BEYOND THE DRY TORTUGAS BANKS

I frequently wish I was as fortunate as the folks in Cali... "well, I'm going on a 10 day in May" or "this will be my first 15 dayer" :cry
Frankly, my wife would kill me if I flew to the Left Side to go on a long range out of SD when we have not been on a vacation together for years!
So... I've been wondering for several years now, what about a 4-6 day vogage beyond the Dry Tortugas Banks?
The possiblities of Giant Red Snapper, monster Warsaw, truck size Black grouper, a school of Wahoo, 100 pound YFT and of course 36-inch plus Muttoniums !!!
I'm talking about a real trip BEYOND DT's , another 6 hour boat ride past Loggerhead, somewhere between Dry Tortugas and Campeche's Bank !
Anybody's done it?
What's out there?
Is it fishable? meaning: abundant system of reefs and legdes in 300' or under ?
Are we allowed to fish international waters or end up in the Eastern edged of Mexican waters?
I have no doubt that there's plenty of interest from the community of Dry Tortugas "junkies" willing to make the trip ($$$$) say a 5-6 day long range bus ride!
I can only wish, has anybody been there?

:USA

Replies

• HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    You might look at the IRON MAN trips on the Y/C schedule...they are 4 days!
    Capt Bill
  • gtpvettegtpvette Posts: 181 Officer
    I wonder if there are any boats like the SD fleet that operate in the Gulf?? I've been on the Royal Polaris twice,,, I tell my wife it was Cadillac fishing. Breakfast at 5, pastries at 10, lunch at noon, dinner at 7. Hot shower every night and two people to a room. Oh yea,,, I was told the baitwell was 5,000 gallons. Not sure about that but we fished nothing but live baits the whole time. No real limits on fish that I was aware of either,, and there we a lot of fish caught. I don't know how that would work for Snapper and Grouper in the Gulf.

I've done Andy Griffith, The Fishfinder, Yankeee Fleet and the big cat the Winner out of marathon years ago to the Tourtgas. No disrespect to them but I'm not sure I'd want to be on one of those boat for 6 days. If someone had a boat like the Roal Polaris,,, I'd go.

rp2.jpg

Me and my Father.... happy times

Tuna-3.jpg

Tuna-2.jpg
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fred

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I did some thing like that but we flew into Mexico rather then a 2 day steam there and 2 day steam back to S/D,,,saw the rooster and few others out there on the Yellow Fin Tuna.

Our trip was 9 days on the boat and fished out 26 foot Panga's with tiller steering, 2 men to a boat plus the guide... out of Magdalena Bay

I came home a put my gear in a corner and didn't look at it for 3 weeks...trip of a life time!
    Capt Bill
  • FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 576 Officer
    Art,

Have you checked with Greg to see if he would be willing to put something like that together?

Jaun
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Good thread Art. Doesn't Yuri offer a four day trip west of the Fort. I think I recall a report that David (The Great Wall) did a few years ago. Maybe David or Yuri will see this and chime in.
  • PargitoPargito Posts: 48 Deckhand
    This is a great thread. I'd definitely be interested if somekind of trip like this exists. Granted I'd need IV caffeine after the 3rd day and a huge cooler to hold all the fish cause last YC trip the old 125 was stuffed to the max!

As far as fishability I know a buddy of mine goes out of Tarpon Springs and steams southwest to do deep dropping and hes caught queens up to about 25lb and 20lb yellow eyes in about 1000. My guess is jurassic park!!
    1000 feet:hairraiser ....sounds like electric reels to me !
    Capt Bill
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,401 Officer
    Jake I think the trips your referring to are the Pulley Ridge trips. I have heard Yuri mention it before. If I recall correctly he said a lot of the area is protected from anchoring. Would be ideal for jigging trip.
  • WildoWildo Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Did several LR trips out of Sandiego. Royal Polaris, Red Rooster III, Ocean Oddyssey... Royal Polaris was Hands down nicest boat but the other 3 weren't to **** shabby either... I miss those type of trips would love if something similar was to be had out here. The laws are totally different though... Out there you fished for the Boats Limit Not your Own limit...... If some guy spends week puking in his bunk during a red hot YFT bite you could catch his allocation and keep them.... Those trips were a blast
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 522 Officer
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    Jake I think the trips your referring to are the Pulley Ridge trips. I have heard Yuri mention it before. If I recall correctly he said a lot of the area is protected from anchoring. Would be ideal for jigging trip.

That's fine, no need to anchor up... Hector (mr. World record Margate) and I have been fishing and catching Muttons off Dade and Broward for well over a decade, on the drift - without any problems. I got at least half dozen Black grouper from 35 to 43 lbs. that I've caught on the Mucho K off Miami beach all on the drift. Guys I'm dreaming about a trip where the first drop is 12 hours from key west and We don't even see the fort or the light house.
    I know there's gotta be a way to do this !
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 798 Officer
    We went out that way on a 3 day last year.

Not much bottom close together, hence the reason the place is nicknamed "The Desert" once you get west of Riley's and Tortugas Bank. We all know what the wrecks hold at that way.

