Skip to main content
Home Politics

In a first, black voter turnout rate passes whites

chubascochubasco Senior Membervoice of enlightenment in a sea of idiotsPosts: 18,386 AG
WASHINGTON (AP) — America's blacks voted at a higher rate than other minority groups in 2012 and by most measures surpassed the white turnout for the first time, reflecting a deeply polarized presidential election in which blacks strongly supported Barack Obama while many whites stayed home.

Had people voted last November at the same rates they did in 2004, when black turnout was below its current historic levels, Republican Mitt Romney would have won narrowly,according to an analysis conducted for The Associated Press.

Census data and exit polling show that whites and blacks will remain the two largest racial groups of eligible voters for the next decade. Last year's heavy black turnout came despite concerns about the effect of new voter-identification laws on minority voting, outweighed by the desire to re-elect the first black president.

William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution, analyzed the 2012 elections for the AP using census data on eligible voters and turnout, along with November's exit polling. He estimated total votes for Obama and Romney under a scenario where 2012 turnout rates for all racial groups matched those in 2004. Overall, 2012 voter turnout was roughly 58 percent, down from 62 percent in 2008 and 60 percent in 2004.

The analysis also used population projections to estimate the shares of eligible voters by race group through 2030. The numbers are supplemented with material from the Pew Research Center and George Mason University associate professor Michael McDonald, a leader in the field of voter turnout who separately reviewed aggregate turnout levels across states, as well as AP interviews with the Census Bureau and other experts. The bureau is scheduled to release data on voter turnout in May.

Overall, the findings represent a tipping point for blacks, who for much of America's history were disenfranchised and then effectively barred from voting until passage of the Voting Rights Act in 1965.

But the numbers also offer a cautionary note to both Democrats and Republicans after Obama won in November with a historically low percentage of white supporters. While Latinos are now the biggest driver of U.S. population growth, they still trail whites and blacks in turnout and electoral share, because many of the Hispanics in the country are children or noncitizens.

In recent weeks, Republican leaders have urged a "year-round effort" to engage black and other minority voters, describing a grim future if their party does not expand its core support beyond white males.

The 2012 data suggest Romney was a particularly weak Republican candidate, unable to motivate white voters let alone attract significant black or Latino support. Obama's personal appeal and the slowly improving economy helped overcome doubts and spur record levels of minority voters in a way that may not be easily replicated for Democrats soon.

Romney would have erased Obama's nearly 5 million-vote victory margin and narrowly won the popular vote if voters had turned out as they did in 2004, according to Frey's analysis. Then, white turnout was slightly higher and black voting lower.

More significantly, the key states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Florida and Colorado would have tipped in favor of Romney, handing him the presidency if the outcome of other states remained the same.

"The 2012 turnout is a milestone for blacks and a huge potential turning point," said Andra Gillespie, a political science professor at Emory University who has written extensively on black politicians. "What it suggests is that there is an 'Obama effect' where people were motivated to support Barack Obama. But it also means that black turnout may not always be higher, if future races aren't as salient."

Whit Ayres, a Republican consultant who is advising Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, a possible 2016 presidential contender, says the last election reaffirmed that the Republican Party needs "a new message, a new messenger and a new tone." Change within the party need not be "lock, stock and barrel," Ayres said, but policy shifts such as Republican support for broad immigration legislation will be important to woo minority voters over the longer term.

"It remains to be seen how successful Democrats are if you don't have Barack Obama at the top of the ticket," he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/04/28/black-voter-turnout/2120025/
Chubasco.jpg

Replies

• m9000m9000 Senior Member Posts: 2,188 Captain
    Black turnout in 2014 will be interesting- With no Obama on the ticket, will turnout in the Black community go down?
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Senior Member Posts: 24,412 AG
    This explains in a more believable way than most things I have read what happened.

I do have a question though, can we now get rid of Affirmative action and the voting rights act, since it is no longer needed, as proven by the article?
  • Dr. BogasDr. Bogas Senior Member Posts: 533 Officer
    When you vote twice or more it adds up.
  • dstockwelldstockwell Senior Member Posts: 13,833 AG
    I do have a question though, can we now get rid of Affirmative action and the voting rights act, since it is no longer needed, as proven by the article?

Probably can't get rid of voting rights act - the Act prohibits states from imposing any "voting qualification or prerequisite to voting, or standard, practice, or procedure. No guarantee states would not try and change something.

Probably can't get rid of AA either - requires that government employers "not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, color, or national origin" and "take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin"
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
    The voting rights act get in the way of every project about 50-percent of my clients want to do. Revenue would be much greater if the silly act did not need a huge report and a nine month wait for the silly federal review.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Senior Member TampaPosts: 5,623 Admiral
    wasn't the black vote 92% pro H?
    Does that mean black people are............racists?
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • CyclistCyclist Senior Member GvillePosts: 23,340 AG
    The voting rights act get in the way of every project about 50-percent of my clients want to do. Revenue would be much greater if the silly act did not need a huge report and a nine month wait for the silly federal review.

How so?
    Every development project (in the what is it nine state, or is it 11 state voting rights act geographic region) is required to demonstrate that requirement of the act are met and that all demographic segments are being served. The report takes 60-90 days to prepare and then the federal government sits on it for 6 to 9 months, in one case close to a year. This literally stalls a project for a a given time because no money is being spent on engineering, environmental matters, construction until the project is blessed. Tis a rare development where the owner is willing to run the report and engineering concurrently, although it has happened, it is, again, rare.

