Bumpy water on Saturday still beats sitting at home

Finally made it down this past weekend for our first trip of the year (after having to cancel 3 out of the last 4 weeks). Could have been better sea conditions but it was our last chance for another month so we were going to go regardless. Headed out of the pass a round 7-ish for a little trolling to see if we could nab a king....no luck. There were a ton of boats cruising up and down the beach looking for cobia.

My buddy had some work done on the boat’s electronics over the winter and we had to meet the “RayMarine guy” back at the dock at 9am to get the unit calibrated and get a little tutorial. One of the things done was to relocate the unit from up on top of the console to flush mount it in the dash. Had to move all of the switches in the process. It turned out really nice.....I think we are really going to like it. He also showed us a lot more features to the unit that we didn’t even know it had.....just a huge learning experience for us that I’m sure will pay big dividends for us in the long run.

Back to fishing by 11:30 or so. We originally wanted to go west a little out to some near shore spots, anchor up, do a little bottom fishing while we had the chum bag out in the hopes something would find our flatline. However, we must not have been the only ones with that idea as we couldn’t find a spot without a boat already on it. Finally had to go out a little further than we had wanted to a nearby wreck to put our plan in action. The so called 2-3's were more like 3-4's+ and got worse as the day went on. It made for a rough afternoon. The bottom bite wasn’t very good for us, but the chum called a few in to our flatline. My buddy caught one of the biggest AJ’s we’ve ever caught and I boated a nice king on my new PENN rod/reel combo...it worked great & I think I’m really going to like it. That’s about all we caught worth mentioning. Salvaged a rough day with some good fillets & learned a lot about our electronics that’ll help us later in the year.....can’t complain too much.....beats sitting on the couch.

Only to return to Nashville on Sunday evening to the aftermath of a mini flood Saturday night while I was gone that did a number on my fence.....I know how my next few weekends will be spent :(

Livin' the Dream !

Replies

• Hutch316Hutch316 Posts: 110 Officer
    Nice fish, bummer on the fence!!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Good job on getting out there. We looked for ling and stayed real close to the beach. I would not have wanted to venture too far offshore, but way to give it a shot. I'm ready to do some bottom fishing, but I think I'm going to do annual engine maintenance this Sat. Wx looks flat naturally terrible, so why not. Plus wife has me going to a party Sat night, so might as well just take it easy Saturday.

Fence: In the first picture it looks like your flood ran uphill. ?????
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,167 Officer
    Fence: In the first picture it looks like your flood ran uphill. ?????

There's actually a low area in our backyard between our house and the creek bank We had almost 5-inches of rain Saturday (rained all day & most of the night) and the creek breached it's banks and rushed into that low area where it took out that portion of my fence. I actually built in removable sections of the fence that I can take portions down when heavy rains occur to prevent the fence from getting destroyed if the creek overflows like this. Problem was I didn't know it was suppposed to rain that much before I left to go out of town (no one else did either; not forcast to be that bad) so I didn't remove those sections.....and thus the result since I wasn't there to remove them.

Livin' the Dream !
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Ah... of course there is. I feel pretty silly. All I saw in the first fence pic was the grade. Never crossed my mind to look up and right and see the OTHER hill. Clearly there's a low spot there; one which will in fact send water UPHILL when it floods. I spend two years in a very similar area in western VA for a couple years. Surprised I didn't recognize what was going on.

Good luck getting section of fence mended up. One of these days you'll come down here and the weather will cooperate in both TN and FL
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    LilOrange wrote: »
    Finally made it down this past weekend for our first trip of the year (after having to cancel 3 out of the last 4 weeks). Could have been better sea conditions but it was our last chance for another month so we were going to go regardless. Headed out of the pass a round 7-ish for a little trolling to see if we could nab a king....no luck. There were a ton of boats cruising up and down the beach looking for cobia.

My buddy had some work done on the boat’s electronics over the winter and we had to meet the “RayMarine guy” back at the dock at 9am to get the unit calibrated and get a little tutorial. One of the things done was to relocate the unit from up on top of the console to flush mount it in the dash. Had to move all of the switches in the process. It turned out really nice.....I think we are really going to like it. He also showed us a lot more features to the unit that we didn’t even know it had.....just a huge learning experience for us that I’m sure will pay big dividends for us in the long run.

Back to fishing by 11:30 or so. We originally wanted to go west a little out to some near shore spots, anchor up, do a little bottom fishing while we had the chum bag out in the hopes something would find our flatline. However, we must not have been the only ones with that idea as we couldn’t find a spot without a boat already on it. Finally had to go out a little further than we had wanted to a nearby wreck to put our plan in action. The so called 2-3's were more like 3-4's+ and got worse as the day went on. It made for a rough afternoon. The bottom bite wasn’t very good for us, but the chum called a few in to our flatline. My buddy caught one of the biggest AJ’s we’ve ever caught and I boated a nice king on my new PENN rod/reel combo...it worked great & I think I’m really going to like it. That’s about all we caught worth mentioning. Salvaged a rough day with some good fillets & learned a lot about our electronics that’ll help us later in the year.....can’t complain too much.....beats sitting on the couch.

Only to return to Nashville on Sunday evening to the aftermath of a mini flood Saturday night while I was gone that did a number on my fence.....I know how my next few weekends will be spent :(

Nice report. You have some good looking dirt up there!
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,167 Officer
    Good luck getting section of fence mended up. One of these days you'll come down here and the weather will cooperate in both TN and FL

Thanks. It looks like pretty crummy weather down there for the next few days & more heavy rains up here again this weekend. I'll be prepared this time & have fence sections removed just in case!!

Livin' the Dream !
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 744 Officer
    Nicely done, as i always say it's tuff at times being a road worrier. But i wouldn't have it any other way being able to fish the east coast and gulf just makes it more fun but it's work.
    Sting