Noisy reel question

I have a saros 3000 that's a few yrs old. It works great and I just had it serviced. The last time I took it out, I found it was super noisy, like a light scraping sound on retrieve. However, this only happens when line is under pressure on the bail roller. S what's making the noise and how can I fix it? Thanks!!

Replies

• FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    Probably salt or grit in the line roller bearings.. take several feet of mono & run thru line roller and hold in each hand allowing reel to hang. see saw ur hands up and down (this will cause the line roller to rotate) if you hear the noise then its definatley the roller bearings. Try rinsing the area really well, allow to dry then apply shimano oil. If this doesnt fix it dissasemble the line roller and cleaan the bearings.. sometimes this works sometimes not.. if not order new bearings.
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    FISHHUNTR wrote: »
    Probably salt or grit in the line roller bearings.. take several feet of mono & run thru line roller and hold in each hand allowing reel to hang. see saw ur hands up and down (this will cause the line roller to rotate) if you hear the noise then its definatley the roller bearings. Try rinsing the area really well, allow to dry then apply shimano oil. If this doesnt fix it dissasemble the line roller and cleaan the bearings.. sometimes this works sometimes not.. if not order new bearings.

Thanks! Will work on it this evening
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    After testing it is definitely the line roller. What is the best way to get rid of the problem? Thanks!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,757 Captain
    Order a new bearing from boca bearings and you should be good to go.

I believe they list shimano bearing sizes on their site.
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    onICE wrote: »
    After testing it is definitely the line roller. What is the best way to get rid of the problem? Thanks!
    As I alluded to in my earlier post sometimes u can somtimes u cant. Take it apart and clean the bearings... put something on the inner race and rotate it to see if it still feels / sounds gritty. If cleaning doesnt work buy some new ones. In the future always rinse this area, let dry and put 1 drop of shimano oil on it after every trip
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T