I never heard of such a thing until I moved to FL. I was not only caught off guard but shocked this requirement is needed in the 21st century. In my view just another way to stall private companies from being successful.
  • navigator2navigator2 Senior Member Posts: 22,521 AG
    Every development project (in the what is it nine state, or is it 11 state voting rights act geographic region) is required to demonstrate that requirement of the act are met and that all demographic segments are being served. The report takes 60-90 days to prepare and then the federal government sits on it for 6 to 9 months, in one case close to a year. This literally stalls a project for a a given time because no money is being spent on engineering, environmental matters, construction until the project is blessed. Tis a rare development where the owner is willing to run the report and engineering concurrently, although it has happened, it is, again, rare.

I never heard of such a thing until I moved to FL. I was not only caught off guard but shocked this requirement is needed in the 21st century. In my view just another way to stall private companies from being successful.

That's nuts. Public or private projects? And what the **** does that have to do with voting? :huh I'm not doubting you one bit, just amazed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Private development...........you can't "upset the voting block, voting district, or demographics of the area" by the construction of a new development. It is impossible for a developer to know exactly what will be constructed and who will purchase the units three or so years before they are built. I will let you connect the dots for yourself about the quality of the report(s), their statements and the review process.

Oh, and the report isn't reviewed at the local level or even the regional level (say, Hotlanta) it goes to D.C.....think about that for a while.
    Private development...........you can't "upset the voting block, voting district, or demographics of the area" by the construction of a new development. It is impossible for a developer to know exactly what will be constructed and who will purchase the units three or so years before they are built. I will let you connect the dots for yourself about the quality of the report(s), their statements and the review process.

Oh, and the report isn't reviewed at the local level or even the regional level (say, Hotlanta) it goes to D.C.....think about that for a while.

What dooouchebag thinktank came up with THAT? Oh, I know. There are some here that probably applaud that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Senior Member FLPosts: 29,867 AG
    navigator2 wrote: »
    What dooouchebag thinktank came up with THAT? Oh, I know. There are some here that probably applaud that.

The renewal of the law in 2006 easily passed in both Houses and was signed into law by George Bush.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • chubascochubasco Senior Member voice of enlightenment in a sea of idiotsPosts: 18,386 AG
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    The renewal of the law in 2006 easily passed in both Houses and was signed into law by George Bush.

Bush's legacy of destroying the USA just keeps giving and giving.
    Chubasco.jpg
    You're funny Chubbie. If "W" didn't resign it, you would have something to say about that, too.
  • chubascochubasco Senior Member voice of enlightenment in a sea of idiotsPosts: 18,386 AG
    Hey, you had no problem with Nav 2 calling him a "dooouchebag".
    Chubasco.jpg
    Take it up with Nav. That is on him.
    chubasco wrote: »
    Hey, you had no problem with Nav 2 calling him a "dooouchebag".

LBJ was was a whistledick. What of it? Hint: What's the original name of the act?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PhishbohnPhishbohn Senior Member Port Allen, LouisianaPosts: 2,982 Captain
    It's good to see the citizenry exercise their hard fought rights, hope it continues.
    Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson.
  • esteroestero Senior Member EsteroPosts: 2,041 Captain
    Another useless statistic.

60 percent of the time Chub's stats work every time.

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

Phishbohn wrote: »
    It's good to see the citizenry exercise their hard fought rights, hope it continues.

That's not the point. WE was pointing out some useless red tape attached to an act, red tape having nothing to do with voting rights. In other words, a good idea bastardized by idiots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Senior Member Edgewater, FLPosts: 14,632 AG
    chubasco wrote: »
    WASHINGTON (AP) — America's blacks voted at a higher rate than other minority groups in 2012 and by most measures surpassed the white turnout for the first time,

Not that it matters at this point of the discussion/debate/argument, but the operative word is rate, obviously not quantity. I'm sure most of you saw that. I guess the point is, blacks still represent about 20% of the population as a whole, so if 100% of eligible blacks voted, they still might not swing an election. And by the way, 1 in 4 voting age blacks are ineligible because of a felony conviction.
    navigator2 wrote: »
    That's not the point. WE was pointing out some useless red tape attached to an act, red tape having nothing to do with voting rights. In other words, a good idea bastardized by idiots.

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about voter turnout.
    I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about voter turnout.

It was, but the topic changed to the baggage attached to it.

That was my point.:ontopic:wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't think engineering projects should come before protecting ones voting rights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I don't think engineering projects should come before protecting ones voting rights.

And I don't think engineering projects have a damned thing to do with voting rights. They are so mutually exclusive that the whole thing is ridiculous. Can you cite where building a development or community affects any group's ability to vote? I will say, I am not pro development. I went turkey hunting this past weekend in Georgia and was in rural bliss for 3 days. You can say what you want about Louisiana, but there are worse fates. See south Florida. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Incidental issues, sounds like some lawyers got involved.

• Master BlasterMaster Blaster Senior Member Crestview, FLPosts: 381 Deckhand
    The story has to be fictitious in nature...... We all know the GOP does everything in their power to suppress the black vote!!

At least according to the NAACP...the good "reverends'" who have never preached a sermon....and all the other race baiters out there.
    The story has to be fictitious in nature...... We all know the GOP does everything in their power to suppress the black vote!!

At least according to the NAACP...the good "reverends'" who have never preached a sermon....and all the other race baiters out there.

They do, just not very good at it. No surprise there.
    Chubasco.jpg