Sight Fishing Beach Walk

This morning I got up at daylight and after the normal 3 cups of coffee catching up with the rest of the world that kept going after I went to sleep, I picked up a small ultralight outfit and decided to walk the beach to the jetties and back. The rod is an old Shimano BeastMaster Light and the reel is an old Shimano Stradic....You know white with a wood handle....I love the thing. It is spooled with Ande IFGA 4lb mono and I try to carry it every time I walk the beach. I also took a Plastic Publix Bag, some extra 10lb Florocarbon and a half dozen small Pompano Jigs with me.

I started my walk toward the jetties walking east into the sun and for the first 1/4 mile nothing even sparked my attention. After I passed the St. Andrews State Park Pier I seen a pod of fish coming from the east right on the beach.....I mean they were in knee deep water and bunched up like a covey of Quail. In a somewhat startled way I pitched my little jig out in front of the pod of Pompano and waited only a second or two before they were right on top of the little pink and orange jig. I twitched it and it looked like the whole school of Pompano was going to fight over which one got to eat it. I seemed almost effortless in getting hooked up and into a fight with one of them. The Hit was Hard, the Fight was Great and landing a Pompano on the beach with 4lb Mono is not real easy, but after I followed the school until they left quicker than I could follow I managed getting 4 of them to play with me and oddly enough caught all 4 of them One was a decent fish the others were run of the mill average.

If You have never sight fished Pompano from the Beach or a Pier I hope one day you will give it a try. In my opinion it is the most sporting type of -fishing we have in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Going Mano-Mano with a Pompano and fooling it to eat is a prize on it's on,,,,,catching the fish is a bonus. It is a wonderful way to fish.

What a Great way to start a Day.

I cleaned them right after I got back and the neighborhood Pelican was pretty good company as well.

Replies

• LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,190 Officer
    You guys that live down there are KILLING ME!!!!!!..............a little fishing on the pier after work in the evenings or a little fishing on a morning walk ON THE BEACH to start the day!! Can you tell that I'm just a little envious, stuck way up here in Tennessee! What an awesome way to start the day.....congrats on a few nice fish, as well. Hope you shared the scraps with the pelican...LOL!!!

Livin' the Dream !
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,038 Moderator
    Nice!

No bonefish?
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    That is pure skill. Hats off, sir!
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
    Nice!

No bonefish?

Not this trip, but I did catch one just west of the Panama City Beach pass last July.

Here is a Copy and Pasted Copy of the Report/Post if your actually interested....I would hope that you would not be making jest of my ability to identify a fish as easy to identify as a Bonefish.

Panama City Beach.......Uhhhh.... Bonefish....
    Last Friday Morning, I was in Panama City Beach and from our house to the west jetty is just a little more than a mile and many days that I spend the night there I walk to the Jettys and back for exercize. I most often carry a rod with a Pompano jig and look for something swimming close to the beach to mess with during the walk. Most often this time of year it's pretty much just ladyfish, but I have caught Cobia, Redfish, Pompano, Whiting, Bluefish, Spanish Makerel and Bonita during the walk to the jettys and back, but last Friday it was a pretty uneventful, as far as fish go, walk until I got right to the jetty.

When I got about 50 yards from the west jetty, I spotted a small pod of fish milling about just off the beach my first assumption was a small school of Whiting. I pitched the little Pompano jig out past the school of fish and after it hit bottom I bounced it slowly toward the outside edge of the pod of fish. Thinking the fish were Whiting, I was very lightly bouncing the jig barely off the bottom. As the jig got closer to the pod of fish, one of them swam toward the jig and didn't bother to follow it at all, it just ate. I set up on the fish not expecting too much resistance and to my surprize the fish ran more than 30 yards of 4lb line off the Stradic 1000 that I was fishing. The fight was quite a bit more than I expected, but it never crossed my mind that the fish was anything other than an obviously healthy Whiting. As I got the fish close to the beach I noticed it was still much more spunkier than any Whiting that I have ever messed with, and as I reached down to grab the florocarbon shock tippet/leader, I am looking at a Bonefish. It wasn't a large Bonefish at all I honestly think he was somewhere around 2 1/2 lbs, but it was an obvious Bonefish. I never carry my phone with me when I walk to the Jetty and back due to the risk of it getting wet, but I sure do wish I would have had it with me on this walk. I have caught several small Permit over the years while Pompano fishing, but this was my first Panhandle Bonefish.

It was Really Cool.
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Nice indeed! Great way to start the day! Thanks for sharing.
  • WillWill Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    I caught two Bonefish and a snook under the Tyndall Bridge just yesterday. Shame I didnt have a camera.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,038 Moderator
    Will wrote: »
    I caught two Bonefish and a snook under the Tyndall Bridge just yesterday. Shame I didnt have a camera.

Really? Wow! That's awesome.

How was the halibut bite? Supposedly folks were slaying the Chinook outside of Sandy Creek.... what I heard, anyway.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"