Once you get to 100 fathoms the deep dropping is great. However the Franklin Loop Current can be a issue. I have a pile of numbers out that way but I figure it would take me a week to get a feel for it. The good thing is the deep drop regs in the GOM are very fair. Much better than the SA.

Since we are here in the summer now maybe I will take a ride and get some answers. It certainly does not scarce me. After fishing on Georges Bank in 3 knots of tide I think I could figure something out. The think that spooks me is the conditions. It is a long ride back to the "reef" if we can't hold bottom out that way.

It would have to be a very limited group with 18-20 people only. It would also be expensive as fuel consumption is going to be high.

If we get enough interest I would consider it.

Greg
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,116 AG
    I have heard Yuri mention it before.

Capt Yuri does offer a 4th day, based on good weather and most fishing is 200+ feet plus if I recall correctly.

http://www.tortugasfishing.com/home.html
    Greg jumped right in, no hesitation, after all these years fishing, no need to make this leap and take this risk, but that's what it takes,to the bone fisherman, and customer loyalty. That's what separates the non-risk takers from the men who leave a mark.
    Guys lets jump right in, all the dots lined up, the MAN in the wheel house said "let's do it" , we got the right crew a new and very eager captain Derrick.
    This is for the men and women that want to fish hard and break the barrier, Extreme Fishing on the Yankee Capts pioneering a new frontier. Lets take it to the next level.

Bobby, Bricks, Nick Perrone & clan, Jake, Littigator and the Quarashi tribe, Dudley,
    old man Glenn !!! Capt. Bill, Globaltracker, Cameron, and of course hard core Thelma and Louise !

If interested, no flakes and no weak hearted, please email [email protected]
  • dt-fishingdt-fishing Posts: 157 Officer
    I did a trip to pulley's ridge with Yuri a few years back, in fact David was on that trip.

We fished out there for a couple of days, the fishing was very good however, we mostly caught smaller muttons and I got a few decent red groupers. The deep dropping was great and we got snowies up to about 50lbs and and a few nice goldens, just not record breaking like the snowies.

I think the area has potential, however, the problem lies with what greg mentioned and it is getting familiar with the area. As Yuri put it one day for me was like him relearning the dry tortugas area as this area is roughly just as big.

With a good sense of exploration and without a mental need to fill every box on the boat a trip like this can be very rewarding when you know you are fishing water that barely anyone has ever fished before. And if you do great, great - if you don't enjoy the trip for what it was.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Hoogan wrote: »
    Greg jumped right in, no hesitation, after all these years fishing, no need to make this leap and take this risk, but that's what it takes,to the bone fisherman, and customer loyalty. That's what separates the non-risk takers from the men who leave a mark.
    Guys lets jump right in, all the dots lined up, the MAN in the wheel house said "let's do it" , we got the right crew a new and very eager captain Derrick.
    This is for the men and women that want to fish hard and break the barrier, Extreme Fishing on the Yankee Capts pioneering a new frontier. Lets take it to the next level.

Bobby, Bricks, Nick Perrone & clan, Jake, Littigator and the Quarashi tribe, Dudley,
    old man Glenn !!! Capt. Bill, Globaltracker, Cameron, and of course hard core Thelma and Louise !

I'm in!
    I might be interested, just need someone to take the reins and get all the details, days out, how deep, on or off a moon or new moon etc.

Also what gear might be needed, might have to start hunting for something for this type trip.

Question...on these deep drops would live bait help?
    Capt Bill
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 467 Deckhand
    I would be interested in a multi-day trip to target wahoo, tuna and dolphin/dorado. Would that be in the cards for the trip you are talking about? BTW I grew up in SD fishing and working on the Point Loma based sport fishers.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    This was taken on Pully ridge. Huge sinkhole that I'm still trying to get the numbers for. The laptop that had the number got stolen.

Scan10001.jpg

Caught these there

photo003.jpg

photo002.jpg

photo017.jpg

That was 460' I believe.
    "You'll get your weather"

You could count me in as a sure thing IF....Greg could some how make 2 of the 3-5 days fall on the weekend. I can always stack a couple days on either side of a weekend but it's tough for me to commit to mid week charters because I can rarely take a Monday thru Friday off.
    You could count me in as a sure thing IF....Greg could some how make 2 of the 3-5 days fall on the weekend. I can always stack a couple days on either side of a weekend but it's tough for me to commit to mid week charters because I can rarely take a Monday thru Friday off.

This whole thing is very appealing and exciting to me, going to where no man has gone before in the pursuit of monster fish and on the Yankee Capts mind you.
    Looks like it will be mostly deep dropping so perfect reason to start looking for yet another tackle set up.:grin
    A smaller group of anglers,a private charter, willing to be part of the adventure and explore this new track on the Yankee Capts, not for the weak at heart but it will be your closest shot at hauling a monster, like a big Misty, golden tile fish and many other sea monsters.
    I'm starting to spread the word around to all the bottom junkies I've met on the Y.C. throughout the years and I already have a handful of committed people so please post HERE if seriously interested and let's make this happen.
  • rngrileyrngriley Posts: 339 Deckhand
    There's a boat out of tarpon springs (gulfstarfishing.com) that runs these types of trips. They fish in depths over 500'. Looks like some people use electric reels on car batteries while others use manual gear. I wouldn't want to reel up a 100 plus lb warsaw up from that depth manually. Definitely not for the faint of heart. Sounds like an exiting trip with endless possibilities. If it happens, can't wait to see the reports.

