BEYOND THE DRY TORTUGAS BANKS

Replies

• bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    It would also be cool if on one of those days or nights we could do some swordfishing
  • snappersnatchersnappersnatcher Posts: 134 Officer
    I would like to catch yellowtails and kingfish if so I'm in guys :crossed:crossed
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 522 Officer
    Anything under 500 feet and I have no need for an electric rig, a quality lever drag two speed small size reel like an Accurate 665 or the newer designation 600 size or for that matter any 3/0 -4/0 sized lever drag two speed reel with 65 lb. test Braid- Deneema-Spectra will work perfectly, if you hook up you just switch to low gear and slowly bring up the beast, no need to turn Googanized and panick by reeling up fast, obviously circle hook will be the norm and once you hook a grouppa' it ain't going no where, after the first 75 feet it will just float up slowly so just reel, the eyes will be popping out of it's face by then, LOL. If you just need to do a bait check do so with the reel in high gear.
    Like I said this trip is for man and women with BIg Cojones.
    This might just turn out to be a new adventure for El Capitan Yankee!
  • HeavyhitterHeavyhitter Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Hoogan wrote: »
    Anything under 500 feet and I have no need for an electric rig, a quality lever drag two speed small size reel like an Accurate 665 or the newer designation 600 size or for that matter any 3/0 -4/0 sized lever drag two speed reel with 65 lb. test Braid- Deneema-Spectra will work perfectly, if you hook up you just switch to low gear and slowly bring up the beast, no need to turn Googanized and panick by reeling up fast, obviously circle hook will be the norm and once you hook a grouppa' it ain't going no where, after the first 75 feet it will just float up slowly so just reel, the eyes will be popping out of it's face by then, LOL. If you just need to do a bait check do so with the reel in high gear.
    Like I said this trip is for man and women with BIg Cojones.
    This might just turn out to be a new adventure for El Capitan Yankee!

Verry Interesting!!!:fishing
  • HeavyhitterHeavyhitter Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Keep Me Posted!
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Hoogan:
    Trip out to pulley ridge (Nov25,2010) was a long ride out and we did get warned that if current is bad you can't anchor. Something longer than the 4 days we had would have been useful. We did get lucky when we started fishing that evening as it was calm and we had no current in 140+. We fished an area with lots of broad leaf like lettuce. The muttons were hungry for dead bait but happened to be all under 8 lbs ( maybe the big girls are all deeper) while the hot 15# RG were only hitting jigs. Our eve pit stop was 2 drops ( small sample) and the first was better than the 2nd but the muttons were around in good numbers largely unmolested. Shortly after 10+pm we moved away to anchor for the night to sleep ( Capt). The next day more driving around and then we got into the deep drops for Snowy/Tiles that were on fire in 800-1000'. We headed back to the fort after that. Can't say we checked the bottom too much.

At the fort the bigger muttons/blacks were happy to entertain us.

The Viking have had success fishing the area and their latest trip taking the 5* home have some big fish to show- Noreast forum-Partyboat section. Fishing the Springs/Sinkholes maybe their area of expertise.

If Greg decides it's worth burning the gas to get out there, then we should give the area a serious prowl. The fish from P. Ridge all have much darker pigments than the DT cousins and are pretty. I don't doubt the fishing is great there but pack some 2-3lbs and in betweens to cover the options. In Cape May we consistently fish 300-600' with 2 lbs or more on a drifting boat with some current using conventional 4/0 with braid dropping back consistently to tend bottom till we hit 700-800' out for tiles and occational small bluefish/dogfish. As long as there are a couple of Electric onboard, you can fill the coolers with Snowy/tiles but a challenge with 10-15 onboard and hitting 1000' with more than 2 - 3 lines in. The Viking do this on a regular basis but usually in 600 -700' and less current. It's an Expedition that needs mother nature's help and proper preparation of tackle ( variety of weights/heavy duty hooks/jigs for bottom fish).

Definitely a fun trip for the fisherman. 10-12hrs steam is typical in the NE and to the Elbows, they are 2 days trip. With 4-5 days, lots of time to experiment.
  • DaveBDaveB Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Greg got a lot of experience fishing in depths with currents and wind up in New England . If anyone can pull this off its him. Sounds like a really fun trip!
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 798 Officer
    DaveB wrote: »
    Greg got a lot of experience fishing in depths with currents and wind up in New England . If anyone can pull this off its him. Sounds like a really fun trip!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave.

These guys would crap themselves if they saw the conditions on Georges, especially the northern edge and Cultivator Shoals. Hell I am amazed myself with some of the trips we pulled off. It is a evil place.

Spent the morning talking with a comm guy and was a wealth of info. I am talking to him again tonight and said he would pass along a bunch of numbers and areas.

The question is what are we fishing for? Mutts are easy, west of the closed area out to the elbow they are plentiful. Or is the deep dropping what people want?

Remember in the GOM we only get a 2 day limit, always. SA gives us 3 day limit.

I wonder how people are going to like a long ride. I remember all to well how you guys get on the wreck trips?

Greg
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,661 Captain
    i would be interested in the trip.

***THE GUY IN MY AVATAR IS BLAIR WICKSTROM***

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    Capt Derek around the corner knows it pretty good.
    "You'll get your weather"

These guys would crap themselves if they saw the conditions on Georges, especially the northern edge and Cultivator Shoals. Hell I am amazed myself with some of the trips we pulled off. It is a evil place.
    Greg

Big rips, rapid depth changes, historical death trap for boats. No big deal! :shrug Nice current diagram on this one too!
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    I don't mind a 2 day limit if we can get 20 big boy mutts and then target some deep fish like snowys and warsaws if that's possible?i think this trip should be a "monster quest"
    Well this is the week.

