Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

FWC to ban jig fishing in BGP

Replies

• AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    whitebacon wrote: »
    Abu, you have proven to be hanger-on. Keep snagging, keep jigging. Keep dreaming.

You *****, I deliver.

In your post you said "I promised I would get this done through legislation." No new legislation has been passed only a proposal. You are guilty of premature e-jerk-ulation.

I'll be in Lakeland in June if you would like to fill in those astericks face to face.
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    Tarponator wrote: »

We are saying the same thing, I think, except those guys I mentioned (and a few more I did not) already know how to catch bait, buy crabs, and catch tarpon without jigs. Maybe not Withers, who I don't know that well, but all the others are superb fishermen with or without a jig. It may not be an easy way to make a living, but it is hardly rocket science, and they are smart enough and experienced enough to survive and adapt.

Now the other guys who have been one trick ponies may, as you suggest, struggle, and you probably know better than I how many of those there are.

Take care...Mike

I agree, most of the guys you mentioned are good fisherman. Jig fishing in BGP is the most simple form of tarpon fishing that I know of. It takes zero prep work other than buying some lead. Like I said, the guys that can't adapt will be phased out. But when most of those guys have been jig fishing every morning for 10+ years there will be learning curve.

I will say this, the people that think the pass will be a ghost town after the jig is gone are wrong. I think it will be a much more pleasant place to fish and I think the fishery will benefit once the tarpon wrangling is over but to think for one second that out of town guides are gonna pack up shop and leave is just ignorant.
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    AlwaysAbu wrote: »

I'll be in Lakeland in June if you would like to fill in those astericks face to face.

Abu is a tough guy.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    doubledup wrote: »
    I will say this, the people that think the pass will be a ghost town after the jig is gone are wrong. I think it will be a much more pleasant place to fish and I think the fishery will benefit once the tarpon wrangling is over but to think for one second that out of town guides are gonna pack up shop and leave is just ignorant.

We shall see. :)

If banning the jig goes through (and I'm told it's hardly as open and shut of a case as some have suggested) I am very interested to see how the tarpon react to this. Because if they continue with their new behavior and/or it gets worse, I do wonder where the finger will be pointed next, or if each of us will have to take a long, hard look in the mirror as the collective cause of the changes.

Said a bit more directly, if the jig/PTTS is gone and the tarpon continue to change behavior then who are we going to blame next?

Curiously yours....Mike
    We shall see. :)Said a bit more directly, if the jig/PTTS is gone and the tarpon continue to change behavior then who are we going to blame next?

Curiously yours....Mike

Global warming.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Hopefully the Boca Grande PTTS circus is on it's way out..

One of the biggest problem caused by these a$$hat tarpon jiggers is the publicity they bring to recreational fishing thru their dipschit circus tournament, which ultimately spawns stiffer regulations for everyone.
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    We shall see. :)

Said a bit more directly, if the jig/PTTS is gone and the tarpon continue to change behavior then who are we going to blame next?

Curiously yours....Mike

Hopefully we will not have to ask that question. Only time will tell...
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    While you guys focus on one group of anglers you missed the fact that they just wiped out all the long running Bonefish events too, probably means more to keys establishments than jigs in BG

not exactly sure what all you all have against trying to catch a bigger fish than the next guy - most of you do it every trip per boat, I guess it changes if its boat to boat then its bad?
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    doubledup wrote: »
    Hopefully we will not have to ask that question. Only time will tell...

I agree. I think we also agree, we can no longer refute the affects boat traffic has on the Tarpon Patterns in the Pass & Beaches; by design, a ban on jigs, over time, will result in less and certainly more organized boat traffic.

Further digressions of tarpon can only be attributed to the stress & pollution caused by development & population growth, and acts of nature or climate conditions.
    Good to see the bonefish events gone too.
    While you guys focus on one group of anglers you missed the fact that they just wiped out all the long running Bonefish events too, probably means more to keys establishments than jigs in BG

not exactly sure what all you all have against trying to catch a bigger fish than the next guy - most of you do it every trip per boat, I guess it changes if its boat to boat then its bad?

Good. And I hope redfish are next.

If you're not going to eat a fish, let the **** thing go the place you caught it. Like real sportsmen do. You don't cart it around all day, weigh it, and let all of the day's catch go often miles away from where they were caught-- that's even worse than what the PTTS is doing, IMO.

I suppose that's simply too much to ask. When what's good for the ego and what's best for the fishery are at odds I think we all to often chose the former over the latter, and I, for one, applaud the new regulations to protect our most precious gamefish.

Have a nice weekend, Dixon...Mike
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    These are a few points that I just don't understand will benefit anyone with all this ruckus:

jigging is snagging - not accoriding to the FWC studies, it may result in more fish foul hooked but the fis his striking the jig
    http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/tarpon/catch-release/foul-hooking-incidence/

jigging kills more fish- not according to FWC mortality studies
    http://myfwc.com/media/201169/clean_final_vs8a_3535.pdf

Do away with the kill tag, PTTS dies - Not so, they have already gone to measurement only for 2013
    http://www.pttstv.com/category_s/53.htm
    "D. Gaffing tarpon is not permitted and will result in immediate disqualification. Tarpon may only be secured by using the tournament approved liplock device on the lower jaw. Once a fish has been secured it must be measured and is not eligible for release or DNA bonus points. In the event a liplocked fish is lost for any reason, the team is not eligible to enter another fish to be measured during that tournament."

