Redfish, Black Drum, and Dead Marine Life

With the added bumper traffic in the lagoon, I decided to spend a few weeks in the NIRL fishing my home grounds that I grew up on. Don't get me wrong, fishing in the Mosquito Lagoon is still red hot but I unfortunately had a client who had to hear 2 boats mouthing off at each other and it totally ruined the experience for him. With that being said, fishing in the river is still as good as ever. Heavy north winds drove down the water levels for a period of time which schooled the redfish up in good numbers. These fish were happy to eat a well presented soft plastic bait as usual. Look for the redfish hanging over grass ledges and some very skinny water. Some of these fish are almost beaching themselves trying to get warm in the cooler waters. With the temps beginning to warm up, look for them to start moving in the 2' water range.
2h6fux2_zpsce0367b8.jpg

Black drum are swarming the flats in some of the biggest numbers I've seen in a long time! As you know, these fish aren't always the easiest to get to eat. If you run across some and don't have any bait, try throwing a soft plastic that has some good scent on it. If that doesn't work, find some snails and break them open and that should work as well!
5b5mp4_zpsf3457fad.jpg
Now to a more of a sad report. Many of you know that our waters in a lot of turmoil right now. Recently, a lot of anglers and guides are finding dead marine life such as brown pelicans, manatees, and porpoises. If you see ANY dead marine life, please report it to the FWC hotline. We're not certain as to why the massive kill is happening but one could speculate that something in our waters are hurting the wildlife. Please try and practice Catch Photo & Release so we can salvage what we have left. Store this in your phone! FWC’s Wildlife Alert Hotline: 888-404-3922.
541127_10151539930395479_1163311222_n_zps71c0e6fe.jpg

Good luck out there and tight lines!
t54z8y_zpsb3ec7091.jpg

Replies

• hodgie2411hodgie2411 Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Nice report Tyler, big fan of all your reports!!
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    **** report as usual.. thanks!
  • BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 447 Deckhand
    Nicely done Capt.:beer
    Dumb Fish Die First
  • REEL NATIVEREEL NATIVE Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Good post and thanks for the info and FWC number!
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    I'm so proud of you!
    Signature
  • Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 885 Officer
    Ah, not the porpoises now... I hope I don't run into anything like that, but if I do I make a report. Anyways thank you for this positive report!
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif
  • Dirty_South_BTDirty_South_BT Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Its funny you mention lagoon traffic. As I witnessed YOU cut across a flat that had 3 boats already on it fishing (yes, I was the first one there in case you were wondering). I'm guessing you hadn't been able to find fish in the morning, seeing as how you ran less than 100 yards away from all the boats. BUT to top it off, you continued to stop and fish the schools that YOU JUST RAN OVER. I think its best for you and everybody else to keep your "talents" in the NIRL until you learn how to fish and respect the lagoon.
  • yachteryachter Posts: 182 Officer
    Good Report, I also added FWC Number to phone
  • Capt. Tyler VollmerCapt. Tyler Vollmer Posts: 414 Officer
    Its funny you mention lagoon traffic. As I witnessed YOU cut across a flat that had 3 boats already on it fishing (yes, I was the first one there in case you were wondering). I'm guessing you hadn't been able to find fish in the morning, seeing as how you ran less than 100 yards away from all the boats. BUT to top it off, you continued to stop and fish the schools that YOU JUST RAN OVER. I think its best for you and everybody else to keep your "talents" in the NIRL until you learn how to fish and respect the lagoon.

That's odd, the family in the ranger who had trouble catching fish that had a small child on board informed you had done the same thing to them. I wasn't there to witness it so they could have been pulling my leg. After a quick lesson on how to fish the lagoon, they were reeling in fish shortly after you had left. The reason I bring up the small child was because after you landed your fish that was from a school that was 100 yards away that I RAN OVER somehow, you proceeded to pole my way and berate me with every curse word you could think of. Your actions ruined the experience for me, my client, and the family who was struggling to figure out how to fish the lagoon. I had to apologize for you.

Now to the second part. Never in this report that I provided for the forum members did I mention mine or anyone's talents. That is all you. I will admit to my wrong doing when I cut it a little close. That was not my plan to blow your fish up. For that I am sorry. So, now that I've cleared the air with that matter lets get onto you telling us we need to fish somewhere else. I pay my dues to fish the lagoon whether it's permits, fees, or doing clean-ups once a month along certain shorelines that need it the most. My respect for the lagoon holds more value than you could ever imagine.
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,907 Admiral
    Welcome...now please go away.
    That's odd, the family in the ranger who had trouble catching fish that had a small child on board informed you had done the same thing to them. I wasn't there to witness it so they could have been pulling my leg. After a quick lesson on how to fish the lagoon, they were reeling in fish shortly after you had left. The reason I bring up the small child was because after you landed your fish that was from a school that was 100 yards away that I RAN OVER somehow, you proceeded to pole my way and berate me with every curse word you could think of. Your actions ruined the experience for me, my client, and the family who was struggling to figure out how to fish the lagoon. I had to apologize for you.

