Home General Fishing

Abrasion resistance

Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
Discussing this topic on another thread, but it got way off topic. I don't want to disrespect the OP's thread so I'm starting a new one.

It's a real simple question...Pound for pound which line has more abrasion resistance: mono or braid?

I say mono but others disagree. The only way they are equal in abrasion resisfance is if you compare them by diameter. In that case you would roughly be comparing #12 mono to #50 braid which is rediculous.

12lb mono has more abrasion resistance than 12lb braid...true or false?

Thanks for any input. I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam.
The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus

Replies

• DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Well I learned that this is how the list goes:

From most resistance to least

1. Fluorocarbon

2. Mono

3.Braid
    Let's go fishing!
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    in my experiences braid stands up better than mono around pilings and such.. mono just seems to part immediately when it gets for instance wrapped on a piling.. yes you are right that 12lb mono and 12lb braid mono would have the edge.. but in my opinion it should be judged by diamater.. it seems like i have more of a chance fishing around structure with braid, as ive had many fish ive muscled back out of structure.. never remember doing that with mono, once it was wrapped that fishy go bye bye..
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    X2 with the comment above
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    Lol guess we posted at the same time I meant to say x2 with dragscreamer
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,994 Captain
    Well I learned that this is how the list goes:

From most resistance to least

1. Fluorocarbon

2. Mono

3.Braid

This^

It's not rocket science folks.
  • loud by designloud by design Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    in my experiences braid stands up better than mono around pilings and such.. mono just seems to part immediately when it gets for instance wrapped on a piling.. yes you are right that 12lb mono and 12lb braid mono would have the edge.. but in my opinion it should be judged by diamater.. it seems like i have more of a chance fishing around structure with braid, as ive had many fish ive muscled back out of structure.. never remember doing that with mono, once it was wrapped that fishy go bye bye..

Though it is true that you may have been able to muscle that fish out using braid I would also think that the same circumstance would be true with the equivalent lb mono. Either way whether you use braid or mono 20 lb line is still roughly 20lb line give or take a little bit. If your going to compare braid to mono for abrasion resistance you have to do it apples to apples and compare 10-10 or whatever lb line your using.

If your fishing for sport like we do not to feed yourself or your family and fish light line (in our case) 10lb mono is more abrasion resistant than braid. On the other hand I have seen circumstances where heavy braid has cut into wood showing that some heavy braided can be very resistant to abrasion.
    Though it is true that you may have been able to muscle that fish out using braid I would also think that the same circumstance would be true with the equivalent lb mono. Either way whether you use braid or mono 20 lb line is still roughly 20lb line give or take a little bit. If your going to compare braid to mono for abrasion resistance you have to do it apples to apples and compare 10-10 or whatever lb line your using.

If your fishing for sport like we do not to feed yourself or your family and fish light line (in our case) 10lb mono is more abrasion resistant than braid. On the other hand I have seen circumstances where heavy braid has cut into wood showing that some heavy braided can be very resistant to abrasion.

lmao.. 90% of the time i'm on 8lb braid... you know, for sport... im not some bridge goober dude the majority of my fishing goes on in less than two feet of water.. fishing for sport, like WE do... lmao..
    and if you fish around structure and pilings with 10lb mono, well... you're setting yourself up for failures in my opinion..
    mono can be cut cleanly more easily.. it never gets the chance to get the abraison because it usually breaks before that.. i lost a snook two weeks back that took me in the pilings, on my 8lb braid ( i was planning to fish the flats but wind kept me off it, fished structure instead and only had my casting setups) and when he broke me off i had like 30 feet of frayed line.. mono would have cut clean long before that.. i havent used mono for about 4 years, and i never will again either.. :grin
    I use 20 braid for skyway, now i got 8 braid for the flats and a med hevy 6'6 ugly stick with 30 lb braid....never used it but i will probably use it for big swimbaits for snook under bridges or bottom fishing...i will only use mono and fluoro as a leader, everything else is braid
    Let's go fishing!
    theres nothin better than 8lb braid on the flats man.. it just sails off that reel... :grin
    theres nothin better than 8lb braid on the flats man.. it just sails off that reel... :grin

The way it touches the guides when I cast my lure/bait to a redfish helps me get into Zen Mode :grin
    Let's go fishing!
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    i like braid, i tried mono again for the first time in years, and it made me feel like i was cheating using braid.
    no way id use mono again, unless maybe some offshore stuff, but inshore/nearshore and freshwater, braid.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    yes you are right that 12lb mono and 12lb braid mono would have the edge.. but in my opinion it should be judged by diamater...

