Home Ask the Law!

Agent Cocker or other LEO's...Circle hooks for reef fish.

pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,057 Captain
I know that you have to use circle hooks in the GOM when using natural baits when reef fishing except when using lures. But what about when using a lure, such as a jig, and tipping it with natural bait? Legal or not? Legal if trolling, but not just dropping and working the lure up? I would really like answers from the LEO's that enforce these rules, rather than folks who think they know the answer. Not being a jerk, but I want the correct answer for this.

Replies

• NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sf/pdfs/Discard%20Mortality%20FAQ.pdf

If you are using natural bait, you must use circle hooks. See if this link above helps.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,057 Captain
    Thanks for the info. I know a few Marine leo's that need to read up on the regs.
  • EyesonuEyesonu Posts: 55 Deckhand
    When harvesting reef fish you need to use circle hooks. If you use natural bait on a jig what type of fish are you trying to target? If you're trolling with a jhook then I would not advise targeting reef fish...if you catch my drift.