Fishing license for scalloping?

Catchin ZeesCatchin Zees Posts: 27 Greenhorn
If I take my boat out to go scalloping and one of my guests is not participating but myself and several others are, does that person still need a license? They would not be in the water at all.
Isaiah 40:31

Replies

• Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    No they do not need a license if they are not participating in the hunt
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    No they do not need a license if they are not participating in the hunt

Don't think that is correct. If they are on the boat with saltwater products that have been harvested, then everyone onboard who qualifies for a license, needs one.

Same with fish. If you are offshore (or even inshore), and have say a 24" red grouper in the cooler, then everyone onboard needs a license.
  • DougDoug St PetersburgPosts: 154 Deckhand
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    Don't think that is correct. If they are on the boat with saltwater products that have been harvested, then everyone onboard who qualifies for a license, needs one.

Same with fish. If you are offshore (or even inshore), and have say a 24" red grouper in the cooler, then everyone onboard needs a license.

No it IS correct
  • GeorgePGeorgeP Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Doug wrote: »
    No it IS correct

:Agree

Been discussed many times on here. If you ain't fishing you don't need a license.
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    GeorgeP wrote: »
    :Agree

Been discussed many times on here. If you ain't fishing you don't need a license.

Yep

But if they pickup a rod (or a scallop, or whatever), even to just move it out of their way, and an LEO see's them, they can be issued a ticket if the LEO chooses to do so. Don't let them touch anything related to fishing/harvesting, and they don't need a license
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,146 Admiral
    spinfreak wrote: »
    Yep

But if they pickup a rod (or a scallop, or whatever), even to just move it out of their way, and an LEO see's them, they can be issued a ticket if the LEO chooses to do so. Don't let them touch anything related to fishing/harvesting, and they don't need a license

That would be a bit too gestapo-ish. I've never had a problem with a person on my boat without a license as long as they don't engage into fishing.
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    Don't know if this was just this LEO or if it is the norm, but the last time I got checked during scallop season he asked how many scallops we had . I told him "Oh about 6 gallons" he looked in the buckets and apparently agreed, then asked to see 3 licences. At the time there were only two of us in the boat as we were at a hangout spot close to the channel. The two others were in the water around/close to the boat. Maybe it was the situation or maybe he just wanted to verify an appropriate lic/harvest ratio.
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    Split Shot wrote: »
    That would be a bit too gestapo-ish. I've never had a problem with a person on my boat without a license as long as they don't engage into fishing.

Yep...99% of LEO's wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but if you catch one on a bad day, or a gung ho rookie, or whatever, they can give you a ticket if they choose to. I have seen/heard it happen at least a couple of times
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues