Home General Fishing

saltwater gulp shrimp?

just bought 2 different colors of gulp shrimp new penny and white glow. havent had any success using them yet. i've heard they are really good bait. i must not be using them correctly. i just have them rigged up on a jig head. what other techniques should i try, or reel retrieves should i use?

Replies

• Sunny@hi-CHEW[email protected] Posts: 114 Deckhand
    Where and how do you fish? Describe the habitat. make sure you are using thin wire hooks and a LIGHT jig head. If you're in a snag free area work them very slow and carefully. When a fish bounces on the jig set the hook.
  • thevilittletrollthevilittletroll Posts: 34 Deckhand
    i generally am fishing off piers
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    i would go a little heavier on the jighead.. general rule of thumb is use as light as possible to still reach bottom.. those gulps do work dont despair!! ive had great luck with them around bridges and structure as well as grassflats
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Agreed with the heavier weights if fishing piers. Really not a wrong way to fish these guys, bumping along the bottom with a heavy jighead or under a popping cork are my two best methods.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    My girlfriend caught a flounder off the Fort Desoto pier on a Gulp on a jighead a few weeks ago. I like to use them under a cajun thunder popping bobber as well.
  • Josh85Josh85 Posts: 377 Officer
    Ive had ALOT of success on the new penny shrimp. Its the jig head that matters alot too. If you throw a red jig head and arent having any hits then switch to the chartreuse. Its best if you rig yourself with one and a friend with another. Whoever gets the most hits then switch to that color. Gulps work AWESOME but the problem is they are so SOFT. Thats my biggest complaint. I can go through a pack of gulps on a good bite of fish in about oooooh 4 minutes. That starts to add up at $6 a pack. They need to revise the plastic they use to be tougher, they probably want them to be really soft actually. Then they will sell more! Anyways try the different jig head teq. One other thing is if your fishing braid, make sure you run about 15 inches from the braid to the jig head. It helps with hook-sets and makes it invisible to the fish,,,good luck :fishing
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    If your Gulps are too soft, leave them out of the water for a while, they firm up some.
  • NauticalWheelerNauticalWheeler Posts: 445 Deckhand
    To increase the lifespan of Gulp it's important to use a jighead with good bait retainer barbs. This year I've been giving Mission Fishin and Slayer a test, and both are good.

It's important to get it down to the bottom (if you can't feel the bottom, constantly test / look for slack in your line and then remove the slack, give it a little hop, and repeat).

I'd start with 1/2 or 5/8 oz but you may need heavier if current is strong.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Hop hop hop..........let it sit...........hop hop..........let it sit.........hop.........let it sit.

The cool thing with the Gulps is you can fish it as an artificial OR you can do what they call dead stickin.Dead stickin is the "let it sit".There are fellas that prefer to barely even move it relying more on the scent verses what kind of action it has in the water.To me dead stickin isn't any different than using natural bait.

For me Gulp is a s l o w bait.You're paying for the scent......use it wisely.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Hop hop hop..........let it sit...........hop hop..........let it sit.........hop.........let it sit.

The cool thing with the Gulps is you can fish it as an artificial OR you can do what they call dead stickin.Dead stickin is the "let it sit".There are fellas that prefer to barely even move it relying more on the scent verses what kind of action it has in the water.To me dead stickin isn't any different than using natural bait.

yes
    Let's go fishing!
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    I have never fished one of these-are you talking about using a standard jig head that you would use with a doa cal or something similar? Can you post a pic of the rig?
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer

This x2 GREAT advice
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    I used to live bait primarily, unless I was docklight fishing or throwing topwater in the morning.
    I got turned onto the gulps and I absolutely love them. For quick trips all I will bring is a little extra leader, a spare jig head or two and a pack of gulps. Ive caught everything with them.. reds tarpon snook huge trout muttons flounder buefish mackerel literally anything...
    I use a doa cal jighead, red or highlighter green and new penny 3/8cm shrimp.
    I have a lot of confidence in the bait and bounce botom with it and if that doesnt work I can fish it a little faster so it works the middle of the wTer column.
  • Josh85Josh85 Posts: 377 Officer
    Just rig them like this, whatever color you want but same principal. Red or chartreuse works pretty well. I like the redfish magic jig heads they sell at walmart. I like the head on it. Personally, I think the color matters but I wouldnt put too much stock in one jig head catching more fish than the other(as long as they arent the junky ones that have 20 in a pack). Its the bait that counts most, the jig head is just a little teaser.