Pier Fishing using artificials

Eddyc01Eddyc01 Posts: 34 Greenhorn
I was fishing the public piers at Fort Myers, Cape Coral and Sanibel. One thing I notice was everyone was using real bait; shrimp, squid, crabs and fish.
Does anyone use artificials and if so, which ones are productive?

Replies

• DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    i use sabikis gotcha plugs and squid spoons ...also some pompano jigs
    Let's go fishing!
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    it can be hard to work a lure correctly at a pier just because of being so high off the water. And most ppl that goto the pier go just to do something
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Posts: 381 Deckhand
    I've used gotchas, bubble rigs, and rattle traps/Cordell spots.
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Eddyc01 wrote: »
    I was fishing the public piers at Fort Myers, Cape Coral and Sanibel. One thing I notice was everyone was using real bait; shrimp, squid, crabs and fish.
    Does anyone use artificials and if so, which ones are productive?

Do yourself a favor and buy a couple of packs of 1/2 oz DOA shrimp, near-clear. Toss 'em near the rocks at the beginning of the pier or around pilings. If the snook are there, and I am sure they are, you'll catch 'em non-stop.
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
    Calusa wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and buy a couple of packs of 1/2 oz DOA shrimp, near-clear. Toss 'em near the rocks at the beginning of the pier or around pilings. If the snook are there, and I am sure they are, you'll catch 'em non-stop.
    sweet deal. I think I'll try that next time!
    Let's go fishing!
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,393 Officer
    Calusa wrote: »

I can confirm, this isn't always true.

Edit: to contribute, grab some tube jigs or gotchas. You can sweeten the tube jigs with live shrimp if they're selling them on the pier.
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 500 Deckhand
    Sabiki's are always effective when bait is swimming around the peir. I've seen huge cobia caught off of the peir in Juno beach off of bucktail jigs tipped with squid. The artificial of choice at Juno believe it or not are crappy jigs. I'm not a peir fisherman... I'll go up there a couple times a year if the seas are too rough to take the boat out and the locals on the peir swear by those crappy jigs for spanish macks, bluefish, snook, permit, runners, ect.
    yeah small bucktail have produced some serious fish!
    Let's go fishing!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Just to clarify, and I may be wrong: You mean Crappie jigs, not crappy jigs, right? Not saying that under the right circumstances that crappy jigs wont catch fish. But Crappie jigs do seem to have a sort of universal appeal to predator size baitfish, fresh or saltwater.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,262 Officer
    I caught a 19 inch Pompano and half of these mackerel on crappie jigs a few days ago.

8makcs3blues3lbpomp_0104_zpsf761cc05.jpg
    Giimoozaabi
  • Eddyc01Eddyc01 Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Just to clarify, and I may be wrong: You mean Crappie jigs, not crappy jigs, right? Not saying that under the right circumstances that crappy jigs wont catch fish. But Crappie jigs do seem to have a sort of universal appeal to predator size baitfish, fresh or saltwater.

Aren't Crappie jigs a bit small for what's out there?
    The Crappie jigs I've used are usually about 1-1.5" long and 1/16-1/8 oz in weight.
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    ive seen guys use them like a sabiki rig. They rig up 4-5 in a row and tear up mackerel. End the line with a pyramid sinker to help it get down faster then just bounce it along, even works for pomps
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    I guy I work with just slayed the hell out of Spanish this past weekend at Ft DeSoto using white crappie jigs. A Spanish Mackerel will hit just about anything that moves nearby.
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,400 Admiral
    gotcha plug in gold and chartreuse will catch a variety of fish off piers.
  • ReelinrudyReelinrudy Posts: 298 Deckhand
    It's already been said, but gotcha's are a must-have for any pier fishing. Anything with a lead head or plenty of weight. Lures with a lip (x-raps come to mind) can be worked effectively from a pier as well.
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 500 Deckhand

Lol! Yes I stand corrected...meant to say crappie jigs. Very effective from what I understand, although I initially thought the hooks on those jigs would be a bit flimsy for saltwater duty.
    guys, how do you work those light weight jigs in the water? I tried it and i could not feel a thing, and with the current it always rid to the upper water column
    Let's go fishing!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    guys, how do you work those light weight jigs in the water? I tried it and i could not feel a thing, and with the current it always rid to the upper water column

A friend of mine will rig 3 of them using dropper loops (think chicken rigs for bottom fishing snapper/grunt ) then he ties on a snap swivel to a pyramid sinker...as someone posted before.

It's almost like a sabiki, he casts it far out thanks to the weight of the sinker and then slowly reels it in while "popping" or jigging the rod. Essentially he has 3 white crappie jigs bobbing up and down in the water column which mimics a school of tiny baitfish. Be sure you have a decent combo for this, as when the macs are thick he has had triple hookups which lead to some shenanigans, line twists, jig loss etc. I believe he uses 30lb mono for the rig to protect from teeth and anything else that may decide to eat your crappie jigs. Bluefish are quite fond of them.
    It's already been said, but gotcha's are a must-have for any pier fishing. Anything with a lead head or plenty of weight. Lures with a lip (x-raps come to mind) can be worked effectively from a pier as well.

This x2 I also like the white body/chart tail and Silver body/white+red tail gotchas.

A good 'ole fashioned crocodile spoon is very effective on the pier, get a nice big 'ole heavy one. Stand on the T and wing that thing as far as your rod will take it, macs, blues, jacks, triggers, ...even a snook will hit a well placed spoon.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback