Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Looking to buy Polarized glasses

What are your thoughts as to who makes the best?

I really like the looks of the Oakleys but I hear the Costa are the best, if so are they that much better? Thanks for any of your thoughts.

Replies

• Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    Maui Jim or Costa del Mar. Just got my two Costas repair for just shipping fees. Great customer service. Maui Jim's have great lens quality as well. Costa del mar go with the 580 lens (glass)
  • the other guythe other guy Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I never had oakleys. Had a couple pairs of costas. Great lenses, but I never liked the frames. Rubber on the nose as well as the stems always fell apart after a short period of time. However, I sent them back and they always fixed them at a minimal cost. Kind of a pain, but good customer service. I've had a pair of maui jims for almost 4 years now and couldn't be happier. Great frames, lenses, everything. More $$ but well worth it imho.
  • Shady_GradyShady_Grady Posts: 52 Deckhand
    I have owned multiple pairs of costa and will never purchase another pair. I for one dont like to spend top dollar for a product made in china. People wear costa's mainly because they have incredible marketing. I have Maui Jims now and will never go back to costas. :USA
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Thanks for all your answers I appreciate you guys taking the time to do so. I really really really wanted a pair of great polarized sunglasses with the white frames & blue lenses, Im not seeing that in the Maui Jims or the Oakley's.
    Costa has them but now yall are scaring me LOL!!!
  • danmanswagdanmanswag Posts: 515 Officer
    Costa is the only way to go...you will always get a couple ppl who dislike the brand (just as the case with any product). Put on a pair of 580g blue and go out fishing and tell me what you think lol...the lens does the talking. I clean them with my shirt or towel, while they are salty or dirty...still not scratched after around 2 years. The rubber around the nose area started to come off (probably my fault for leaving them on my dashboard in the SoFL heat and leaving salt on them) and they repaired them and sent them back in 2 weeks for free ($12 shipping) I have another pair that I only use on land and the rubber has has not come off or started to, its been 1 year.

I have never owned a pair of Maui Jims so i cant say too much about them. What i can say is that i have tried them on out on the water (friends pair) and would not trade my Costas for Mauis. My Costas also fit me perfect....just my $0.02
  • The Bug ShackThe Bug Shack Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I'm an eye doc and we sell several different sunglass brands. There are a lot of good quality glasses out there, I prefer Costa 580's but Maui Jim is good too (I own both). My advice is go with a good name brand and make sure they fit very well.
    Frank
    The Bug Shack
    www.vrbo.com/286011
    Thanks for all your answers I appreciate you guys taking the time to do so. I really really really wanted a pair of great polarized sunglasses with the white frames & blue lenses, Im not seeing that in the Maui Jims or the Oakley's.
    Costa has them but now yall are scaring me LOL!!!

LOL! I wouldnt be scared of Costas, they have an incredible warranty program. Basically Costas business plan is based around knowing that they can build and replace multiple pairs of glasses and still make an incredible profit, hence the chinese based plants. I am not knocking the 580 lens, they really are good but I would give Ocean Waves glasses a good look as well, if you want the blue and white combo. Ocean wave was originated in 1980 and pretty much was the driving factor for Costa's starting their business in 1983 I believe. Whichever way you go, there are a lot of quality glasses out there and I hope you enjoy them on the water!:USA
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I have Costas now and wore Maui Jims for years. I think it's a matter of finding the ones that fit the best. They're both excellent.
  • migsthunnusmigsthunnus Posts: 112 Deckhand
    1st choice= Costa 580 lens backwater green (mulitpurpose for offshore/inland) I think this is the besy lens out there
    2nd- choice Ocean Waves backwater green lens (cheaper than Costas and have similar lens technology)
    3rd- Maui Jims glasses are good from what I hear ( never used them but my buddy swears by them) and they are similar to Ocean Waves lens technology
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I have both Costas & Ocean Waves & I like them both... I've bought a few pair of new Costa 580s on eBay for ~$150-$175 & all have been 'real' (no fakes). IMO the best lens color 580 for inshore/near-shore 'sight-fishing' is Copper...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • DodgemanDodgeman Posts: 92 Greenhorn
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    Joakly's are for looks, costa's are for functionality, plus they look good
    Thanks fellas for all your input, I am not a salt water guy as I live in the upstate of SC. I tend to fish a lot of deep water reservoirs for them bucket mouth bass so I leaning hard towards the Costa 580's with blue lenses. As for how they fit goes I was thinking about buying them online, is it safe to say you guys don't feel this is a good idea? I feel like I have a medium size head, but my friends & family Im sure would beg to differ & say I had a BIG HEAD!LOL!
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    I would definitely try some on before deciding. If you purchase the glass lenses they can be a lifetime pair of glasses as long as you dont lose them and well worth the added effort to find the pair you truly like. There are several different options, styles and sizes. If it were me, I would try to find a mom and pops store and keep your money local and support the community. They won't be much more expensive as costa has some sort of agreement with their retailers as to how high and low they can sell them, plus you'll know your getting the real thing and not taking the chance of getting some kind of reproduction pair online, but that's just me.
    I was goint to buy them from the Costa Del Mar store online, but I like the sound of your idea now that you mentioned it.:wink
  • danmanswagdanmanswag Posts: 515 Officer
    If you buy them at a mom and pop store, thatd be awesome b/c its always best to support a local small business....but not gonna lie, ive bought 2 of mine on ebay (3rd was a gift). I saved about $75...im not poor, but thats a nice chunk
    I was goint to buy them from the Costa Del Mar store online, but I like the sound of your idea now that you mentioned it.:wink

I used to live in Charleston SC and if you are down on the coast, go pay them a visit. They are on King Street and will pretty much beat any price you see out there and that includes online a lot of the time. I got $219 dollar glasses for $149 from them and their customer service is the best. :USA
    I used to live in Charleston SC and if you are down on the coast, go pay them a visit. They are on King Street and will pretty much beat any price you see out there and that includes online a lot of the time. I got $219 dollar glasses for $149 from them and their customer service is the best. :USA

The name would help lol, Jackson Davenport, awesome people.