Checked by Lee Co Sheriffs boat!

We were checked for all safety equipment by Lee Co. Sheriff boat today. Inflatable with triple 300hp. Eight officers dressed in camo, armed to the hilt with firearms. Two young coast guard on board. Checked flares, fire esh, pfds, throwable, horn, plus questioned about what fish we caught. Also checked everyone's ID, removed from wallet. They were courteous but looked like they were going to war.
What's going on, when a few very innocent fishermen 4 miles from Sanibel lighthouse going home for the day are checked like this this? Why Lee Co. officers?

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Hahahaha... I'm surprised you made it this long w/out this pleasant experience. It's eve better when the coasties do it to you while 52nm from the hill in an inflatable launched from a 90' cutter with the big gun looking at you. The only thing that makes that more pleasant is when they spend an hour on board while you're fishing a tournament. Yeah... get a bit antsy and politely ask them to hurry up and see what happens. I'll just put this way, you'll be asked to calm down and keep your hands where guardsmen can see them.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    CALMSEAS wrote: »
    We were checked for all safety equipment by Lee Co. Sheriff boat today. Inflatable with triple 300hp. Eight officers dressed in camo, armed to the hilt with firearms. Two young coast guard on board. Checked flares, fire esh, pfds, throwable, horn, plus questioned about what fish we caught. Also checked everyone's ID, removed from wallet. They were courteous but looked like they were going to war.
    What's going on, when a few very innocent fishermen 4 miles from Sanibel lighthouse going home for the day are checked like this this? Why Lee Co. officers?

Well obviously they were looking for something specific and came prepared. However, while waiting, they have to be productive so they do safety checks and look for criminals with outstanding warrants.
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    Nothing like civilian law enforcement officers dressing in para military uniforms. This is what over a decade of war has brought to our nation's mentality. They are civilians. They are police officers. They are not supposed to be focussed on camoflage, cover, and concealment from an enemy. The yare not the military. That is not their role, they are to protect and serve the civilian public. Probably had their boots bloused too.

The CG is the military, no arguments about being armed or dressed as such. LEO is not. Ok, a traffic stop or boat inspection does not require a SWAT mentality. And if you are always afraid of "what could happen" then don't do the job. The more the line blurs between police and military, the more likelyhood of a loss of rights.

Call me :willynilly
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,032 Captain
    Hey Dude, they're doing what we pay them to do.
    No harm, no foul.
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    Last week someone posted about the FWC using a drone to take photos offshore and then meeting the boat at the dock to cite them for a violation. I thought that had to be B.S., then today my secretary told me one of her friends had the same thing happen last weekend out of Clearwater. Has anyone had this happen to them?
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    I would like to face the drone in court.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    No harm, no foul.

You're sick man ........... move to Russia
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    If they were wearing camouflage how did you see them?

Any idiot can catch good guys.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • fltsfshrfltsfshr Posts: 292 Officer
    The coast guard's testing their new drones and inter agency cooperation. You all are the test subjects.

It's easy to catch the good guys.

fltsfshr
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    fltsfshr wrote: »
    The coast guard's testing their new drones and inter agency cooperation. You all are the test subjects.

It's easy to catch the good guys.

fltsfshr

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/coast-guard-tests-drones-from-florida-to-find-missing-boaters-and-catch/1074878

I guess it is not B.S.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Seems like a logical idea to me. I'd be pretty happy to have a drone locate me if I were to become disabled 40 miles offshore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't have a problem with using drones for looking for boaters in distress or people running drugs. I do have a bit of a problem with using drones to sit over a boat and watch them for no good reason for extended periods of time. I wonder how women who like to take their tops off when they are offshore would feel about a predator drone watching them.
    I'd be happy to volunteer to watch them if that would help out ... :rotflmao
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Totally irrevelent.
    I get a kick out of folks like you.
    You complain about the game law violators, drug runners, airline security, terrorist intervention, but critisize law enforcement people who are doing what we pay them to do.
    Talk about a thankless job??!!!
    Totally irrevelent.
    You complain about the game law violators, drug runners, airline security, terrorist intervention, but critisize law enforcement people who are doing what we pay them to do.

Just seems like a bit of overkill to use a 13.5 million dollar drone to watch people fish. Seems like that money would be better spent paying those hard working law enforcement guys a little better.
  • nobrainsnobrains Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Kind of funny, I can imagine a discussion that goes along the lines of..."these drones out there and no reports of criminals being caught, why don't they use those things for poachers and what-not once they've cleared a sector? Heck it would give the operators an opportunity to sharpen their skills instead of wasting taxpayer dollars just flyin' these things around."

I believe they call that 'damned if you do and damned if you don't.'
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,540 Captain
    No harm, no foul.
    It's not what I would pay them to do, I especially wouldn't pay them to dress like soldiers.
    Totally irrevelent.