Good luck and catch 'em up.
    This whole thing is very appealing and exciting to me, going to where no man has gone before in the pursuit of monster fish and on the Yankee Capts mind you.
    Looks like it will be mostly deep dropping so perfect reason to start looking for yet another tackle set up.:grin
    A smaller group of anglers,a private charter, willing to be part of the adventure and explore this new track on the Yankee Capts, not for the weak at heart but it will be your closest shot at hauling a monster, like a big Misty, golden tile fish and many other sea monsters.
    I'm starting to spread the word around to all the bottom junkies I've met on the Y.C. throughout the years and I already have a handful of committed people so please post HERE if seriously interested and let's make this happen.

Art, does Greg have electrical power at the rails? How would that work if we were to use electric reels.

Juan
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,219 Moderator
    Get a Daiwa with a battery pac
    Get a Daiwa with a battery pac

Jack, that is what I was thinking. Just ' know how much power they have. Tanacom Bull?

Juan
    capt louie wrote: »

This was taken on Pully ridge. Huge sinkhole that I'm still trying to get the numbers for. The laptop that had the number got stolen.
    That was 460' I believe.

Pulley Ridge is located in the southern Gulf of Mexico, 100 miles west of Key West and is the deepest light-dependant coral reef in the United States. Pulley Ridge was not discovered until 1999 due to it's depth of 180 to 275 feet and it's remoteness in the center of the southern part of the Gulf of Mexico. The ridge is believed to be a submerged island from millions of years ago.

Coral grows through the process of photosynthesis and that is the reason most coral reefs are shallow. Pulley Ridge is unusual because the sun barely reaches it's great depths; it is like dusk during the sunniest part of any day. And what is most significant is that the corals are healthier than any shallow coral reef with no evidence of bleaching or ill health.

Fishing Pulley Ridge
    This area is protected by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council which prohibits anchoring in this large area. 60 species of fishes have been identified that inhabit Pulley Ridge. You are allowed to fish by drifting or hook and line fishing. Here is the exact text from the Gulf Council:

• Pulley Ridge HAPC - Fishing with a bottom longline, bottom trawl, buoy gear, pot, or trap and bottom anchoring by fishing vessels are prohibited year-round.

You can catch Snowy Grouper, Speckle Hind Grouper (picture to the right), huge Red Grouper, Scamp, Golden Tile, AJ's, Hog Snappers to say a few of the healthy fish that inhabit this deep ridge. Just to the west of Pully Ridge is a sink hole with large rock walls and undercuts that holds large schools of Greater Amberjack, Red Porgy, Blueline Tilefish, Snowy Grouper, Speckled Hind, Warsaw and Yellowedge Snapper. If you venture even further to the west of the ridge near the shelf edge in waters over 500 feet you can fish for Queen Snappers which are not caught very often in the Gulf of Mexico. View the Fishes of Pulley Ridge on GMFMC's website and see some exotics that inhabit this remote site.
    Spent my day off thinking, asking and learning.

The sinkhole you speak of is no secret to the commercial sector. I did however get enough info to take out the charts and do some prep.

Tackle questions were answered and a assortment of gear is coming.

I have 10 days off from May 21 till 31. Going to assemble a crew and take a ride. The basic plan is too drive around and learn. Make some drops to see what lives where. If we do run into something viable then I will leave it be.

After this trip, if I think this is something that could work I will set up a trip.

With the way my schedule is it will have to be after July 1.

Greg
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    so how long would a trip like this last and lets talk price 1000 a person?
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
    so how long would a trip like this last and lets talk price 1000 a person?

72-96 hours. My guess is around $600, and it is just a guess.

Until I can do some research anything I type would just be conjecture.

If your talking about the research trip I will be doing I WILL NOT BE TAKING CUSTOMERS. I am going to look and learn. I can see myself making a quick drop or two catching a few fish and getting a feel for the conditions, nothing more. I know the techniques, I need to learn the area. This is a hard thing to do, I don't need the pressure of having customers on board. I can see myself being out for 5 days on this trip. It is big ocean out there.

Greg
    Man this is sounding good.
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Hey Art,great thread u have started here!!!it has always been on my bucket list to do a 10 sd trip but there are a few factors that would make it impossible,one being the wife,just like u she would have a fit if I go on a 10 day trip and no vacation for her and another of many factors is that it's a plane ride plus fare for the trip so u are looking at a lot of $$$$.You can count me in if its under $800 a person and with atleast a month notice before hand.Capt Gregg said maybe something after June,I can't go in June cuz of work and I would probably still have to purchase an electric reel.great thread though I'm sure if he puts this trip on the schedule for next year it would be booked very fast starting with me ,lol