Home Egret Boats

The Finished Product ! - 2013 Egret 189

DoodledogDoodledog Posts: 27 Greenhorn
This thread is for my fellow Egret owners and/or those who are contemplating buying your dream "one of a kind" boat. Back in January I posted on this forum and asked for input on what I should put on a new boat. Several of you responded and then allowed me to email you with more detailed questions. I have even bought a spare prop from one of the faithful as I now call the unbelievably dedicated and supportive Egret family. I have met the famous Frank and have gone through the process of designing a new boat to getting it wet in my home waters. My wife and I went to the plant and spent a couple of days going over her and even using the famous Washington, NC city boat ramp that I have seen in so many pictures. I am sure some of you will recognize it in the pictures here. This whole process has been such fun that I wanted to share some of my experiences with those that helped to make it possible, the faithful. You all know who you are.

I initially researched over forty brands of "flats boats" before I settled on Egret. Part of the reason I did was because of the information I got from this forum and the fervor of the many folks who frequent this site. I found the forum in a Google search myself and learned all about the 2011 build of Renegade69 which made me dig deeper. Maybe someday somebody will find this thread the same way.

I have put up a library of cradle to grave pictures that can be found at the following link: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0Acs2bNi4aNWzmg If for some reason you can't make this link work properly just contact me at [email protected] and I will get it fixed.

In the past I have owned a Grady White 300 Marlin, a Ranger 2410 Bay Boat and a Carolina Skiff 18 JVX CC. I sold the Grady and the CS and replaced them with the Egret 189. I am now a two boat family.

Any questions you may have about any of my boat options, the process itself or anything else you may want to ask about just please feel free to contact me here or at the email address above in this thread. So without any further ado here goes.

I placed my order on January 18, 2013 and picked the boat up on March 15, 2013 at the plant in Washington, NC. The Standard Egret Specifications & Capacities are:

LOA: 18'9"
Beam: 7'5" or 89"
Loaded Draft: 10-11"
Fuel Tank Capacity: 56 Gallons
Weight With Carbon/Kevlar Lamination Option: 825 LBS
Racor Fuel Filter
Ritchie Compass
Perko Battery Switch
(1) PC-1500 Odyssey Battery
Stainless Steel Trim Tabs
Cockpit Lights
Hydraulic Steering
800 GPH Bait & Live Well Pumps
Bow & Stern Eyes
Welded Poling Platform – Rod Holders
Poling Platform with Folding Step
Stainless Steel Grab Bars on Console

My Ordered Options & Additions were:

175 Mercury Optimax Pro XS Engine (Black Egret Graphics on Hull, Etc.)
Mercmonitor NEMA 2000 Engine Gauge
Fuel Management - Mercury Smartcraft
Carbon/Kevlar Lamination
Forward Casting Platform
10' Powerpole Blade Series w/Remote Control (Black) With WavePak Option
Console Mounted Rod Holders (1 pair)
Flush Mounted Rod Holders (2pairs)
Removable Leaning Bars for poling platform & casting platform
Garmin 740s + GXM51 Weather & Radio + Airmar P79 Transducer
Garmin 200 VHF (010-00756-00) With External Microphone
Digital 222-VW 3' VHF Antenna
Sony CDX-H910UI - Inside Console Install - With XS-MP162W 6 1/2" Spkrs
(2) Livewell Aerators - 12 volts - with Separate Switches
Edson Steering Wheel - With Tilt Steering Pump
(2) MICRO MATRIX LED Underwater lights with Independent Dimmers
(2) LED spreader lights under Poling Platform
Minn Kota 24V I-Pilot & 2 PC-1500 Odyssey Batteries
Minn Kota quick release, switch & circuit breaker
Triple battery charger - Stealth
Wind Screen
Color of Hull - Awl Grip Light Gray, Sides & Off White Bottom
Two Tone Deck & Console - Awl Grip Pearl Gray on Console, Non Skid & Off White On Smooth
Helm Seat Cushions (Gray & White)
Backrest Cushion (Gray & White)
Removable Bow Bass Seat (Gray & White)
Rub Rail Color Black
Console Cover
Port and Starboard stern cleats
Cigarette Lighter Sockets (2)
Stainless Steel Prop (Four Blade Optima Turbo 21 Pitch)
EZ Loader Aluminum Trailer, S/S Hardware, Aluminum wheels, Spare tire
LED lights inside all storage compartments
50 Quart Yeti Cooler + Medium Gray Cushion & Backrest Cushion
All Hatches to Have Locking Latches
Dive Ladder on Fiberglass Swim Platform
Removable Aluminum Push Pole Holders
(2) SS Grab Rails on Port & Starboard Ends of the Helm Cushion

The pictures then started coming from Frank. From the mold to the liner. Piece by piece, step by step.

Once she was almost ready to go we made plans to get up to Washington and Pick her up.

Frank had water tested her on Wednesday and we showed up Friday morning. As we went through the boat Frank showed us all of the wiring, fuses and a million other little things. He explained the live wells to my wife and explained the wiring.

