Home General Fishing

What is your favorite lure for redfish and trout?

Replies

• dwyermwdwyermw Posts: 340 Deckhand
    I
    I have fished the Mosquito Lagoon and tne North Indain River for 6 years now
    and I swear by gulp jerk baits and live mullet fished ridicuously shallow.
    2009 Skeeter ZX2250 current
    2007 Sea Hunt 220 Triton (sold)
    Skeeter ZX24V, 300 HP Yamaha (sold)
    1890 SE Action Craft, 175 HP Evinrude Ficht (sold)
    Hewes Tailfisher (sold)
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    I'll confirm, the mirrolure Lil John might be the best soft plastic on the market if you're working it right.

Gulp for Reds. Cajun Thunder Bobber with DOA/Gulp shrimp for trout.
  • jakejake Posts: 326 Deckhand
    I'll confirm, the mirrolure Lil John might be the best soft plastic on the market if you're working it right.

Do you agree on the way to work it? I fish it just like he says to, and have only caught a sheepshead with them
    jake wrote: »
    Do you agree on the way to work it? I fish it just like he says to, and have only caught a sheepshead with them

No, that's not how I work it. I like to use a series of light twitches, pause, followed by a jerk, then pause. So figure light twitch twitch twitch PAUSE - TWITCH - shorter pause, twitch twitch. Mix it up and you'll have more success, with those smaller pauses you're really just walking the dog under water. I suggest watching it in a pool if you have the ability. You don't need to follow my cadence but what I'm trying to achieve is to make it look organic, small twitches are similar to what a bait would actually be doing while the pause/jerk would be the "flee" where I get a lot of strikes.

As for rigging it I'm very picky about jigheads. The banana jigheads give the best action, while Mission Fishin jigheads are a staple on my boat. Color isn't as important, but I like chartruese because it provides contrast to the golden bream color (best) in darker water, while providing supplement to the Glow (2nd best) in clear sunny water.

Works great with a weedless-screw lock hook as well. I like Slayer's.
  • TeamAmericaTeamAmerica Posts: 37 Deckhand
    DOA glow shrimp
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    does anyone use the exude darts? they look just like that lil john but they... exude.. a good stink :grin
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    jake wrote: »

Sorry to hear that Jake!!! Keep at it... There are few folks on this forum (Jon, Matt, Jeff? lol) that can testify to the Snap of Hell! Plus...............

These fish agreed!

Matts fish agreed too

And all these species as well
    ahhh... what the hey.... This guy said not to use the lil johns no more... It hurt his mouth too much

Hey, what's that in the top of his mouth? For real though.... Ive caught 90% of my fish in the last+ on this bait/retrieve.
  • jakejake Posts: 326 Deckhand
    Alright guy, you sold me! Haha. I'm going to try it out Wednesday morning on a yak trip :fishing

I know we have talked about fishing before, but between work and school I don't get to go with any regularity. You still in sarasota?
    I am Jake!!!! Love weekdays... tues and wed are my good days!
  • TSJTSJ Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    What color? You like those mirrorlure softsbaits more that the slayer ones?
    Me... I like the Golden Bream.... I have really not used Slayers soft plastics... Ive used and use their jigheads....
    TSJ wrote: »
    What color? You like those mirrorlure softsbaits more that the slayer ones?

Golden bream and glow.

Slayer make the best paddle tails out there
  • Shark bittenShark bitten Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Walmart on Kings highway has those Bodonka donks in the clearance box for $2.50 as of last week.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
  • greenhornet2greenhornet2 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Mirrolure really hit a homerun with their soft plastics, I also like the golden bream color for clear water here in Texas but the 5" provoker is my preferred size. As far as the retrieve goes guys you really need to find your own groove every trip out, as the fish can want something different every day. I tend to vary my retrieve almost every cast until I find a pattern. Typically you want to go to a slower retrieve with more vertical action when casting with the wind (looks more natural than a bait swimming directly into the current and that's not how predators generally align themselves) and you can work a bait faster and more horizontally when casting against or perpendicular to the wind. If your area is more tide driven current than wind-driven current you need to replace above with tide direction instead of wind direction. The scent is subtle on these baits but seems to help, in addition some of the most durable soft baits around as I regularly catcth 20-30 trout before having to replace.

