Almaco or Amber jack?

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,318 Moderator
This crap always confuses me. Caught this guy in 275' off Dania yesterday. Not sure if small amberjack or regular sized almaco.

First pic was a still taken from short vid clip:
amberalmaco.jpg

Second pic taken with lawstick:
p33000521.jpg
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    last pic looks more like an amberjack to me
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Small AJ...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,318 Moderator
    I was thinking the same, the Almaco is supposed to have taller spines for the first part of the second dorsal fin.
    and I hate you SFL guys.... you are out in 275' in a kayak, and you can easily see buildings in the background
    Germ wrote: »
    and I hate you SFL guys.... you are out in 275' in a kayak, and you can easily see buildings in the background
    lol, sorry to tell you but yes that was only 2.75 miles paddle/pedal out.
    yea thats about 20' over here, guess its better than hernando/crystal river. 2 miles would would be 4 feet
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,466 Moderator
    Almaco. Look at the eye/jaw hinge
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Germ wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. Envy is a bear.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    Here is why I think the one above is an amberjack. For comparison, this is an Almaco I caught in the same waters 2 yrs ago:

imgp01122.jpg

Much more pronounced in the first few spines of the secondary dorsal.
    & you'd be right... That IS an Almaco Jack (& the 1st fish is a small GREATER AMBERJACK)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    or it could be a...
    (wait for it... wait for it...)

WARSAW ;)
    or it could be a...
    (wait for it... wait for it...)

WARSAW ;)

I was waiting for someone to say that:rotflmao
  • dt-fishingdt-fishing Posts: 157 Officer
    100% amberjack