Servicing Battle 4000 reel?

bob8619bob8619 Posts: 301 Officer
I want to take my reel apart to possibly oil and grease it up... I bought a Penn oil and grease kit today... before I take it apart though, is there any sealant or something that needs to be used upon reassembly that keeps the water out from the internals? Are there any how-to's anywhere?

Replies

• PENNPENN Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Bob,

Will you be dunking your reel? If so a sealant may help but most guys will just "pack" their reels with grease to help with saltwater intrusion.

tony
  • bob8619bob8619 Posts: 301 Officer
    Well I'm hanging this reel up Tony. Long story short I have had massive amounts of wind knots, at least 1 every 3-4 casts when using twitch baits. I have tried everything in the book and it still happens. To make sure it wasnt user error I did my own little test.
    I took the braid off the Battle and put it on a spare reel, a Shakespeare 40, I went out and first I cast my 1/4oz doa shrimp over 40 times and the MirrOdine over 20 times. All being retrieved how I would normally retrieve them except a handful of them I actually tried to reel up EXTRA slack. So over 60 casts, some with the wind, some against the wind, some across the wind. Every way I could imagine, some finesse, some hard as heck, and NOT A SINGLE knot whatsoever. I even caught my first speckled sea trout in the process...

Same rod, same braid. Only difference besides reel was I tied the braid to the mono on the old reel so that it would have some backing. I doubt having backing changes anything. Therefore, its the reel.... Relieved but bummed all at once!
    Sorry to hear these issues Bob. Several things can cause wind knots but it’s always hard to find the cause. We would be more than happy to replace this reel if you like. Please PM us with your suggestions. Thank you
  • bob8619bob8619 Posts: 301 Officer
    PM sent
  • Trout manTrout man Posts: 55 Deckhand
    I am having the same issues with a Battle 1000. Love the reel, but cant avoid the wind knots, and also after maybe 4 trips out on the water, the reel is sounding rough on the retrieve...... The reel gets babied on and off the water and has never been dunked, just maybe an occasional splash from the salt water. But it always gets a good bath afterwards.
  • pinoyboykevpinoyboykev Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Sorry to jack the thread, but since a penn representative responded I wanted to put my $.02 in. I too have experienced the wind knot phenomena with the penn battle. One on a 4000 and the other on a 3000. Both of them are not my reels, but were gifts to two different friends in different locations. Each of them were frustrated with the wind knot issue every couple of casts. Both of them were using braid, the only difference was that one was using a twitchbait, while the other used a yo zuri style ripbait. Pretty interesting that I have found another person with the same problem. It must be something wrong with the line roller I assume.
    Trout man wrote: »
    I am having the same issues with a Battle 1000. Love the reel, but cant avoid the wind knots, and also after maybe 4 trips out on the water, the reel is sounding rough on the retrieve...... The reel gets babied on and off the water and has never been dunked, just maybe an occasional splash from the salt water. But it always gets a good bath afterwards.
    Sorry to jack the thread, but since a penn representative responded I wanted to put my $.02 in. I too have experienced the wind knot phenomena with the penn battle. One on a 4000 and the other on a 3000. Both of them are not my reels, but were gifts to two different friends in different locations. Each of them were frustrated with the wind knot issue every couple of casts. Both of them were using braid, the only difference was that one was using a twitchbait, while the other used a yo zuri style ripbait. Pretty interesting that I have found another person with the same problem. It must be something wrong with the line roller I assume.

Guys,

If you would like to send your reel in for a replacement we will be happy to replace them for you. If interested send us a PM.

tony
  • surferjs01surferjs01 Posts: 184 Officer
    Weird I have a 4000 battle and it honestly works great, I use 12 lb mono. Haven't had a single wind knot... Do you guys leave a lot of slack on the line when you twitch your baits? I'm just curious...
    Follow me on instagram for daily catches! @surferjs12
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,172 Admiral
    Tony > PM
    TYIA
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,172 Admiral
    surferjs01 wrote: »
    Haven't had a single wind knot...

Ya must have got a good one.

Good morning.

hope everyone had a great weekend!

time to get back to work.

Tony are you still there?
    Split Shot wrote: »
    Ya must have got a good one.

Good morning.

hope everyone had a great weekend!

time to get back to work.

Tony are you still there?

PM sent.

tony
  • 01190119 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    You get wind knots when using twitch baits? And you wonder why... Do you close the bail by hand and always pull on the line to avoid the loop on the spool? Twitch baits means you are always making slack and are always going to be dealing with wind knots. And Penn is willing to switch out your reels guys! Wow they are bending over backwards for you. I'm very impressed by this Penn Rep guy. He takes such a beating from folks here and on s.o.l. And always willing to work things out. He's got a rough job, a grand majority of the complaints he gets on these forums are user error not anything to do with the inability of his products.