Guide help on 7'

I just ordered a 7' mhx one piece from mud hole... I wanted to make a spinning rod and went with the recoil eyes.... The very nice expert at mud hole suggested these eyes... #25, #16, #10, and 6 #8L and a tip top... I want to put on a 4000 series reel.... I will be using this mainly for live bait.... Minnow and shrimp fishing.... Looking to see what everyone suggest about eye spacing and if its too many for a spinning rod setup?? Thanks for all the expert input

Replies

• irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    normally the recommended guide spacing is pretty good I usually start with that and then attach the reel and run some line through looking for bends or anything that doesn't look good
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    I'd fall over laughing if any guy in a rod component store recommended that particular guide schedule.... For a better view go to any tackle store that carries GLoomis rods and get a close look at how they do it... you'd be hard pressed to beat their setup. For me that blank would have seven guides (one per foot of rod is a good starting point - for many years we built them with one less than the rod length in feet....). I'd start with a #30, then follow with 25, 20, 16,12,10, and lastly a #8... I'd want the tiptop to have 8.0mm ring as well. If you wonder about the larger sizes I'm recommending then look at this thread to find out why I recommend what I do....

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?104312-smaller-diameter-guides-vs-standard-sized-guides
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
    I believe he was asking for a starting point and that is the way I learned. Used them as a basic guide line and played with it to get it just right.
    time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time
  • ANKLE DEEPANKLE DEEP Posts: 50 Deckhand
    I was wanting to build the Fuji guide concept... Google helped me enough to get the idea why to use this type of system.
  • StevemcnerneyStevemcnerney Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Mud hole has a lot of information on their site and on you tube. I was lucky enough to take a class from an old school rod builder. I was taught that each rod and reel combo are different. If you use the standard guide placement, do a quick wrap to hold the guides in place. Don't wrap the guide closest to the reel. Start casting be consistent don't over cast just cast normally. Move the lowest guide up and down until you get the best distance. Next load the rod and make sure that the guides look good. This is a lot of work but I think it is worth the trouble. If you are going to build several rods the same save the layout. Hope this helps.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    I'd fall over laughing if any guy in a rod component store recommended that particular guide schedule.... For a better view go to any tackle store that carries GLoomis rods and get a close look at how they do it... you'd be hard pressed to beat their setup. For me that blank would have seven guides (one per foot of rod is a good starting point - for many years we built them with one less than the rod length in feet....). I'd start with a #30, then follow with 25, 20, 16,12,10, and lastly a #8... I'd want the tiptop to have 8.0mm ring as well. If you wonder about the larger sizes I'm recommending then look at this thread to find out why I recommend what I do....

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?104312-smaller-diameter-guides-vs-standard-sized-guides

larger guides allow for more line slap against the blank, therefore adding friction and robbing potential casting distance.. micros choke the line down more, keeps it in a tighter spiral coming off the reel.. and using more than 7 guides helps this as well .. i have a 7' with ten guides and i love it... to me its more accurate, just manages the line better all around.. plus, micro guides are lighter and cut down on the overall weight of the rod.. my casting rod is 7'0 with 10 guides and it weighs in at 4oz.. and ive turned some big fish with it so its no buggy whip.. micro guides really are benifical plus the lower profile also helps if you say for instance step on a rod on the deck or whatever .. theres no real exposed guide foot to get rusty, or break off... plus they shed line off instead of tangling it up, especially braid.. lots of benifits in my opinons.. but .. some people just cant roll with the changes.. :grin