Determining action/strength of a rod based on specs

Hey guys, question for the builders here... Is there a reliable way to determine the "backbone" of the rod, or the feel of the tip based on specs alone? For instance, does the butt diameter translate to backbone, and the size of the tip translate to how light it is?

Thanks

Replies

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Bueller? Bueller?

I would say no just based on my limited experience. The baddest rod I have is a 7' Redbone spinner that has power like a pool cue, and the diameter at the grip is not that big.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    I would have to say no, blank builds vary too much, layering, wraps, scrims, reinforcing fibers, wall thickness, taper, layout, resin, etc.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,322 Captain
    Sort of. If you're familiar with a manufacturer than you'll have a good idea of what you're buying based on specs. The problem is that there's no standardized method for rating blanks. St. Croix under rates their blanks, Lami overrates theirs, and the guys at Seeker seem to enjoy throwing random numbers on their blanks. I look at the recommended lure wt. for a given blank more than the line rating. Every now and then I get stuck with a rod that just isn't what I thought it would be, but not often. When that happens I just sell it at cost and pick up a new blank.