Home General Fishing

Shimano Teramar v. St.Croix Tidemaster Inshore

Replies

• fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Of course it's biased, he wants to sell the more expensive line

Mono is more abrasion resistant. This is unbiased. If he was biased the braid would have won, because if you have ever visited a fishing store you would know that braid is WAY more expensive than mono. For the price of 300 yards of braid I can get like 1500+ yards of the same pound mono...
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    fishboy wrote: »
    Mono is more abrasion resistant. This is unbiased. If he was biased the braid would have won, because if you have ever visited a fishing store you would know that braid is WAY more expensive than mono. For the price of 300 yards of braid I can get like 1500+ yards of the same pound mono...

Yes it's more abrasion resistant, but I can still out cast you with braid of the same lb test. I use leaders anyway so it doesn't really matter
    Let's go fishing!
  • Sunny@hi-CHEW[email protected] Posts: 114 Deckhand
    Lets get back to the topic. I want to purchase a rod soon.
  • AquaRoosterAquaRooster Posts: 605 Officer
    I know which is more abrasion resistant, but that's not the whole story. Sometimes you need less visibility, or more stretch. The real question is, what kind of fishing are you doing? Only the can you really decide whether braid or mono is better. We need more information.
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 430 Deckhand
    I think we all know which has better abrasive resistance, but to say its not biased is to say global warming is real.:nono:nono:nono
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    I would recommend the shimano and discontinue reading of this moronic conversation. I am now catching less fish since I started reading this thread.

Tight lines!
    FishInFL wrote: »
    I would recommend the shimano and discontinue reading of this moronic conversation. I am now catching less fish since I started reading this thread.

Tight lines!

Less
    Lets get back to the topic. I want to purchase a rod soon.

lol guys he's right:ontopic
    Let's go fishing!
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    Thread recap - Teramar has better warranty and lower price, mono is more abrasion resistant than braid, and use leader with braid, also don't forget to actually go fishing.
    I use fluoro leader but yeah
    Let's go fishing!
  • Josh85Josh85 Posts: 377 Officer
    I was told St. Croix has a great warranty program. If a fish breaks it they replace it for free. I think if you break it (truck bed, step on it), then its a small fee. I buy most of my rods at Strike-Zone for that very reason. Who needs a warranty? If you snap a rod you bought there, they will replace it free of charge, and do the swapping out with the reps instead of you having to send your rod off...good luck-get what you like best man. Just keep in mind strike zone will replace it hassle free, warranty or not..
    star rods have an even better warranty (i've heard) lifetime warranty and if your rod breaks (does not matter when or how) they replace for free, just pay shipping and handling. I dont know how accurate that is, and im not gonna search it now (its 2am) but ive heard great things from them
    Let's go fishing!
  • Josh85Josh85 Posts: 377 Officer
    My bro is crazy about Star rods. Ive never used one inshore just offshore using his. I hear good things about them though...
    Jetex2801 wrote: »
    Thread recap - Teramar has better warranty and lower price, mono is more abrasion resistant than braid, and use leader with braid, also don't forget to actually go fishing.

You forgot the global warming comparison!
  • RudefishRudefish Posts: 148 Officer
    The Terramar tms x70m pairs well with a 3000 reel. The Terramar has a lifetime over the counter warranty that any decent should honor. I bought mine at Harry Goode's Outdoor Shop in Melbourne and they will replace them if they ever break.

as far as using them for Bonito, I have caught a bunch up to 15lbs and they give the 3000 reels a workout, if I was targeting the bigger fish, I would step up to a 4000 size reel.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I think we all know which has better abrasive resistance...

Yes we do. Mono.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    Yes we do. Mono.

We all have opinions...Anyways. ..backed to the topic.

I think the terra is a good rod dependng on the reel you pair it with. My preference woukd be a 3000, but sure the people here would also add their opinion.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    star rods have an even better warranty (i've heard) lifetime warranty and if your rod breaks (does not matter when or how) they replace for free, just pay shipping and handling. I dont know how accurate that is, and im not gonna search it now (its 2am) but ive heard great things from them

True. If bought at bass pro shops just bring in the reciept and they will hand you a new one. I have 2 and love em
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
    We all have opinions...Anyways. ..backed to the topic.

I think the terra is a good rod dependng on the reel you pair it with. My preference woukd be a 3000, but sure the people here would also add their opinion.

Adding opinion is the point of a forum. You might want to reexamine your thoughts on abrasion resistance, but that's just my opinion.

Almost forgot...I like the Teramar
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    Adding opinion is the point of a forum. You might want to reexamine your thoughts on abrasion resistance, but that's my opinion...

@Anclote key :ontopic
    @Anclote key :ontopic

I already said I prefer the Teramar. I have a couple shimano rods and i'm a fan. Im sure the St. Croix is a good rod too so it really comes down to what the OP prefers. Either choice would be good.

P.S. Quoting me and typing @Anclote Key is redundant. 4 out of your 5 posts on this thread were off topic...and mono is still more abrasion resistant than braid. That's not an opinion. Just admit your wrong and move on. It will feel good and builds character.
    I already said I prefer the Teramar. I have a couple shimano rods and i'm a fan. Im sure the St. Croix is a good rod too so it really comes down to what the OP prefers. Either choice would be good.

P.S. Quoting me and typing @Anclote Key is redundant. 4 out of your 5 posts on this thread were off topic...and mono is still more abrasion resistant than braid. That's not an opinion. Just admit your wrong and move on. It will feel good and builds character.

Wow! No need to make it so personal! Just get back on topic....
    He needs more than character, I still owe him a kick in the balls for being wrong about the mono/braid resistance.
    . That's not an opinion. Just admit your wrong and move on. It will feel good and builds character.

@anclote key :bandwagon

Gloomis had a good rod...werent they purchased by shimano a few years back? I had a crucial that I liked thats why im partial to shimano.
    FishInFL wrote: »
    He needs more than character, I still owe him a kick in the balls for being wrong about the mono/braid resistance.

:rotflmao
    Let's go fishing!
    @anclote key :bandwagon

Gloomis had a good rod...werent they purchased by shimano a few years back? I had a crucial that I liked thats why im partial to shimano.

Nice one. That's you jumping into the Braidwagon.
    there is a reason why people are switching to braid, there is also a reason why its called a *SUPERLINE*....but use what you want i don't care anymore lol
    Let's go fishing!
    I like and use braid. It has many good qualities. Abrasion resistance isn't one of them. That's all i'm saying.

Teramar w/ Stradic 3000 = sweet combo
    I used to have a sustain ...it was awesome! *that's why everyone ties a leader* :)
    Let's go fishing!
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    there is a reason why people are switching to braid, there is also a reason why its called a *SUPERLINE*....but use what you want i don't care anymore lol

People switch to braid due to lack of stretch aka better sensitivity, it's called SUPERLINE due to it having a greater tensile strength ratio to diameter. :rolleyes