So you think comparing #12 mono to #50 braid is the proper method of comparison?
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    So you think comparing #12 mono to #50 braid is the proper method of comparison?

I tend to fish braid that's ~2X the strength (& ~1/2 the diameter) of the mono I would otherwise be fishing... For example on ~3000 size reel, I'd probably fish 10lb mono or 20lb braid... In that case I think the 20lb braid has the advantage re-abrasion resistance...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    I tend to fish braid that's ~2X the strength (& ~1/2 the diameter) of the mono I would otherwise be fishing... For example on ~3000 size reel, I'd probably fish 10lb mono or 20lb braid... In that case I think the 20lb braid has the advantage re-abrasion resistance...

Yea, I'm thinking this must be the reason some people think braid is more abrasion resistant. In my mind comparing two different lb test lines is an apples to oranges comparison, but at least it makes sense.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Apples to oranges completely! I notice savemyriver doesn't have the cajones to post!
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Mono is more abrasion resistant than braid. I fish the shipping channels for gag grouper, usually once or twice a week when they're in season. Grouper rock you up all the time, 40lb mono is at least twice as abrasion resistant as 80lb braid

Yes...if you can get the same amount of 12 mono on the reel as 50 braid (that's just a for instance) why wouldn't you use the stuff which at that diameter you know is more abrasion resistant? Braid is superior to mono in many ways
    Light braid is like hair thin .. at that lb test of course it will cut
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    Q JohnD with the rock video... As we all know, but must remember, all line is not equal no matter how you compare it. If John will post his video, again, you can draw your own conlusion from that. Ande Back Country is the line I want when using mono. Limp, less memory and very strong! One could do this same test on their own with their preferred line.
    That's a good video, but for some reason they used different lb test line. This is all the conspiracy theorists need to claim its bogus and draw comparisons to global warming. :shrug

If a test was done using all the same lb test, ie...#20, i'm pretty sure the results will show mono with the most abrasion resistance.

Of course these results will be ignored because braid is above reproach.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    This chart is on the power pro website.

100 lb braid has the same diameter as 20 lb Ande Backcountry (.018)

XFAMs6E.png
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Like others, I think a better comparison is not pound for pound, but diameter for diameter.
    This may be a little off topic but at times I get lost and confused in all the test and hype so I have to remind myself.... Braid, if you're going to be making an effort to MOVE the fish away from structure and mono if you know you're more than likely going to have to battle the structure. It's gonna get cut either way but I guess you have to pick your battle.
    Yea there are lots of factors to consider when picking line. I use 10# power pro on the flats, but the bottom line is still mono is more abrasion resistan
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,012 Moderator
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Like others, I think a better comparison is not pound for pound, but diameter for diameter.

That is a convoluted way of thinking when you are talking about breaking strength. The amount of pressure needed to break a string, be it mono or braid, whether it is new or abraded, is measured in pounds. Any comparison should thus be made with the same pound test strings, not the same diameter string. And doing a comparison this way, mono will test better than braid.
    That is a convoluted way of thinking when you are talking about breaking strength. The amount of pressure needed to break a string, be it mono or braid, whether it is new or abraded, is measured in pounds. Any comparison should thus be made with the same pound test strings, not the same diameter string. And doing a comparison this way, mono will test better than braid.

But isnt that braids claim to fame? You can't really have one without the other because braid is smaller or mono is bigger, however you see it. I think the diameter "argument" is another way to try and keep all things equal. Braid people will say "of course mono won, it's thicker" , etc... IMO, that was the reason for the discrpency in the "rock test".
    Braid people will say "of course mono won, it's thicker"

It's like arguing with a woman. No offense to women.
    I honestly think it's irrelevant because people use fluorocarbon and mono leaders on braid anyway
    Let's go fishing!