SCHOOL OF COBIA

Went out to Gasparilla yesterday and on the way back to Laishleys the water turned dead calm ( very unusual for the harbor). We were skirting the west wall in about six foot of water about half way up I turned east got in eight foot ( crystal clear ) and shut the motor down and starting throwing a lil jon just to see if I could get a bite. A school of cobia followed it back to the boat. They were all about 30" the one that was in the lead swam above the others and looked right at us. It probably didn't help that I was screaming at my wife to grab a pole and throw something anything just throw it! We had just dumped the last of our shrimp and had no bait left on the boat. I even had some fiddlers earlier in the day but the sheepies ate them all.I always have as a big hogy rigged and ready to throw to the cobia but not yesterday. I have never seen a school of cobia usually two or three not ten or more. Is this common?This time of year? What would you have done?

Replies

• capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    Went out to Gasparilla yesterday and on the way back to Laishleys the water turned dead calm ( very unusual for the harbor). We were skirting the west wall in about six foot of water about half way up I turned east got in eight foot ( crystal clear ) and shut the motor down and starting throwing a lil jon just to see if I could get a bite. A school of cobia followed it back to the boat. They were all about 30" the one that was in the lead swam above the others and looked right at us. It probably didn't help that I was screaming at my wife to grab a pole and throw something anything just throw it! We had just dumped the last of our shrimp and had no bait left on the boat. I even had some fiddlers earlier in the day but the sheepies ate them all.I always have as a big hogy rigged and ready to throw to the cobia but not yesterday. I have never seen a school of cobia usually two or three not ten or more. Is this common?This time of year? What would you have done?

#1 Had white bait.
    #2 Not dumped my bait until I got back to the ramp.
    #3 Threw a large mirrodine or jig/shad Tail at it
    #4 and if #3 failed, I'd go back to #1 and #2

All kidding aside, yes I've seen schools of 10-20 Cobes in the Harbor, along both walls; spring & fall
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    You must be the guy from THT :).
  • guitar pickerguitar picker Posts: 110 Officer
    Finsfan wrote: »
    You must be the guy from THT :).

Must be
    I don't post often but that was very different