Trout, Reds and Tripletail - Crooked Island 4-18

Walking the dog (and I don't mean either of my labs) early in the morning on an active flat has got to be one of my favorite past-times. While it was not blow-ups and monsters on every cast we had enough action to hook not only a few nice trout and a small red, but a co-worker on the joy of topwater fishing. Here's a pic of one of his first ever on topwater, a solid trout.

We put the topwaters away and blacked-out the livewell with perfect sized LY's. Best catch of the day was a triple tail that swam right up to the boat. Certainly not something that happens everyday on the flats for me. He inhaled an LY and was quickly buried in ice. Here's a nice 3lb Trout that couldn't resist

We stuck to the plan and headed out of the Sound to look for Cobia and Pompano. It didn't take long for us to change our minds and aovid the slop. Too rough to see either. Certainly nothing a 30+ ft Tower boat wouldn't fix but too much for the flats boat.

Worked another area and started hammering 12-13" Trout. I'm confident we could have caught a hundred in one area but moved on. Here's was our reward 26" 8.5lbs

Caught a nice 4lb Trout on the last cast of the day and headed in. 30+ Trout, a couple reds and triple tail. Great inshore trip. Clear water, a little breezy. Good bait and Good Grass before it opens up to the sound. My apologies to a red Lake and Bay. Attempted to ease around him in what I thought was a channel on the West side of Wild Goose and it only got shallower. Forced to get closer than I wanted before I turned around. And yes, since my co-worker already shared this with our other colleagues I did fall out of the boat. Fortunately I had just emptied my pockets and the phone was on the console. I chased a slippery LY one step too far and went right in.

Replies

• GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
    Very Nice. I love Crooked Island Sound.

Congrats on the Redfish. I have fished a lot of Redfish tournaments over the years and dream of over 8lb slot fish. I have only caught them in La..... Everything around the panhandle that I have caught between 26 and 27 inches has been right at or just over 7lbs tops.

Cool report, thanks for sharing.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    There ya go! When I heard you were over there I was just praying that you had trailered over there. Definitely too sloppy for anything on the outside.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • tan mantan man Posts: 89 Deckhand
    Great report. Thanks for sharing. CI is one of my most favorite places. As you now know navigation can be tough if you put in at Davis Beach - have to watch the tides and hug the South side
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,187 Officer
    NICE!!

Livin' the Dream !
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Good job bro! Love the TT on the flats, very cool catch
    :fishing:grin
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Those are awesome catches. Was there a few weeks back and it was really slow. Glad to see it is really picking up.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    I'm over due for a visit there.

Looks like you guys had a great day of fishing!
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Well done!