No one is criticizing the LEOs themselves that are getting paid to enforce laws. The complaint is the abuse of technology and infringement on personal freedoms. Just like no one bashes troops even if you disagree with a war. The badge stands for government not individuals and the people in charge of badges need to know the line between a domestic para military force and civilian law enforcement.
    I have a question for you.
    How is it an abuse of a personal freedom when a law enforcement officer asks you for your fishing license, or politely asks if he can look in your cooler?
    And explain to me the difference between a "domestic para military force" and a law enforcement officer.
    This "domestic para military" stuff would indicate to me a vigilante action.
    This is clearly not the way it went down.
    The officers were dressed in the proper uniform, showed their credentials and went about their job. Professionaly.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,383 AG
    I believe most would argue that it's an unreasonable search without any probable cause. I believe in this country we are presumed innocent until proven guilty, after all. Don't warrant-less searches violate this premise?
    How is it an abuse of a personal freedom when a law enforcement officer asks you for your fishing license, or politely asks if he can look in your cooler?
    And explain to me the difference between a "domestic para military force" and a law enforcement officer.
    The officers were dressed in the proper uniform, showed their credentials and went about their job. Professionaly.

Well, maybe we need to keep an eye on you as well.

I see it totally different and think it is absolutely unreasonable serving absolutely no useful purpose. These guys under the color of law running around using half a million dollars of taxpayer equipment, packing heavy gear to hassle - and that is all they do - the general recreational fisherman is pitiful.

Folks with midget mentalities allow this to happen and very unfortunately these folks are the majority ... morally bankrupt ... makes me sick.

Maybe these ding dongs time could be better spent looking for bad guys like the ones who just stole the pathfinder??????
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 742 Officer
    Approaching a boat, what looks different about a boat that is stolen from a boat that's not stolen?
    What looks different from good guys in a boat and bad guys in a boat?

These guys might very well be the ones that find that Pathfinder. Think about what they'll have to do to get it.
  • magnum06magnum06 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    It cracks me up to hear such a professional real estate broker talk about moral bankruptcy. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black!!!!! Real estate agent and morals, thats funny. How about telling them thank you for trying to keep our waters safe!!! If you don't like it, try another country, nobody is holding you hostage!!!!
  • CALMSEASCALMSEAS Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I POSTED THREAD AS A HEADS UP TO FELLOW BOATERS, SO THAT THEY CHECK THAT THEY HAVE ALL THEIR REQUIRED STUFF ON BOARD. ALSO, SURPRISED THAT LEE CO. WHO HAS BUDGET PROBLEMS WOULD BE SPENDING ALL THE MONEY FOR SUCH AN EXPENSIVE PATROL BOAT & EXCESSIVE CREW, WITH USCG, FWC, HOMELAND SECURITY, SANIBEL POLICE, ETC. ETC, ETC. HAVING PATROL BOATS IN THE AREA.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 742 Officer
    Thanks for the post. Chances are if it was multi-agency it may be some sort of training and there's probably federal grant money paying for it.

Be glad to...
    4th Amendment probable cause

Law enforcement is a civilian organization for the purpose of enforcing laws. Since when is proper uniform for civilian law enforcement BDUs that is known as none other than military uniforms worn not just by our armed forces but all other recognized national military forces around the world? Why should civilian Leo be undistinguished in uniform style than a military unit such as the coast guard? They are not tasked as defenders of our national security and are bound by laws the military is not with regard to authority. The more the line blurs, the mentality blurs.
    The first face you will see should there be a face of martial law or loss of civil liberties will not be the full on military but rather a militarized police force. Study history. Cuba, Russia, East Germany, Iraq...etc
    I do not blame the officers on duty and I am sure they were professional. But that mentality must change.
    magnum06 wrote: »
    It cracks me up to hear such a professional real estate broker talk about moral bankruptcy. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black!!!!! Real estate agent and morals, thats funny. How about telling them thank you for trying to keep our waters safe!!! If you don't like it, try another country, nobody is holding you hostage!!!!

Now you've exposed yourself as an idiot to make such wild assumptions. It clarifies the exact problem I described ... midget mentalities like yours.

This has ZERO to do with individuals ... it is a culture, mentality, that causes the problem and allows it to continue and expand.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    I try to out run them in the skinny when they try to pull me over.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • nitelite08nitelite08 Posts: 302 Officer
    I was fishing Chino Island last week with Dad and a buddy from sarasota. Saw a boat that looked like it had way to many people on board come from behind the power lines and over by the oyster beds. Turned out to be LCSO in an unmarked boat but had the light on the top. Didn't mess with us but about an hour later they came ripping through the flats again and got stuck on the oyster beds. They got off the beds after they all did a little wading and pulling. Fun to watch. I would of helped if they needed it.
    You're absolutely right!!
    Anyone who doesn't agree with your paranoid tea party ideas is an idiot with a midget mentality and needs to be watched! By whom?? You??
    You gotta be kidding me!
    You represent yourself as a professional real estate agent?
    Good luck!