Home General Fishing

Symetre VS Battle

If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
So after losing all my gear i decided to purchase some new inshore reels and the battle is supposed to be the best 100 dollar reel ever made but i had a symetre and i loved it. I am just using it for inshore for reds trout etc.

Replies

• sbp0317sbp0317 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I love the Battles. I use them 150 times a year running inshore charters and I've hardly ever had to send one back
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    i like the symetre over the battle just because im a big shimano fan. i also have a battle though, its a great reel. I just prefer the shimano.

only down side to the shimano, is the peg handle. those handles suck, but it works.
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    Yes i have since then purchased a symetre and my next reel will be a battle
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    i cant believe no one here uses abu garcias (that i know of)... i do my flats thing strictly with abu garcia cardinals.. under 40 bucks.. i prefer them over my penns.. one cardinal ive had for 5 years now, smoother than it was out of the box
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    I have a cardianl but i use it mainly for snapper fishingaround docks great reel for the money just nothing that amazing with it
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    I say the symetre is a better reel but the new ones are made from graphite and that's a deal breaker for me.
  • Josh85Josh85 Posts: 377 Officer
    Dude the Battle is a much better reel....shimano is overrated...Penn makes a solid reel...
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Jetex2801 wrote: »
    I say the symetre is a better reel but the new ones are made from graphite and that's a deal breaker for me.

Yep, they ruined a great product. Older models are smooth and rugged. Luck for me I picked up 3 "last years models" for $55 about 2 years ago. Still have 2 in the box. I'm set for a while.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 430 Deckhand
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    i cant believe no one here uses abu garcias (that i know of)... i do my flats thing strictly with abu garcia cardinals.. under 40 bucks.. i prefer them over my penns.. one cardinal ive had for 5 years now, smoother than it was out of the box

Agreed. Most people think that paying more will increase their chance at catching more fish. Save your money and use it on something else
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Agreed. Most people think that paying more will increase their chance at catching more fish. Save your money and use it on something else

Disagree to an extent. My experience has been around a 150 dollars a reel will withstand saltwater fishing over time. Anything less typically breaks on me in salt. I have some stradics around 15 years old, which the symmetre just doesn't last in salt. I agree with you about the extreme which is the van staal reels. However if you can afford a van staal, why not its your hard earned money!
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    hell yeah, i make it and i spend it.
    i bought a symetre used on ebay because it was a good deal. 50 bucks. looks like it did some work, freshwater. ive actually been using it a lot more than my FJ and Ci4. just because i like the rod i have it matched up with. so ill find out how it holds up.

but i agree, you gotta spend a little more money, and get quality stuff, it holds up.
    was talking to my buddies father in law yesterday, whos a pro bass angler, and he mentioned he uses whatever reel it was, like a 500 dollar reel, and we were like daaaamn. granted he gets them at great prices anyway, but he said the same, more expensive stuff lasts longer, mostly. you have a bad one here and there, just hope you dont get that one, or can replace it.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    I am actually thinking about trying Daiwa now....I might get a Lexa spinning or a Procyon in the near future
    Let's go fishing!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I just gave a good friend of mine a TDA 2500A with a 7'6" TDA Coastal Tournament and Stren braid.

Nothing casts farther than this combo, and the older TDA's have had "X-ship" before it was cool.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    sbp0317 wrote: »
    I love the Battles. I use them 150 times a year running inshore charters and I've hardly ever had to send one back
    Agreed...I fish them hard and they have served well.