Do away with jig fishing, the PTTS will die- WRONG. They have contracts with WFN, lots of sponsors, there is money in television. They can easily resort to a live bait PTTS. Its not a jig tournament, it's a "professional tarpon tournament". Do you think they will just walk away from all that money being generated because they cant use a jig? Just the basic entry fees of 50 boats at $1000 per tornament x 5 tournaments alone...well do the math. They will still advertise their guide services, and this time it will go head to head against live baiters, offering the same exact method of angling experience.

So really, science shows the fish are not endangered, so what is to gain from all these motions and appeals and proposals except FWC spends more of its resources on a topic that will make no difference regardless of the outcome?

If people act like morons in the Pass, its not because of what is tied on the end of their line.

I have made one consistent suggestion that will divide greed, crowd, and mix of anglers; and that is to restrict organized tournaments to M-F only and allow the highest volume days left to recreational anglers for recreation (not prizes) only.
    I hope you're right, Chuck, I really truly do.

I just don't see McCue, Huddleston, Price, Withers, Sapp, Goodwin, or any of those guys leaving. They have built a business in that pass, they are down there all season, they know how to live bait fish, and I think they will continue to do so every morning, jig or not.

I assume quite a bit of their business is centered around the jig tournys.... Once the circus is over and the circus wrapped boats, coupled with the Nascar team shirts fall to the wayside, the business model for these guys changes.

The exploitation of that resource for a select few is ridiculous and harmful to the fishing community as a whole. The Mercurio dip $-chit extravaganza adds to the overall problem.

I look forward to the day where I won't accidentally stumble across a PTTS TV episode plastered with gold chain wearing fishing guides.
    The exploitation of that resource for a select few?

Those guys had guide businesses before the PTTS, and they will have that same business after it.

It seems to me a whole lot of folks are exploiting the resource.... Recreationals, traditional live bait guides, bay boat live bait guides, fly-guides, jiggers, PTTS. You. Me. All of us.

How does one make the distinction between "good" and "bad" exploitation? Gold chains? A wrapped boat? A Pinellas or Hillsborough tag on your truck?

Getting past the gaff/drag -- which made for good TV and bad stewardship -- I'm not sure you can.

The sharks certainly don't care, do they?
  • whitebaconwhitebacon Posts: 354 Officer
    Let's do this again. I waged a notorious battle with Gary C. Either Gary quit his job or I had him forced out. You choose. I've mentioned it to him on these boards, and suspiciously he chooses not to engage me. I respect Gary, even though he is grossly wrong in this long-standing debate.

I promised I would affect the tarpon rules through legislation. We can call this "legislation" or whatever you want to call it. I stacked the board. Executive decisions. Administrative Board directives. I'm sure Gary will parse the legalities.

There are perhaps ten threads that have garnered multiple thousands of post and responses from me.

Believe when I tell you I will find the promise I made to that smug individual, Gary C.

The next time Gary, Gary, and Joe want to play with the big boys, tell them to strap on.
    I will fix the bonefish problem.
    You ridicule me all you want. I do this for a living. I respect you.

I don't influence legislation, I write the legislation.

And I've been there, done that. It's way beyond personal to me.
    I've made a specific promise tough guy. I will see this through. The next one thousand times I get a chance to derail your pathetic career I will take it.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    I've made a specific promise tough guy. I will see this through. The next one thousand times I get a chance to derail your pathetic career I will take it.

What ya drinkin' tonight?
    Fat boy Joe suggests that tournaments will be decided by "measurements". Wow there won't be any controversy there! Catch a fish once in your sorry opportunistic life< and then talk about skill fatty.
    Vodka and soda. But I'm, hell bent on putting those fools out of business. And I'm doing it.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Vodka and soda. But I'm, hell bent on putting those fools out of business. And I'm doing it.

15x08s9.jpg
    Tell Joe and GaryMerjercrkio that I am fishing in a snook tournament tomorrow. Tell fat man I am gunning for him at every juncture of his pathetic life. Can anyone dispute how many reach-arounds- Gary and Joe give each other?
    Toying with Gary is fun play. I wish he had a sack. He hides behind his dog and his wife and says he's the smartest guy in the universe. But he won't respond to me. Small manhood = child's play tough guy. Grow a sack
    We've actually used computer enhancement software to determine that Joe Merjerkio lives with his mommy, and the big thieves Gary Ingman and his dead daddy stole $125 million from a Texas bank.
    Tampa Tribune post this week from Gene White, who's parents pay his rent to this day???

Mark, I'm still cheating, can you shut your mouth please?
    We cheated together, but I've never been able to make a living without cheating!!!

~Gene White
    Ya know my daddy made a living, but I'm a loser hanger-oner. Can't believe that obnoxious poster banged my daughter repeatedly.

PsychoJaysFan.gif
This discussion has been closed.