The lil john is also great under a popping cork for windy days or murkier water.
  • mitch2106mitch2106 Posts: 105 Officer
    I've recently bought some mirrolure plastics paddle tails and caugth a couple trout on them but thats about it, I'll have to give these golden bream lil john's a try!
    :fishing
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    doa shrimp and gulp nothing else needed..
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    Simple Johnson Sprite 1/4 Oz. Cover a lot of water too.
    If sight fishing reds in grass, jerk bait, usually white ice.
  • coach76coach76 Posts: 204 Officer
    Nothing else is needed... Snook, reds, trout, flounder

Resulted in this:

I have caught more fish on this bait in the past year than any bait in my box..... I've gone thru 3 packs in 2 weeks!

I dont know what that is, color, size and if you use just with hook or jig and the size. Appreciate your help on this.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    coach76 wrote: »
    I dont know what that is, color, size and if you use just with hook or jig and the size. Appreciate your help on this.

that is a mirrolure lil john in golden bream on a 1/8 oz cotee jig head.
    thanks for the reply, not sure best price for these, checked out Bass Pro online has the 3 3/4 at $4.29 and free shipping at this time, as of today which is 12-12-13
    coach76 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, not sure best price for these, checked out Bass Pro online has the 3 3/4 at $4.29 and free shipping at this time, as of today which is 12-12-13

local tackle shop.
  • jimbobwillyjimbobwilly Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Hi all! First post, this thread grabbed my attention! I just moved from TN to FL (Tampa Bay Area) and have started seeking Redfish and Spotted Trout and/or anything else you may suggest in the area! I have had some luck on live shrimp with a popping cork, silver and brass spoons, and some of the DOA paddle tails (rootbeer, greenback, etc.) but just do not feel like I have found my "go to" lure/bait yet... Also, I have not had a single bite on the DOA shrimp but just cut the tails off four different colors tonight and turned the hooks around so they would swim backwards, more natural?!? wish me luck on that. I primarily fish from my kayak and have about 6 different spots I am learning right now. Fishing the incoming high tides primarily. Spooked the hell out of a school of reds last weekend and going back to the same area tomorrow to try my luck again with cut finger mullet instead of spoons! If you guys have any bait/lure suggestions for a saltwater noob please send them on! Loving FL winters by the way :-)
    Hi all! First post, this thread grabbed my attention! I just moved from TN to FL (Tampa Bay Area) and have started seeking Redfish and Spotted Trout and/or anything else you may suggest in the area! I have had some luck on live shrimp with a popping cork, silver and brass spoons, and some of the DOA paddle tails (rootbeer, greenback, etc.) but just do not feel like I have found my "go to" lure/bait yet... Also, I have not had a single bite on the DOA shrimp but just cut the tails off four different colors tonight and turned the hooks around so they would swim backwards, more natural?!? wish me luck on that. I primarily fish from my kayak and have about 6 different spots I am learning right now. Fishing the incoming high tides primarily. Spooked the hell out of a school of reds last weekend and going back to the same area tomorrow to try my luck again with cut finger mullet instead of spoons! If you guys have any bait/lure suggestions for a saltwater noob please send them on! Loving FL winters by the way :-)

Try your luck with zman paddlerz and gulp 5" jerk shad this winter. The water gets real clear , you might have to drop down to 15 lb or 10 lb fluorocarbon leader. Tie your baits with a canoeman loop knot.
  • jimbobwillyjimbobwilly Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    johnD wrote: »
    Try your luck with zman paddlerz and gulp 5" jerk shad this winter. The water gets real clear , you might have to drop down to 15 lb or 10 lb fluorocarbon leader. Tie your baits with a canoeman loop knot.

Was using 15 last week and caught a small snook. As I landing it he managed to cut the line... I still got him in the boat, barley, but went and got a spool of 20lb floro the next day....

I will check out the canoeman loop and the zman and gulp! I have been using snap swivels and snaps without the swivels just because I have been trying out sooooo mannyyyyy baits and wanted to save myself some knot tying!
    Was using 15 last week and caught a small snook. As I landing it he managed to cut the line... I still got him in the boat, barley, but went and got a spool of 20lb floro the next day....

I will check out the canoeman loop and the zman and gulp! I have been using snap swivels and snaps without the swivels just because I have been trying out sooooo mannyyyyy baits and wanted to save myself some knot tying!

I don't use clips , but I know some people do.
    These are pretty popular among people who use clips.
    http://store.saltyshores.com/product/tactical-angler-fishing-clips-bulk-package-30-clips
    Sam also keeps blog.
    http://saltyshores.com/wordpress/
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 503 Officer
    I'm no expert...just started flats fishing recently in Ft. Peirce but Mirrodines and Gulp shrimp on 1/4 jigheads seem to be getting the job done when nothing else has for trout. I really like the chartreuse mirrodine.