Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

FWC to ban jig fishing in BGP

1568101169

Replies

  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    Doubled up, are you talking of a livebaiter? I saw that jackwagon with the brochard wrap three times do that tuesday when they moved on the hill u could hear his system from millers dock!!! I wont get into his rediculous boat maneuvering and disregard for everyone else..

    yup, same boat. He thought it would be cool to drive by me within a boat length while I was fighting a fish, maybe he thought I was interested in his music. I've had a handful of issues with him dating back last May.
  • Captain SlayerCaptain Slayer Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    LGI, learned to fish from the PTTS or do fish the PTTS? Sure, tactics rub off but primarily because of the very competitive atmosphere that takes place. I know recreational guys that can decifer the difference between happy fish and not so happy fish and put the knowledge together to figure out whats good and what isnt for them.. " im not talking about ivy league Educated men". These guys know what spooks fish and what works. Its not the rec fisherman, its become the competitive desperate nature of the jig fleet whether their jigging or pitching live bait.. They have no class and display no skill in whatever they do.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    The jiggers need to go.
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    Slayer, I would guess there were some of both in that mix. As I said I did not bother getting that close.
  • Captain SlayerCaptain Slayer Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    From a mile away LGI i could see a solid 10 jig guys including the "authority" according to collechio bombarding that group of fish. I wont name names but all jiggers.. Again all jiggers twenty boats surounding fish early morning on the beach with motors blowing.. Fn crazy to me ... These guys have no clue, no **** only two fish bit to my 6.. Douch bags!!
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    Do you think ending the PTTS or jigging will do anything to stop what we saw on Friday, or just make it worse?
  • whitebaconwhitebacon Posts: 354 Officer
    There is more truth in today's comments than perhaps in a year.

    The earlier comments.....yes the PTTS is on their last desperate leg.

    The latter comments......yes the jiggers are still screwing up the fish from dawn til dusk.

    LGI, ABU, I promise if the the PTTS doesn't hold that 3rd, 4th, and/or 5th tournament this year, I will reveal myself, donate $5,000 to the charity of your choice, and take you dinner at a restaurant of your choosing. If, collectively, we're certain the PTTS won't be back, I will make it $10,000.
  • whitebaconwhitebacon Posts: 354 Officer
    How irresponsible of the PTTS to employ this new measure.......measuring a green tarpon?....my bad the PTTS has never landed a green tarpon. The good part (for the PTTS) is every fish the PTTS lands is DOA, they've been fought for like 3 hours from a bow chair with 30 or 50lb sewing thread, and no drag, (we don't want our competitors to actually fight a fish). Good part meaning they can measure an exhausted fish, but bad part is the pack of bull sharks is lurking.

    New rule: Fat Joe has to personally measure all of them boatside.....think he will agree to that?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 15,952 AG
    LGI wrote: »
    Do you think ending the PTTS or jigging will do anything to stop what we saw on Friday, or just make it worse?

    I think we're in for more problems (as in the beach example) if the jigging fleet is forced to do something else.

    I see things getting worse for everyone else (bay/beach) before it gets better.

    But at least we'll have Saved The Tarpon. lol
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 15,952 AG
    whitebacon wrote: »
    The good part (for the PTTS) is every fish the PTTS lands is DOA, they've been fought for like 3 hours from a bow chair with 30 or 50lb sewing thread, and no drag, (we don't want our competitors to actually fight a fish).

    Now you are just being ridiculous -- to infer every fish landed dies or they are all fought for "like 3 hours" is both untrue and absurd.

    There is no need to make crap up to suit your argument, Whitebacon.
  • Captain SlayerCaptain Slayer Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I agree with tarponator that if they ban the jig certainly the beach and bay fishing will suffer, however, i believe in the long term the environment and experience for everyone will improve.. Most of the new young guides and rec anglers are learning how to fish by watching their obnoxious piers in the pass.. By doing away with the jig and practicing ethics in the pass and on the beach the new guides and rec guys will learn that they can be more successful by using different tactics.. Just my opinion.. I see it everyday while working fish next to other guides that use these methods of fishing.
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I think we're in for more problems (as in the beach example) if the jigging fleet is forced to do something else.

    I see things getting worse for everyone else (bay/beach) before it gets better.

    But at least we'll have Saved The Tarpon. lol


    I think agree with you, that's one reason I have not called for a total ban of the jig.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    What blows is, the fact they have to ban anything. It's amazing what a handful of circus wrapped boats and a fat guy with a camera can do.
  • ScottKScottK Posts: 216 Deckhand
    What blows is, the fact they have to ban anything. It's amazing what a handful of circus wrapped boats and a fat guy with a camera can do.

    Spot on.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 15,952 AG
    IMO, the beach fishing immediately north of BGP along the island has been problematic for a few years now and going downhill for longer than that.

