62 Pound Blacck Grouper on the Yankee Capts

This was from a private charter on the Yankee Capts from 4/16-18th.

Long story short good if not great trip! Muttons up to 20, Red ( largest was about 15) and Black Grouper, Jolt Head Porgies, Amber Jacks, Mahi etc.

I'll be on it in June:wink
Capt Bill

Replies

• aquasport190aquasport190 Posts: 337 Officer
    That's an awesome fish. But even more confused about grouper regs now. May 1st is only for state waters and they were fishing federal waters?
  • swinsond1971swinsond1971 Posts: 183 Officer
    Gulf is open and the Yankee can keep them there.
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    They Yankee Captains have all permits needed to fish either Gulf Regs or Sourthern Atlantic regs, which is a great thing...:thumbsup
    Capt Bill
    Couple of nice Muttons also.
    Capt Bill
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,404 Officer
    That is a freaking stud
  • cameronsleepcameronsleep Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Nice Job!
  • goliathgoliath Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Helluva black. And those muttons too...
  • kneddorkneddor Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Yankee Capt's trip is definitely on my bucket list! Thanks for the report.
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 527 Officer
    Hawkboat wrote: »
    Couple of nice Muttons also.

OMG that's an easy twenty pound plus Mutton, the Black - I'm jealous.
    Sorry but I didn't get all the nitty gritty details, depth, current, TIME OF DAY, etc., but that Black was taken on 1/2 a goggle eye which shocked the hell out of me..you know old story big bait big fish. I guess the old saying would apply here, SOMETIMES IT'S BETTER TO BE LUCKY THEN SMART!

Either way they did very well and good to see.

Yea Art, I agree! Those fish where on top of 150 quart cooler.
    Capt Bill
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Big bait, big fish but elephants eat peanuts! Some studs for sure.
    jakedge wrote: »
    Big bait, big fish but elephants eat peanuts! Some studs for sure.

Yea.... but by the truckload! Wish you guys could make that trip.
    Capt Bill
  • swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Officer
    That's a solid black for sure. Just curious, what's the biggest black(and mutton while we're at it) caught on the YC? The fishery out there is crazy, I gotta do that one of these days.
    Wish I had the answer for that but I do know that a few years ago one of the men on a trip broke the Fl record for a Margate at 19 and some odd OZ's. Pretty sure they hold a few records, not sure exactly what though.
    Capt Bill
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    Hell of a nice trip this must have been, thanks for keeping us informed.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,404 Officer
    Hopefully someone posts a report from this weekend. They had a sold out boat and beautiful weather.
    Just curious, what's the biggest black(and mutton while we're at it) caught on the YC?

73 lb. Black Grouper by Brian Campbell.
    Greg chime on this one?
    Wish I had the answer for that but I do know that a few years ago one of the men on a trip broke the Fl record for a Margate at 19 and some odd OZ's. Pretty sure they hold a few records, not sure exactly what though.

That's my good friend Hector, not just a Florida record but the the All Tackle World Record Margate, a few details, Capt. Matt Earl saw the fish land on deck and said " that's a world record" also I had to convince Hector to go thru with he whole thing about certifying the fish with IGFA regs, he was too tired and did not want to bother, also the white cooler and the black tote in the background are my fish, it holds a 21.5 lb. mutton and 4 twenty pounders among other muttons, not enough room in white cooler. :)
    I had to convince Hector to go thru with he whole thing about certifying the fish with IGFA regs, he was too tired and did not want to bother

I have never been lucky enough to even come close to that process but have heard it is somewhat of a hassle....give us a clue Art!
    Capt Bill
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    Holy moly.. What tackle did you use on that beast?
    I had to convince Hector to go thru with he whole thing about certifying the fish with IGFA regs, he was too tired and did not want to bother

I have never been lucky enough to even come close to that process but have heard it is somewhat of a hassle....give us a clue Art!

whatta a pain,

Go find a IGFA certified scale and a IGFA weight master on a Sunday afternoon, not an easy task
    make sure you take pictures of the fish on the scale with clearly legible weight of the fish
    another picture of you next to fish hanging from scale
    Get the name, phone number and address of boat's captain, boat's mate, and willing witnesses.
    Fill out your section of the IGFA application form and mail the rest to the boat's captain for him to complete, relate a brief course of events and submit to IGFA head quarters
    Submit to IGFA 50 feet of line (must also include the leader and actual hook)
    Wait upwards of three months for their decision. :rotflmao
    WOW...but on the flip side once it's published you will be swamped with SAMPLES to try...not that they may work for this particular application but everyone wants your endorsement.
    Capt Bill
    I cant wait 'til Greg chimes on this one, I wanna know what's the biggest Mutton on the YC.
  • swinsond1971swinsond1971 Posts: 183 Officer
    About 2 years ago on the Gulf Wrecks trip there a was a mutton that weighed 25lbs. I had never even seen a mutton close to this one. It looked like a dinosaur. That maybe one of the largest ones ever caught on the Yankee.
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 815 Officer
    The two biggest Blacks on my boat are 102 and 88 pounds.

Biggest muttons were a 24.5 and 25.5 pounds.

Just got in today. Had three blacks between 39 and 45 pounds. Plus some 20's.

Greg