Skip to main content
Home Politics

THE HOLY GRAIL

Replies

• CyclistCyclist Senior Member GvillePosts: 23,340 AG
    More lies and BS from the christer right wingers.

THE FACTS

SHOCKING! Planned Parenthood Patients Receive Fewer Abortions Than General Public
    2012/05/31
    By Wendy Gittleson

A few days ago, we published this article about a claim that Planned Parenthood performs an abortion every 96 seconds. We alleged that the claim was false. We were wrong and we were called out on it, and for that, we are grateful because it allowed us to place the statistic in perspective.

Planned Parenthood does perform an abortion about every 96 seconds (based on a 24 hour/365 day calendar), which sounds horrific, until you realize that across the country, a woman receives an abortion every 26 seconds (also based on 24/365). Note that that statistic comes directly from an anti-choice site, but verified through the Guttmacher Institute. The Center for Disease Control places that number at closer to every 38 seconds. Either way, Planned Parenthood is doing their job – they are preventing abortions.

The rebuttal to our article goes on to say that Planned Parenthood performs abortions on 11% of their patients. Again, this statistic is rather remarkable, since nationwide, it’s estimated that 28% of women have had abortions.

What about the claim that Planned Parenthood performs 27% of all American abortions? Thanks to legislation and threats of physical violence, abortion providers have been driven out by droves, leaving few providers BUT Planned Parenthood, still, in 2008, there were about 1,800 abortion providers. The majority of abortions were performed in hospitals and doctor’s offices. There are 879 Planned Parenthood clinics and affiliates, meaning that Planned Parenthood makes up about half of the abortion providers, despite performing only about 1/4 the abortions.

Then, our friends acknowledge the fact that only 3% of Planned Parenthood’s services are abortions, but counter that for every adoption referral that Planned Parenthood makes, they perform 391 abortions. Their calculations are true, but statistics show that there are only about 140,000 children adopted in the US annually. The fact is that pregnant women simply aren’t choosing adoption and there are various reasons, beginning with the most basic, they are not in a situation where even going through a pregnancy is a viable option. Adoption referrals are on Planned Parenthood’s menu of services. They offer literature. They offer to speak to their patients about adoption. It’s not their fault that their patients aren’t taking them up on it.

The final claim that our friends make is that despite the fact that only 3% of Planned Parenthood’s services are abortions, abortions make up 15% of their revenue. They don’t dispute the fact that NONE of that revenue comes from federal taxes. To their claim, the answer is simple and obvious. Abortions are expensive compared to their main services, which are preventing unintended pregnancies and maintaining the health of both men and women, for which they have spectacular results:

Every year, Planned Parenthood prevents about 584,000 pregnancies, many of which would have undoubtedly ended in abortion.
    76% of their patients are poor
    76% of their patients visit Planned Parenthood to prevent pregnancies
    80% of their patients are 20 or older

Anti-choice advocates would have you believe that banning abortions would make abortions disappear. Facts disprove this. Before Roe v. Wade, in 1973, the Supreme Court Decision that made abortions legal, there were almost as many if not as many (the US population in 1970 was estimated at about 200,000,000. It is now over 300,000,000.) abortions performed every year, although illegally and often without medical supervision. Perhaps more importantly, the safety of abortions has dramatically increased.

No one in this country is “pro-abortion.” It’s always been the motto of those who believe that a woman should be able to choose her own fate (as do men), that abortions should be safe, legal and rare. Planned Parenthood takes that motto very seriously and it is only through further support of the institution, that we can even further drive down the rate of abortion in this country.
  • jlh49jlh49 Senior Member Posts: 3,127 Officer
    Cyclist wrote: »
    More lies and BS from the christer right wingers.

Impressive post but it does nothing to refute the information above.

Signed: Christer (?) Right Winger
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Senior Member Land of Wind and GhostsPosts: 24,905 AG
    It is simply an opinion piece posted on an anti-abortion site.

Sanger's history and philosophy has been more often a target of misinterpretation than protestant bible study.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    My post points out lies and errors in the dudes opinion thus rendering his opinion as appearing biased and ill conceived.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Senior Member Land of Wind and GhostsPosts: 24,905 AG
    ... and ill conceived.

You made a joke! :grin

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    It is simply an opinion piece posted on an anti-abortion site.

Sanger's history and philosophy has been more often a target of misinterpretation than protestant bible study.

True. But the similarities mentioned do provide a good conversation piece for a good debate.
    I don't think so. I don't think that any religious point of view is worth debating since they are all cul-de-sacs.

My post points out lies and errors in the dudes opinion thus rendering his opinion as appearing biased and ill conceived.

Talking about painting with a broad brush. Specifically, which parts are lies, and which parts are errors?