Actually, you are wrong and wrong. I was the first one there and guess how I got there ??? WITH A PUSH POLE FROM THE OUTSIDE BAR. That big ranger used his trolling motor all the way up to me once he saw me catching fish, same with the maverick, same with the small tiller, and you did the same. And as for that "poor" family, I called out to them that they had schools of fish next to them multiple times and tried suggesting where to cast (even though they came in on me worse that you).. guess how I was rewarded with that ? Dumb looks as they chopped grass with their trolling motor. Yes that school 100 yards from you never settled back down. Guess they don't like being run over.

Hope you enjoyed watching me catch fish. I did.
    I was here before the site went down. Guess I never made me way back because all the Barneys like you on here.
    You could have sent CTV a PM if you had a problem...I am sure you were just as sporty prior to the crash but no need to keep it rollin. :hairraiser
    Last comment on this troll.
  • Reel EarlyReel Early Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    :Popcorn
  • 72soa72soa Posts: 314 Officer
    The fun of fishing the lagoon. The best thing about it all is that it is only going to get worse. I wish more people took up golf.
  • tuna mantuna man Posts: 628 Officer
    Hey BT, i just want to know one thing. Did the Capt. Have his pink fishing pole? Oh, almost forgot, I nominate paint can as forum police chief. LOL. Notice DuPont, no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No, people need to know this "captains" true colors.
  • Off Shore DudeOff Shore Dude Posts: 303 Deckhand
    No, people need to know this "captains" true colors.

Let he whom is perfect throw the first stone...
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,736 AG
    I was here before the site went down. Guess I never made me way back because all the Barneys like you on here.

Wow... You must be on a " No Barneys" site....along with all the other hot rods that are the big time catchers.

We sure missed you. :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Chuck DChuck D Posts: 427 Officer
    Well I sure wasn't there that day, but I have fished with capt Tyler, and have heard various reports of him catching NMZ violators. From what I have seen of him, and what others have told me, I can't imagine him fishing in a deliberately disrespectful or harmful way. Maybe he made a mistake, but I am of the opinion that Capt Tyler is one of the good guys. Just my two cents.
    tuna man wrote: »
    Hey BT, i just want to know one thing. Did the Capt. Have his pink fishing pole? Oh, almost forgot, I nominate paint can as forum police chief. LOL. Notice DuPont, no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just don't have a problem calling it like I see it... And you are the biggest donkey on this forum... That is all... Back to ignoring your dribble.
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Wow... You must be on a " No Barneys" site....along with all the other hot rods that are the big time catchers.

We sure missed you. :rotflmao

You know whats funny ? I received multiple PMs informing me that you and "Dupont" would be responding to this thread. LOL. So predictable... be gone little fanboys
    I know "whats funny"
    You came on here to bash someone who is helpful and liked...got a cool to lukewarm reception at best...and now want to pick a fight with me.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Buzzing over fish is not helpful and I don't like him so thats all that matters to me, really don't care what you have to say.
    You know whats funny ? I received multiple PMs informing me that you and "Dupont" would be responding to this thread. LOL. So predictable... be gone little fanboys

That is funny...
    You know whats funny ? I received multiple PMs informing me that you and "Dupont" would be responding to this thread.

Really?...Is there some sort of a troll hotline? :banana
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Buzzing over fish is not helpful and I don't like him so thats all that matters to me, really don't care what you have to say.
    Then why do you keep replying?:cool:
  • Capt. Tyler VollmerCapt. Tyler Vollmer Posts: 414 Officer
    You're really making a fool of yourself. I've admitted my wrong doing publicly and privately to you. If you want to call my "colors" into play after dropping in on a flat that was over 100 yards away, have at it. Plenty of other people have a completely different perspective of my colors to which many others would agree with. One young gun with a bad attitude on the water and an agenda to besmirch my name ...on an internet forum... isn't going to affect me.

Him or HIM?

[video=youtube_share;aUUSz54G6jc]
    Signature
    You're really making a fool of yourself. I've admitted my wrong doing publicly and privately to you. If you want to call my "colors" into play after dropping in on a flat that was over 100 yards away, have at it. Plenty of other people have a completely different perspective of my colors to which many others would agree with. One young gun with a bad attitude on the water and an agenda to besmirch my name ...on an internet forum... isn't going to affect me.

It's OK he's the only REAL fisherman on this board!
    Signature