: 326 Deckhand
    Senko worn no weight in Junebug

Senko, watermelon, rigged wacky style is my favorite...
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    bass are bass when you were younger same as they are now truth be told most new or newer lures catch lots an lots of fishermen/women most lure will catch a few fish

a black worm, 7-10 inches, 5/0 offset worm hook, will catch huge bass then an now

floating Rapala, beetle spin (black or white), jitter bug, Super Fluke, spinner bait, floating frog, etc etc

for $20.00 at wally world I can buy enough lures to fill the boat with bass
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • GrillaGGrillaG Posts: 1,259 Officer
    1. grape colored Culprit w/ bullet weight
    2. floating Rapala
    3. beetle spin

in that order. beetle spin will catch more fish but smaller
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,826 Moderator
    GrillaG wrote: »
    2. floating Rapala

^ this ^ f13 silver or gold/ black back. I do a heck of alot of damage with that bait.
    Leading my club in points and weight because of it. For the 3rd year. Shhhh , don't tell them.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • DAIWA KINGDAIWA KING Posts: 55 Deckhand
    frogs, worms and flippin and pitchin produces the best bites and quality bass... use all 65 lb braid
    I ONLY USE DAIWA...
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    I fish south of the St. John, but if I am looking for fish and using a worm I throw a 4" watermelon with red flake zoom finesse worm in the shallows. It will let me know if there are at least small bass in the waters. If there are, I move to a bigger worm and fish slower.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,078 Admiral
    Take me out on your boat and I'll show you how and what I use :)
  • GotBass?GotBass? Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Check out the brand Zoom, anything they sell works great.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,400 Admiral
    Like Austin said ,with a hand full of baits you can pretty much cover all basis.

In no particular order.

1. Texas rigged worm
    2. Weedless weightless stick bait - I like BPS Stik-O worm 6" rigged on a Gamakatsu 3/0 EWG hook ,skin hook the point, like so
    3. Soft Plastic swimbait like a Gambler EZ Swimmer rigged on weighted swimbait hook. (4/0 1/8oz Owner Beast)
    4. Buzz Frog , Stanley Ribbits 3.5" or Zoom Horny toad - rigged on a Owner 5/0 Twistlock 1/8oz.
    5. Spro Frog , tie it with a non-slip loop knot ,mainline braid straight to your frog. Walk the dog with it like a zara spook.
    6. Creature Bait (Gambler BB Cricket) rigged with straight shank 5/0 flipping hook. 1/2oz to 1 1/2oz tungsten weight.
    7. Rattle Trap 1/2oz chrome /blue back /orange belly.

Worms and baits w/treble hooks ,I'll throw yo-zuri hybrid mono.
    Frogs ,Flipping and Swimbaits I'll throw braid.
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 785 Officer
    Creature Bait weighted 1 1/2 oz on a 7'6" Flipping rod throwing into the nastiest stuff I can find (pictured behind). Go where others won't dare!

All released to frow bigger :)