I am running around full speed today trying to get the Capt's exhaust fixed.

Since the work will not be done till the end of the week I have secured another boat to take. Of course now I have to get my electronics in order since this boat is open to the weather. I have found a Panasonic ToughBook to use so I will be able to use my WindPlot software. Thankfully it has a top of the line Simrad sounder. I expect to be gone for 3-4 days. I will have my SAT phone so I will be checking messages. Since the boat moves along at 30 knots I should be able to cover plenty of ground. It is a big ocean out there.

Should be there Tuesday in the early AM.

More when I get back.

Greg
    Good luck out there! Should be an interesting ride.
  • Mr. EdMr. Ed Posts: 39 Deckhand
    I'm a guy that is stuck in the midwest. Sadly haven't been to the Keys in a couple years. I do like to come here and stay in touch a bit and found this thread amazing. How cool is it that someone asks the question and now here you have Mr YC headed to check it out. Like I said... amazing.
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand

Spent the morning talking with a comm guy and was a wealth of info. I am talking to him again tonight and said he would pass along a bunch of numbers and areas.

The question is what are we fishing for? Mutts are easy, west of the closed area out to the elbow they are plentiful. Or is the deep dropping what people want?

Remember in the GOM we only get a 2 day limit, always. SA gives us 3 day limit.

I wonder how people are going to like a long ride. I remember all to well how you guys get on the wreck trips?

Greg

This trip would be awesome. You have my interest Captain. I will put my soul on your hands Captain Greg, you have the experience of the Northern Seas and the Trekking of that boat along the whole eastern shore every year. I was on the wreck trip a couple of years back and I loved it. Too bad people's interest dropped by the next year. I would not mind the long ride and do not mind dropping my jigs in less than 600 feet, I have done it a few times already and is not as bad as many think it is. A mix deep drop hand crank , fishing behind shrimp boats, or shallower bottom fishing is fine with me. I just need a month's notice but cannot fish the first three days of any month.

By the way, thanks for this thread Art. The pushing of boundaries sounds awesome.
  • RawhideRawhide Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    If the weather forecast holds I am headed out to the loop current out of Marco Island this Friday afternoon. I have made this trip several times in the past but have not had much time to bottom fish because we have largely spent our trips chasing billfish. If anyone can provide me a location to check out I'd be happy to do it on the way in from pelagic fishing outside of Pulley. Our Winter Custom Yacht has Volvo DPS so anchoring is not an issue for us. Press a button and drop.
    No anchoring in this box-

Untitled_zps90897cde.png

Be careful the USCG Falcon jet will be around.

Groceries are loaded. Fuel is done. Just trying to figure out this VMS system. Not a fan of using somebody else's boat but I am lucky to have it available to me.

Pushing off the dock in a hour. Back by Friday. Have a personal appointment.

Greg
    Caught on the YC during open ARS season last year, this will be part of the pot of gold gentleman and ladies fisherman.
    Needless to say I'm on this adventure and respectfully request my designated fishing spot. :)

True American Red (23.5 lbs.)
  • PINK SNAPPER SNATCHERPINK SNAPPER SNATCHER Posts: 175 Officer
    Nice fish.
    Nice fish.

Needless to say... What an honor to be complemented from Pink Snapp Snatcher - Albert Alvarez my Yankee Capts fishing mentor. I'm glad the passion still burning.

BTW - thanks for the secret fishing spot on the boat.
  • PINK SNAPPER SNATCHERPINK SNAPPER SNATCHER Posts: 175 Officer
    Pink passion is an addiction with one cure... The first thump the run off , the setting of the hook, the battle, and the cold steel of the gaff .
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    Pink passion is an addiction with one cure... The first thump the run off , the setting of the hook, the battle, and the cold steel of the gaff .

Nailed it

Can't wait to hear the outcome on Friday
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • macarelo70macarelo70 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    :fishing
    Hoogan wrote: »
    Caught on the YC during open ARS season last year, this will be part of the pot of gold gentleman and ladies fisherman.
    Needless to say I'm on this adventure and respectfully request my designated fishing spot. :)

True American Red (23.5 lbs.)

Art those ARS are gonna look like babies compared to the ones that are gonna be caught on
    The pulley banks (beyond the dry tortugas ) i imagine that place being that far away should be
    Like a "jurassic park "kind of ,what do you think
  • RawhideRawhide Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Looking less likely I will be able to run all the way to the Continental Shelf to billfish this weekend (weather). However, I may try and get out to Pulley Ridge near the 25 line if the weather permits. I will let you guys know how we do if we make it out there.
    I'm back.

A long 3 days of driving around. Give me some time to get organized. Just left the Capts and found a broken freezer so I need to deal with that ASAP.

Plenty to report.

Greg
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,401 Officer
    Looking forward to hearing about what you found. Sucks about the freezer. Hope it wasn't too big a mess or too expensive.
  • Mac53Mac53 Posts: 205 Deckhand
    Capt Greg,

The things you do for your customers is inspiring!

Much Thanks and can't wait to fish the Jurrasic Park areas!
    Mac
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing about what you found. Sucks about the freezer. Hope it wasn't too big a mess or too expensive.

Ditto...boy that must be a reall mess.:hairraiser
    Capt Bill
    Lets just say i had to use a mask and scuba tank so I could breathe doing the clean up.

A failed $20 part. I swear it never stops.

Greg