Mosquito Lagoon weather help

pilot4life189pilot4life189 Posts: 40 Deckhand
I've recently started fishing the mosquito lagoon(on boat) and was wondering if you guys could help me out a little bit with some basic fishing weather knowledge.
some things i would like to know are..
what is ideal wind speed and what is the maximum wind speed you should fish with?
is it good or bad to fish after/before storms?
after cold fronts or other shifts in temperature?
and what is the perfect fishing day as far as weathter? the kind of day you'd be stupid not to fish on?
if i missed anything else as far as weather and fishing please mention it! i've pretty much just fished on random days as long as it isn't raining and would like to increase my knowledge in this area.
thanks for the help!!

Replies

• Chuck DChuck D Posts: 427 Officer
    Ideal wind is 0. Good is 1-5. Fishable is 6-10. Above 10 you'll be blind casting or soaking bait, which can still produce. After cold front is BAD. After a summer storm is great. Sunrise and sunset are great.
  • Camera guyCamera guy Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    After rain try to find a culvert. The reds tend to feed on the bait getting washed in.
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    High winds that last a few days can make the water skinnier in some spots.
    I prefer the glass calm mornings or the calm just after a thunder shower.

During the summer after about 9-10 in the morning find deeper water just off a flat and soak some live bait or use jigs.

When it is cold find the deepest water possible and use live shrimp. One of my favorite spots is the basin at the Eddy Creek boat launch. I have caught 40-60 trout (mostly undersized) in a morning and most of the time if it is cold (30's) you will have the place to yourself.

Like mentioned find a water discharge after a storm, the reds and trout are drawn to them.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • pilot4life189pilot4life189 Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Swamprat wrote: »
    High winds that last a few days can make the water skinnier in some spots.
    I prefer the glass calm mornings or the calm just after a thunder shower.

During the summer after about 9-10 in the morning find deeper water just off a flat and soak some live bait or use jigs.

When it is cold find the deepest water possible and use live shrimp. One of my favorite spots is the basin at the Eddy Creek boat launch. I have caught 40-60 trout (mostly undersized) in a morning and most of the time if it is cold (30's) you will have the place to yourself.

Like mentioned find a water discharge after a storm, the reds and trout are drawn to them.

alright, thanks for the help!
    by skinnier do you mean shallower?

do you have a favorite flats area? or atleast a good spot to start out in the mosquito lagoon?