A Good Day for Fishing

Launched out of Domino on the LMR today around 11:15am. Headed to the flat off LCRB. Still nothing happening there so I went back into LCRB. Fished back in there for the next 5+ hours. Worked mangrove islands, potholes and oyster bars. I did pretty well. All fish were caught on the 3" mullet in shadflash or the spook jr. in bone. Here is a quick list of the fish I caught back there:

12:19pm - 22 3/4" trout on the 3" shadflash

12:26pm - 16 1/4" redfish (same lure)
12:38pm - 14 1/2" trout (same lure)
12:55pm - 23" trout (same lure) [poor pic]

1:10pm - 14" trout (same lure)
1:17pm - 16" red (same lure)
2:28pm - 16 1/2" red (same lure)

Lost two good snook over the next hour or so. One just came unbuttoned and the other jumped a few times and the last jumping head shake sliced my leader. Went out to the flat but too windy so back into LCRB.

4:27pm - 12" trout (same lure)
4:56pm - 20 1/2" red (same lure)
5:04pm - 18" red (same lure)
5:07pm - 17 1/2" red (same lure)

Water had gotten low. Wind had died a bit. Circled around and worked that same area I just worked but this time with the spook jr. Lots of nice potholes. Bigger reds on the spook jr.

5:45pm - 26 1/2" red on the spook. Saw fish come up to it. Stopped the lure and the fish destroyed it. After a few drag-screaming runs, finally got her in the boat. Very nice fight!

6:02pm - 24" red on the spook. Struck and missed. Couple of twitches and a vicious strike.
6:10pm - 14" trout on the spook

Finally got out of LCRB and went to the "guide" bank for some snook. Too windy and water was low. Went around the corner towards the back entrance to LCRB. Paralleling the mangroves with the spook in maybe 2-3' of water. Getting near the entrance and my spook got crushed. The fish took off towards the mangroves and then came right back out. This fish had some power and was really putting me to the test. It was a good snook. She went under the boat and back out deep. After a great fight, I finally slipped her in the net at 6:50pm. She measured 30 1/4" and was extremely fat and healthy.

Getting late so I headed back up river to the Commongood Cut. Water was ripping out of there. Caught a small snooklet on the spook. On the next cast in the same spot, the water erupted and my spook disappeared. The fish was running to me and went under the boat. Turned out to be a pretty good red that had completely choked it. Got her in at 7:47pm. She measured 24 1/2".

Worked it a bit longer but no more strikes. The Tides4Fishing said it would be an excellent day for fishing. It sure was.
Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

Replies

• CheechCheech Posts: 478 Officer
    Great Job I always like reading your reports
  • Icatcher22Icatcher22 Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Cant beat the follow from a big red on topwater...great sight to see
  • Gotcha_SlingerGotcha_Slinger Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Nice Slam!
  • JonDubsJonDubs Posts: 184 Officer
    Looks like an exciting day! Got to love topwater action.
    KeyWest 1520 Flats Boat
    Indian River Canoe 12' Flatback
    Heritage RedFish Kayak 12'
  • LilcthefishslayerLilcthefishslayer Posts: 611 Officer
    Sounds like you had plenty of action! Nice report!
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,248 Officer
    Thanks guys. A big red following my spook is fun to watch.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Outstanding report, sweeeet.
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    Bro that's like three trips in a row with a legit slam. You are a REAL river monster.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
    Thanks AS and SM! Just call me Jeremy Wade. He is the man. Great tarpon show last week. Monsters on a fly.
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    Awesome day! What are those spots? - I'm not familiar with the acronyms you used...
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135
  • troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    Awesome work. Can't beat a day like that.
    Thanks Navy and troutman! The LMR is the Little Manatee River near Ruskin, FL and LCRB is Little Cockroach Bay near the mouth of the LMR. It was a very good day.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,011 Moderator
    Again...great report BA.
    Thanks RL!
  • brettfox27brettfox27 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    You really do have some of the best posts on here. I am finally back down here for a few days and can't wait to get out there this weekend. Got plans to be around CRB and the south shore Saturday and Monday. Probably headed over Saturday real early, and then looking more like Monday afternoon. Looking for reds, snook, and trout. Any tips for where to start?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Brett Fox
    20' SeaChaser Flats by Carolina Skiff
    Durham, NC (grew up in Lakeland, FL) and spend my days fishing all over Tampa Bay
    Fisherman & Photographer
    brettfoxphotography.com