4/24: Estero Bay Snook Fishing

Work has slowed down so I called Jim (forum member JSTICKUM) for some mid week catchin! We headed out of Week's at 7:15 and loaded up both livewells with pilchards and headed to the nearest fishy mangrove wall. We fished this section for 2 hours live bait chumming, catching snook after snook (they should open snook season this year...but they'll keep it closed). We moved to another area for some redfish but found more snook and a couple jack. After losing a nice redfish to the groves we headed to a flat for some trout. After catching back to back trout over 20" we headed back to the groves to finish off our slam. After a couple more snook and no reds we headed back to weeks just before 2. We finished the day with 17 snook, 2 trout, 2 jack and a catfish. We lost a minimum of 10 snook, 1 redfish and a big flounder. Saw 3 tarpon and a school of jack in the 20-30 # range.
I headed out the next day with my father (who I don't get to fish with that often) out of week's at 8:45 and loaded up with bait and headed to the snook grounds. We fished the section of groves for 2 1/2 hours (catching 12 snook, 2 jack and a redfish) and my dad was getting tired so I wanted to complete his slam with a trout so we headed to a flat. After catching 3 upper slot trout he finally got one of his own to finish off his slam with a 22" trout (not a huge slam but still a slam). We called it a day and got back to week's just before 1.
th_DSC02703_zps8ddfd4db.jpgth_DSC02701_zps43e281a4.jpgth_DSC02706_zps13b66999.jpg

Replies

• dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    Nice post Binder...talked with Jim that day and was looking forward to seeing the video. It's always nice when you get a bunch of livies so you can chum like that. Was hoping to get y'all on my vessel, but had some mechanical issues. May try and get out later this week...I'll have Jim give you a shout if we do. Oh, and cool you got to fish with your Dad....don't get to fish with mine as much as I used to....great stuff.
  • gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer
    Tell me about your bait thrower, looks pretty cool!!! Great work as usual.
    a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,873 Captain
    gumgator wrote: »
    Tell me about your bait thrower, looks pretty cool!!! Great work as usual.

Looks like a wiffle ball bat cut in half... pretty standard.

Nice work on the fish btw. Other than losing that one fish after getting stuck in the trees... how do you like using 6#? Is it braid or mono?
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • rugbyryrugbyry Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Pro style
  • StevieDStevieD Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Great post Binder, way to stick em'....was on Estero a few days ago and the snook were indeed going nuts....great job again
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Looks like a wiffle ball bat cut in half... pretty standard.

Nice work on the fish btw. Other than losing that one fish after getting stuck in the trees... how do you like using 6#? Is it braid or mono?
    Most of the lines I use are mono ( Suffix Elite ) , and I love it , going to 4 lb test for beach Snook this season ( where there are no trees ) ,,,,
    That video came out great John , BUT there is a correction I must add to it , it was the leader that wore through on that Snook , not the line , and it is still a heart break ,,,,,
    when is the blooper footage comeing , I can not wait for that , I,ll give ya a call some time this week to see if ya wana do it again , I just need to take a breather from the vaca I just got back from
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Very cool video ! 4lb mono or 6 quite impressive
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....