    To my eye, the ones causing the problems were only on rare occasions PTTS participants. I can think of only two incidents among hundreds of bad encounters, but perhaps your experience is different from my own (which tends to be prime jigging time).

    It's gotten so bad I rarely fish along that particular stretch of beach, preferring less spooked tarpon and fewer fishermen in different areas.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 15,952 AG
    I agree with tarponator that if they ban the jig certainly the beach and bay fishing will suffer, however, i believe in the long term the environment and experience for everyone will improve..

    I hope you're right.

    I'm not so sure that you will be, however, as I don't see any fewer fishermen or more fish, and thus the density of fishermen will continue to rise, and even if everyone is using perfect etiquette, the fishing will suffer because of the increased pressure -- more fishermen and the same (or fewer) fish.

    Sure the idiots running on top of fish or keeping their motor on the entire time will learn it doesn't work, but that just means more fishermen not less.

    IMO of course....Mike
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    There needs to be a quantitative measurement matrix established that indicates an accepted level of d-o-u-c-h-ebagness within 1 square mile. This measurement will also help monitor the rise of d-o-u-c-h-ebaggery within a particular area.

    We need to keep this scientific and base all future decisions on controlled studies.

    Right, Collecckkio?
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    I agree with tarponator that if they ban the jig certainly the beach and bay fishing will suffer, however, i believe in the long term the environment and experience for everyone will improve.. Most of the new young guides and rec anglers are learning how to fish by watching their obnoxious piers in the pass.. By doing away with the jig and practicing ethics in the pass and on the beach the new guides and rec guys will learn that they can be more successful by using different tactics.. Just my opinion.. I see it everyday while working fish next to other guides that use these methods of fishing.

    You are right. In time, the Beach and Harbor fishing etiquette will improve. There is no substitute for education, encouragement and enlightenment; either by free will or forced by circumstance. Blackballing the method of “Jigging” was always and is the first source of improvement. We taught, but the money hungry pathetic Jig Boats (Tournament or otherwise) did not subscribe to what was best for the fishery. Acceptance by Guides and Recs, the fact that the technique of Jigging, is harmful to the fishery (And the enjoyment of others), unsportsmanlike and quite frankly, a pathetic method to achieve “Tarpon Guide” or “Tarpon Angler” status is a start. Now, everyone who decides to remain in the business of catching Tarpon, is forced to not only learn the science behind feeding and spawning migrations, so they too can become better Tarpon Anglers & Guides, but now they must need to learn how to properly approach these fish in a manner conducive to feeding Tarpon and in a manner where others too, can achieve the same results; successful fishing.

    You can never change an *******. *******s must change themselves. Perhaps a little motivation is in order. The majority will change…they have too, their wallets depend on it. Many will be forced to fish their home waters. But please don’t be fooled. It’s not just the Guides/Recs from Pasco, Hillsborough and Pinellas. We have our own share of “New” Guides/Recs, who have little respect for the fishery, fellow guides/anglers and even themselves. Just look at 90% of the tower boats that run inside both the west and east walls, and most are “Guides” or “Guide wannabes”. These are the same idiots fishing our beaches and harbor for Tarpon. What’s sad is, now the recs are following in their footsteps!

    We have to take accountability and do things on our own and for ourselves, if we want to improve OUR LOCAL FISHERY!
    The power of the web is amazing. PTTS is folding due to circumstance, driven by the majority. You want to speed up the process? Then black ball the competitors. No competitors = No tournament. Most of them already are too embarrassed to consider themselves PTTS Anglers. Now attack the others, attack the CORE Anglers, the ones that make the PTTS. Attack their sponsors. Affect their wallets, and eventually they too, will unsubscribe to PTTS and Jigging.

    The Jiggers will be a thing of the past. Now what do we do to change the “Jigger” mentality? Apply the same techniques (Education, encouragement and enlightenment; either by free will or forced by circumstance ) that worked on the PTTS. You can *****…………but you only reach a few. Do something about it. Start with posting FACTS. Post boat pictures, names and we address for those who show poor sportsmanship and/or total disregard for others. I can assure you, nobody wants their name or business blackballed on the web. They will be on here immediately defending themselves. They will immediately change their perspective, once it affects their reputation and wallets. Those that won’t change, will be out of the business forced by their own actions or lack of.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Tarponator wrote: »
    It's gotten so bad I rarely fish along that particular stretch of beach, preferring less spooked tarpon and fewer fishermen in different areas.


    Stay N of LGI pass. :wink
  • ScottKScottK Posts: 216 Deckhand
    Via Save The Tarpon.....

    Sunday, May 19th, 6:45 am. This protest will be held on the water. All participating boats will meet up on what is known as the Hill. It is the area just East of the old phosphate dock. Please bring your bullhorns and banners. The PTTS opening event is from 0700 to 10am.