It was really interesting to talk about my boat and all the various steps that brought Frank Afshari from his homeland to college in the states and then his career as an architect and builder to buying Egret and all of its assets at auction. Then the move to Washington, North Carolina leaving homes in Connecticut and the Florida Keys to chase his passion of building these boats.

One of my favorite stories I now tell my friends about buying an Egret from Frank goes like this. My wife was transferring our basic gear to the boat so we would be USCG legal when we got home so I could take her straight off the trailer once we got there. I needed to run her from the launch ramp to the Amelia Island Yacht Basin where she will take up residence in inside dry storage next to my other boat. Here she is standing in the anchor locker.

I have a Fortress anchor and lo and behold the flukes were too long to fit in the slots in the anchor storage tube and allow the lid to close. With one look Frank calls out to William, his chief rigger, and they proceed to cut the slots deeper so that the anchor would fit. Look at how William taped the boat so that his extension cord wouldn't leave any marks on the boat. What a great job and attention to detail.

But all good things must come to an end and we got her ready to "leave the nest" and make her way five hundred miles south to Amelia Island, Florida.

Once we got home the weather didn't cooperate for several cold and wet days but we finally got her squared away and the pictures below are from the third time we got her out on the water.

I don't have to tell you how much we like the boat. We love it and are getting more and more familiar with her. I have a Mark Croxton custom prop to try out and all kinds of experiments to conduct. Frank has already sent me some spare pipes for the live wells and wouldn't let me pay him for them. It has been fantastic to work with him to say the least.

There are a whole lot more pictures in the library link I mentioned earlier and if anyone has any questions about anything I will do my best to answer them.

The boat is named Patriot II in concert with her sister bay boat Patriot. They are both proud components of the Patriot Fishing Team here on Amelia which is made up of my wife Pat and one of the luckiest guys on earth who has two boats, namely me.

We are happy campers and the Egret is just one fine boat. Thanks for reading all of this and Frank and his team really deserve all the credit for making great boats that are literally exactly what the buyer wants, right down to the anchor lockers!!!

:)
:smiley-computer Doodledog :fishing

Replies

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Spectacular post, spectacular boat. Enjoy her in good health!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Well written review. All the best with the new bird. Welcome to the family.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Glad to help and enjoy your new ride. Looks awesome!
    If you have any questions on the props feel free to call me! :thumbsup
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    That swim platform is cool...I could really use one...
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I like it also. Must be custom because it has a cut out for the trim tab. If I did not have dual poles on my boat I would consider it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • DoodledogDoodledog Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I like it also. Must be custom because it has a cut out for the trim tab. If I did not have dual poles on my boat I would consider it.

It was one of my little additions. They actually fabricated it with the Egret logo on top and the pearl gray non skid to match the deck. Stainless Steel ladder and double bolted through the transom. They cut just enough of a hole to allow the trim tab to go through as you noted. Frank had shown me some pictures of another request for one that he had done and they then came up with the version on my boat.

When I bought my Ranger I got dual power poles because I wanted to be able to point and position in any direction. Unfortunately with my hard T-top and the size of the boat itself, coupled with our winds and currents here ruined my plan completely. I had to give up the ladder on the stern for the second power pole so I don't have any good way to get back in the boat if I ever find myself out of it someday. Believe it or not the Ranger will actually swing completely around in a 180 with both pins down if there is enough wind and/or current. Soft mud bottom in most places and nothing breaks or shows any wear. I would not have thought it possible. So with my Egret I just got one and Frank gave me my OOPs insurance.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    awesome. I love that grey.. the swim platform is great,I could really use it too for certain people that go snorkeling withme.
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Doodledog wrote: »
    Believe it or not the Ranger will actually swing completely around in a 180 with both pins down if there is enough wind and/or current. Soft mud bottom in most places and nothing breaks or shows any wear. I would not have thought it possible. So with my Egret I just got one and Frank gave me my OOPs insurance.

If the boat swings around on two then it should also drag on one OR two powerpoles. Are the poles down far enough? You can also use the I-pilot with a single powerpole to hold orientation..

The T-H marine boarding ladder is what I put on my boat for an easy bolt on emergency boarding ladder. It just uses the existing motor bolts.

EBL-1-emergency-boarding-jack-plate-ladder-UP-position-500.jpg
    EBL-1-emergency-boarding-jack-plate-ladder-DOWN-position-500.jpg
    mbowers wrote: »
    If the boat swings around on two then it should also drag on one OR two powerpoles. Are the poles down far enough? You can also use the I-pilot with a single powerpole to hold orientation..

The T-H marine boarding ladder is what I put on my boat for an easy bolt on emergency boarding ladder. It just uses the existing motor bolts.

You are absolutely correct. The Egret spins around based on wind and/or current using the one power pole I have on it. All of my power poles have been installed with what they call the Wave-Pak option that basically adds an additional hydraulic fluid reservoir to the line which produces what you could call continuous downward pressure on the pole. Once I set them down and have stopped completely I hang on to the button a little longer than I need to. The two poles on the Ranger operate in unison and raise and lower together. Over the time I am sitting there they will actually fully extend if the bottom is soft enough regardless of water depth. I have not tried my i-Pilot to hold orientation but that should work well too.