Most opinions are biased.

I will not comment on the "ill conceived" statement. It has already been addressed.
    I don't think so. I don't think that any religious point of view is worth debating since they are all cul-de-sacs.

I guess it depends on one's perspective. Mine is to do my part to provide fair and balanced ridiculous posts here on the Politics forum. How am I doing?
    The main thing is, PP constantly and effectively reduces the number of abortions.

You people should be happy.
    The main thing is, PP constantly and effectively reduces the number of abortions.

I am always happy when abortions are reduced, regardless of the source of motivation to do so.

I am not sure I agree with your "constantly and effectively" assessments.
    jlh49 wrote: »
    I guess it depends on one's perspective. Mine is to do my part to provide fair and balanced ridiculous posts here on the Politics forum. How am I doing?

You pretty much suck at it. I suggest paying closer attention to my style of critical anaylsis if that is your goal.

• old thompsonold thompson Banned WIPosts: 6,497 Officer

Should we now? Happy are we? :nono
    You pretty much suck at it. I suggest paying closer attention to my analytic style if that is your goal.

Dang, I wish I had not asked now, and I thought I was doing a pretty good job.

Well, if there were two of us being analytic, those that are non-analytic might get too discouraged and quit posting ridiculous threads.

Hey, you must have missed part of my previous post regaining my "Goal."
  • Gary MGary M Senior Member Key Largo, LauderdalePosts: 13,246 AG
    Dems, as a general rule, LOVE aborting babies. The funny/ironic part is that the they are actually aborting what would most likely become, future Democrats!

Too bad this lady was not a firm believer in abortion. Here, she's holding a baby who would become a firm believer in Infanticide as well as your run-of-the-mill abortion.

Axe him why his Momma didn't abort this baby or leave him to die in a toilet............

ann-dunham-obama-mom1.jpg
    Gary M wrote: »
    Dems, as a general rule, LOVE aborting babies. The funny/ironic part is that the they are actually aborting what would most likely become, future Democrats!

Too bad this lady was not a firm believer in abortion. Here, she's holding a baby who would become a firm believer in Infanticide as well as your run-of-the-mill abortion.

Axe him why his Momma didn't abort this baby or leave him to die in a toilet............

ann-dunham-obama-mom1.jpg

nutjob much?
    The first thing you need to do to achieve your goal is refraining from initiating threads in the Politics forum.

The first thing you need to do to achieve your goal is refraining from initiating threads in the Politics forum.

Yes, probably true, but the vast number of ridiculous posts by the left is so one sided. Who will defend the right?
    Right is might. It never needs defense.

Right is might. It never needs defense.

Truer words have seldom be spoken!

:hail
  • dstockwelldstockwell Senior Member Posts: 13,833 AG
    There was a lady on the tube last night that was **** in the early sixties. She was like 16, and decided to give it up for adoption. She said she just wanted to rid her body of the vile thing that happened to her. Now her daughter that is 50 wants to meet and talk with her and the mother told her no way, and don't ever contact me again. Not sure I can disagree with the mother.
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Senior Member Edgewater, FLPosts: 14,632 AG
    Gary M wrote: »

Other ironies worth mentioning.

Republicans want to stop all abortions allowing future democrats to be born, i.e. a self-destructive prophecy.

Republicans want to stop all abortions, even the ones their teenaged daughters seek.

Republicans want to stop all abortions, even the ones they are willing and able to pay for when a teenaged pregnancy is going to ruin their son or daughter's chances of admission to an ivy league school or military academy, or ruin chances for a sports scholarship, or worse, ruin their family name.
    The thing is, christians and republicans get abortions all the time.

They just don't talk about it.
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Senior Member Edgewater, FLPosts: 14,632 AG
    The thing is, christians and republicans get abortions all the time.

They just don't talk about it.

Absolutely true.

The difference between Catholics and Baptists is, a Baptist won't speak to you at the liqueur store.

Likewise, the difference between democrats and republicans is, a republican won't speak to you at the abortion clinic.
  • doobiedorightdoobiedoright Senior Member Posts: 644 Officer
    Why do you love to kill babies who have hurt no one but wont kill predators who have hurt people?
  • gregglgreggl Senior Member Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Why do you love to kill babies who have hurt no one but wont kill predators who have hurt people?

What do you attribute the drop in crime we've seen since the early 70's to?

There are some theories out there that tie it to roe v wade and/or restricting the lead content in products we use (paint/fuel, etc). Could be other things.

Forced abortions would be a travesty. Its a tough personal choice now - one I'll never have to make and can only share an opinion or force my interference.

If we remove choice, we are forcing something.

What ripples do you see if we treat the symptom of (already dropping rates) abortions by stopping them?