    And now it gets interesting.
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    ScottK wrote: »
    Via Save The Tarpon.....

    Sunday, May 19th, 6:45 am. This protest will be held on the water. All participating boats will meet up on what is known as the Hill. It is the area just East of the old phosphate dock. Please bring your bullhorns and banners. The PTTS opening event is from 0700 to 10am.

    And now it gets interesting.

    Sounds like the perfect day to fish the beach....
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    ScottK wrote: »
    Via Save The Tarpon.....

    Sunday, May 19th, 6:45 am. This protest will be held on the water. All participating boats will meet up on what is known as the Hill. It is the area just East of the old phosphate dock. Please bring your bullhorns and banners. The PTTS opening event is from 0700 to 10am.

    And now it gets interesting.

    You want to protest? Drift your baits right through the jig fleet and redrift over and over and over again. Its your right to fish the pass. Better yet; drift heavy tackle and big baits with 15 - 20 of leader for sharks. Hopefully youll hook a 10 foot bull that decides to stay in the pass. That ought to be exciting. Anyone want to go shark fishing?
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Now that would be worth seeing capeangler. Sit back, crack open a beer, and watch the sparks fly
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    Do you really think guides won't come to BGP if the jig is banned? (your naive or ignorant- flip a coin)

    Do you really think people will change courtesy behaviors if they are not jigging? (What is tied to the end of the line does not make you an a$$*ole, you start out that way then tie something on the line)

    This is the age of youtube, facebook, and forums and if you think the "young anglers" will now learn traditional ways to "respect the fishery" from "Old Salts" any different if jigging is banned - well... go light your candle to read this and tow your boattrailer with a horse. ( whatever the coin landed on earlier, now its the other one)

    I wish we could also return to a tradition that seems to have eroded...the American one that believes in respecting individual freedoms and not try to shove your personal ethics and beliefs down the throats of others as long as no crime or laws are being broken. It is a right to protest and lobby your government to change laws and I support that 100%. Make the case for a benefit to the fishery to FWC- no argument from me.

    It is vigilante-ism and thuggish to confront and persecute private citizens acting within the law and regulations because you disagree.

    Be sure to do it Memorial Day weekend when the Wounded Warriors are honored. Go screw up their fishing day; fishing legally within the regs when they are the ones that paid the price for you to be able to fish at all.
  • ScottKScottK Posts: 216 Deckhand
    capeangler wrote: »
    You want to protest?

    I'm not protesting squat. Going to talk Bly into a day trip, no tackle, a couple pitchers of bloody marys, and kick back for 3 hours of entertainment!
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    I will be there.
  • JoshWJoshW Posts: 523 Officer
    AlwaysAbu wrote: »
    Do you really think guides won't come to BGP if the jig is banned? (your naive or ignorant- flip a coin)

    Do you really think people will change courtesy behaviors if they are not jigging? (What is tied to the end of the line does not make you an a$$*ole, you start out that way then tie something on the line)

    This is the age of youtube, facebook, and forums and if you think the "young anglers" will now learn traditional ways to "respect the fishery" from "Old Salts" any different if jigging is banned - well... go light your candle to read this and tow your boattrailer with a horse. ( whatever the coin landed on earlier, now its the other one)

    I wish we could also return to a tradition that seems to have eroded...the American one that believes in respecting individual freedoms and not try to shove your personal ethics and beliefs down the throats of others as long as no crime or laws are being broken. It is a right to protest and lobby your government to change laws and I support that 100%. Make the case for a benefit to the fishery to FWC- no argument from me.

    It is vigilante-ism and thuggish to confront and persecute private citizens acting within the law and regulations because you disagree.

    Be sure to do it Memorial Day weekend when the Wounded Warriors are honored. Go screw up their fishing day; fishing legally within the regs when they are the ones that paid the price for you to be able to fish at all.

    Well said. I do not know all of the details but I have been following this ***** show for a while. If ALL of the science suggests that jigging is really negatively impacting the fishery then FWC's decision should be an easy. The goal here seems to have become an outright attack on tarpon tournaments. That is a slippery slop that could lead to consequences that none of us can palette. Is this really about saving tarpon or is it now a contest of egos? Read this entire thread and the answer seems apparent. If any of you people are willing to interfere with the Wounded Warriors fishing, you should seriously check your motivation.
  • jrimmer1987jrimmer1987 Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Could this possibly be WhiteBacon??? I was in the pass watching the protest last year and I remembered this fella and figured this might be you! Only 21 Maverick in the pass that day.....
  • Captain SlayerCaptain Slayer Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Thats sylvester dixon, that good ol boy is not whitebacon, i put my money on chris klingel
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    Thats sylvester dixon, that good ol boy is not whitebacon, i put my money on chris klingel

    No way Sylvester would post the stuff Whitebacon posts.
This discussion has been closed.