Ranger put the pegs below on my boat, actually mounted on the jack plate as an alternative to the swim ladder I gave up with the second power pole. I am not a real fan because there is not much to hold onto if I actually had to try and haul myself in. My arms don't go all the way around a 300 Yamaha cowling and a swinging little peg is a small target for me. Your seems at least rigid which would make it easier to climb on.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Doodledog wrote: »
    You are absolutely correct. The Egret spins around based on wind and/or current using the one power pole I have on it. All of my power poles have been installed with what they call the Wave-Pak option that basically adds an additional hydraulic fluid reservoir to the line which produces what you could call continuous downward pressure on the pole. Once I set them down and have stopped completely I hang on to the button a little longer than I need to. The two poles on the Ranger operate in unison and raise and lower together. Over the time I am sitting there they will actually fully extend if the bottom is soft enough regardless of water depth. I have not tried my i-Pilot to hold orientation but that should work well too.

Ranger put the pegs below on my boat, actually mounted on the jack plate as an alternative to the swim ladder I gave up with the second power pole. I am not a real fan because there is not much to hold onto if I actually had to try and haul myself in. My arms don't go all the way around a 300 Yamaha cowling and a swinging little peg is a small target for me. Your seems at least rigid which would make it easier to climb on.

I would expect the boat to spin around on one powerpole, but if it spins around on two that means the poles can not hold position in that bottom and the boat must also be changing position (dragging anchor) as well as orientation. At least an electic motor GPS anchor doesn't care what the bottom is like although if the current and wind are stronger than the motor's thrust you won't hold position either. :)

In my home waters the bottom is very hard sand so the powerpole will not deploy very far (3-6" I'm guessing). If the tide is incoming I can only hold position for 5-15 mins or so before I drag position or have to reset the powerpole. Maybe the wave pak would help that, but then I only have the 6foot Powerpole because I wanted it to stay below the level of the poling platform when at rest. The I-pilot is much more useful to me as far as I can tell so far..

The poling platform together with the sliding ladder which is rigid makes for an reasonable in/out. The ladies even seem to appreciate it for a bathroom stop that doesn't require complete immersion in the water.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Spectacular post, spectacular boat. Enjoy her in good health!

X2

Congrats. Egrets are special.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • sterlingxs22sterlingxs22 Posts: 158 Officer
    That's a great boat you got there.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Just wanted to let you know this post is really helpful. I myself am considering a new Egret. Still unsure if I will purchase new or used. I am not in a hurry. Going down to Duck key to see the 189 in action tomorrow so as to inform my decision.

You designed a great boat!

A couple of questions:

Is the VHF radio antenna easily removable and stowable?

Do you have pictures of the LED spreader lights on the poling platform (I looked in your Shutterfly) and have they worked out well? They aren't obtrusive?

Do you have pictures of the swim platform and how has it worked out? I do some freediving and this piqued my interest.

Anything you would go back and change on the boat if you could?

Thanks for your thorough review.
    Saw the pics of the swim platform later in the post. Disregard that part.
  • tspotornotspotorno Posts: 10 Deckhand
    HeartNShoal,

I have pretty much the exact same boat as this thread, just different electronics.

Yes the UHF antenna is easy to remove. I usually remove it when I get to where I'm going.

I have the same swim platform. Barely notice it is back there and makes getting in and out easy...

Led Spreader lights, they are under the poling platform, out of the way, I do not find myself using them often.

I'm in Titusville, FL. I'd be a little bit of a haul but if you want to see it, send me a pm.
    Just wanted to let you know this post is really helpful. I myself am considering a new Egret. Still unsure if I will purchase new or used. I am not in a hurry. Going down to Duck key to see the 189 in action tomorrow so as to inform my decision.

You designed a great boat!

A couple of questions:

Is the VHF radio antenna easily removable and stowable?

Do you have pictures of the LED spreader lights on the poling platform (I looked in your Shutterfly) and have they worked out well? They aren't obtrusive?

Do you have pictures of the swim platform and how has it worked out? I do some freediving and this piqued my interest.

Anything you would go back and change on the boat if you could?

Thanks for your thorough review.

HeartNShoal,

The spreader lights are completely out of the way mounted under the poling platform. Look on either side of my hat in this picture. They are about two inches high and six inches wide. Very small but plenty bright. They do help if you come into or leave from a dark dock.

I have had her for a year now and have used all of the options I put on her at least some. From my standpoint I wouldn't really change anything or add any other options. Electronics is always a personal preference based on your own experience. The boat is dry. The compartments are dry. I run a three blade prop on the Merc 175 and it really performs a lot like a rocket sled. At least in my market it was within two or three thousand of a loaded Hewes or Maverick. And the locking storage and just plain space can't be beat in my opinion. And besides all of that, I still think she's pretty !!

Doodledog
    Doodledog,

Frank tells me that if I put the 50 Yeti the back rest on the console sits up too high. I see you took this option? What do you think of it? In my opinion I like the cooler that does not stick out the sides of the console. The backrest is nice, it makes the boat look more finish even if you can't lean too much on the back rest, but it does look high. What do you think?