Where can I park to fish the Sanibel Rocks from shore?

I fish Sanibel and bonita beach/lovers key area a lot each summer for the snook run, but this year I would really like to hit the Sanibel rocks from the shoreline. I have my girlfriends family coming down from Atlanta in the middle of May and I would really like to put them on some big snook off the beaches.

I know generally where the rocks are off of West Gulf Drive since I have only fished them from a boat before, but since I am not a Sanibel resident I cant obtain a Parking "A" permit to park right off of West Gulf Drive. The nearest public access is Tarpon Bay Road access which is about a 3 to 3.5 mile walk to the rocks. My legs work perfectly fine, and I'll walk if I have to, but It would be a whole lot nicer to be able to park a lot closer.

Anyone know any way I can park closer or obtain a Parking "A" permit even though I don't live on Sanibel? Heck, I'll pay a lot more for the permit if that's what it takes. Are there any hotels nearby there, like Mitchells Sandcastles or the Blue Dolphin, that are pretty lax on parking for beach fishermen in the mornings?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
Glorious in all of Your ways
The majesty the wonder and grace
In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
In Your holy light
That every eye will see Jesus our God
Great and mighty to be praised

Replies

• ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,833 Captain
    First of all, the last time I was there, the rocks where covered up, been covered up for the last three years since they dredged blind pass. You cannot park at the blue dolphin, they will call the cops to get you a ticket. Closest public parking is Bowmens, the fishing there is usually pretty good, the point is 3 miles to the east and it's usually fishy most of the way there as well. So I would park and walk it. Or take you chances? Sorry cant help any further.
    Other thought is stop in and talk to Norm, maybe you can arrange someone to drop you off and pick you up?
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Thanks for the help. I won't park at any hotels then. Even if the rocks are covered up though I figured a lot of snook would still congregate there because the water is deeper there than a lot of other spots right along the beach on sanibel (that I know of anyways). I fly fish a lot for them but the guys I'm taking don't so ill bring my net and try to get some decent whitebait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • rugbyryrugbyry Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Park 3 miles away and bring a couple of bikes.
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,833 Captain
    I missed the part you bringing some guys. I thought it was your girl friend. Just ask each of the to give you 25$ and park at the #6 and pay the fine (you might not get the fine if only for a few hours).
    That sounds like a plan! Haha I like that idea
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light
  • fishonfishon Posts: 961 Officer
    To cool, I fished the rocks 40 years ago. Talk of some big boy snook and the limit was 4 per person.
    Some great memories from the 70's! Condos at the light house were $15,000 Great time!
    Triton 1870 Bay Sport, 115 merc. 4/stroke,
    Fish Shallow saltwater, lakes central Fl. And Lake Oconee Ga.
    Live in Lakeland
  • dcrdcr Posts: 352 Deckhand
    The Beach Access next to the Blue Dolphin is #7 I believe. And if I'm not mistaken, the fine is $50, but I remember somewhere seeing that it is reduced to $35 if paid within 15 days.
    There seems to be a discrepancy on some maps that show the rocks farther northwest, even past the end of W. Gulf Dr. My local info is that they are across from the big house with the thatched roof, about 7 houses NW of Blue Dolphin.
    You've fished them before, from the water side, is my info accurate?
    Ya I remember reading online that its only 35 bucks as well if you pay it within the first 15 days. But ya the location you said is about right. If you look on google maps and zoom in real close to where it's an actual photograph of the houses instead of satellite imagery, you can actually see the rocks in the water because the water was clear enough the day those pictures were taken. That helps you locate their exact location.

In any case, it seems the general consensus is to either walk or pay the $35 fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days

In Your holy light