Home Fly Fishing

Bass in ponds

jack001jack001 Posts: 13 Deckhand
I live in St. Augustine area. Near my house there are few retention ponds which are stocked with White Hybrid Bass, There are few carps also.

I would like to do Fly Fishing in those ponds. What kind of flies to use for Bass? Any techniques? Any insights?

Replies

• staugustineflystaugustinefly Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Small poppers and Todd's wiggle minnows should do the trick for bass. Small bonefish flies will work for the carp. hope that helps.
  • hooknsnookhooknsnook Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    clouser minnows were made to catch bass.. once the sun is up higher and the top water bite shuts down..put on a dark colored clouser..
  • FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Small bonefish flies catch carp..unless they are grass carp which is I suspect you're seeing...in that case, wait for when they're feeding on top...otherwise...I got no experience with subsurface flies
  • DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Deckhand
    Chum the carp with corn or bread. Then throw a fly that resembles your chum. Canned corn works best.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
    My first bass on fly! New rod and reel and caught this in the first 30 minutes. It was 12" and I used a small black and yellow popper on the pond out behind my apartment. New to fly fishing and I'm hooked now.
  • kahmadkahmad Posts: 235 Officer
    sweet! Poppers are the way to go.

honestly you can catch largemouth on just about anything. I've seen people do it with cigarette butts.
  • jack001jack001 Posts: 13 Deckhand
    Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.
    I used yellow poppers in the morning, used clouser minnows in the evening. Absolutely no bites. The water is clear, I can see the bass. They are busy spawning. May be they are not interested in the flies.
    Or maybe I am doing something wrong, any suggestions?:huh
  • kahmadkahmad Posts: 235 Officer
    If they are spawning you need to get them pissed. Send that fly right into their bed.

Otherwise I would assume your retrieve needs to be faster.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 737 Officer
    Ive caught more bass on a popper like in the pic above, than any other fly...... When I bass fish, won't leave home without a bumble bee popper.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 378 Deckhand
    All good advise, I love clousers and wiggle minnows. However, I believe the hybrids(sunshine bass?) prefer shad to anything. In Lake Ida near Palm Beach live shad kills them so you might want to try a small baitfish pattern in white with pale grey or siver back and holographic stick on eyes. I like # 4 Tiemco hooks for this pattern and prefer Deadly Dazzle to other synthetics.(others will work). Wrap lead wire on shank and fish it on intermediate clear sink or if water deep use a fast sink tip(6-7" per second). I also like a CCG head but just gluing eyes on will work.

I tie this in various colors to match bait available and do well when they refuse other stuff. Let me know if it works for you.
  • jack001jack001 Posts: 13 Deckhand
    I used this fly. Foam Popper on 3x high float leader and 3x mono tippet.4 wt rod Used early in morning just at daybreak . caught 3 bass in 15 minutes. Lot of fun but then there was no action.