Home General Fishing

Pier Fishing question

srbird boysrbird boy Posts: 2 Greenhorn
What rig should I look at for some King's off pier's Rod, Reel line size and leader. Most of the guys were useing bait rigs. I have been fishing for spanish on our trips to Fl and watched several Kings caught this trip. I would like to try my hand at fishing for them when we go back. I was told that the guys used wire for leader but I am not sure how to do this. Any help would be great. Have enjoyed my time on the pier again this year.

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    srbird boy wrote: »
    What rig should I look at for some King's off pier's Rod, Reel line size and leader. Most of the guys were useing bait rigs. I have been fishing for spanish on our trips to Fl and watched several Kings caught this trip. I would like to try my hand at fishing for them when we go back. I was told that the guys used wire for leader but I am not sure how to do this. Any help would be great. Have enjoyed my time on the pier again this year.

you can get yourself a pack of coiled wire or they sell it in pre cut lengths.. i dont have much experience with it but i think the haywire twist is probably the best twist to use.. you dont need much either, just enough to avoid biteoffs.. im sure someone more knowledgable with wire will chime in :grin
  • ReelinrudyReelinrudy Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Most tackle shops sell pre-made kingfish rigs. Usually a length of short wire with an octopus hook and a treble stinger. Probably easiest just to buy those.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Go on youtube and type in "Kingfish Rigs"
    Let's go fishing!
  • mwink1988mwink1988 Posts: 39 Deckhand
    2/0 j hook haywire twisted to about 10 inches of leader then do another haywire twist thru the eye of the hook then attach treble stinger with haywire again..haywire a swivel to that and bam. I personally like red stinger trebles and use about 5 ft of 50lb leader. 20lb line will do just make sure you have ALOT of it if you want to catch a big king. Off a pier most folks usually float there bait back with balloons. Use biodegradable if you do use balloons.