Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,184 Admiral
    Chances are that a boat like that is going to be full of stupid.

Hey D
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,238 Moderator
    Wow. Sad.

42' is not exactly a small craft. He must have been really cookin' and must have really launched that thing for it to basically explode. I'm guessing wide open in slick water and some kind of massive boat wake. Also guessing a little bit of drinking was involved. Sure feel bad for their loss, but you talk about preventable... whew.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 552 Officer
    Some posts starting to appear at PFF Off Topic. Guy driving was jumping wakes at high speed.
    D
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Everybody makes bad decisions from time to time, unfortunately some folks bad decisions kill people.

Prayers for the survivors and for the deads family.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 624 Officer
    Red Fish wrote: »
    Everybody makes bad decisions from time to time, unfortunately some folks bad decisions kill people.

That was very well put.
    That was very well put.

• LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,206 Officer
    Just horrible........especially on Easter weekend.

Livin' the Dream !
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 801 Officer
    Red Fish wrote: »

First off prayers to all that were on the boat and for their family. One thing to remember about boating is on a boat going slow you get in trouble slow and can recover from your mistakes. On a boat going fast you get in trouble fast it's much harder to recover from your mistakes. With that being said i have made a few bad mistakes (nearly sinking a boat 30miles offshore and dipping the bow on one at over 40mph.) in my 25 + years of offshore fishing. btw i will not go into details on either. Does that make me a bad captain i don't think so just lucky the outcome was good and yes do it long enough and the odds go against you. One thing to remember: slow boat easy to recover from a mistake on the other side fast boat much harder to recover.
    Sting
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    One of the first things I learned after buying a boat is that a lot of azzho*** own boats. The only thing you have to have to buy a boat is credit and the credit doesn't have to be good. I do feel bad for the people that passed and their families, but they, he/she made a decision to get own that boat. Wasn't the best decision they ever made.

tk
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Here is some more information. This article has more detail. Note it was now a 39 ft boat.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130401/NEWS01/304010004/Civilian-boaters-came-to-rescue-after-fatal-high-speed-accident
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 801 Officer
    tk's joy wrote: »
    One of the first things I learned after buying a boat is that a lot of azzho*** own boats.

tk

I am not sure where you are fishing but we fish the east coast and gulf and most boater's we meet are good people. If you are talking about boats at the dock,marinas or near shore acting or doing stupid things i don't think of them as ****'s they just don't know any better. btw if you don't like boats it is a lonely place 40 miles offshore in the gulf. :wink

tk's joy wrote: »
    he/she made a decision to get own that boat. Wasn't the best decision they ever made.

tk
    I know a few that have lost their life in boating accidents, i would not say they made a bad decision to own a boat as they enjoyed their days on the water. I would say their life end to soon. just sayin

Sting
  • tan mantan man Posts: 89 Deckhand
    It's always sad to hear about loss of life - especially something that could have been prevented. Although there are people from all walks of life that own boats the learning curve for someone not used to being on the water can be steep. You can also go buy a boat without any experience in marine navigation, proper safety procedures, or "rules of the road" and drop it in the water the same day...
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 552 Officer
    More this morning. Lucky that some of the first responders were EMT trained.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130402/NEWS01/304020011/Divers-examine-sunken-wreckage
    I don't know much about go fast boats so I had to conduct a few quick internet searches. It looks like most any Velocity 390 regardless of rigging configuration will run in the low 80s to right at 90; I'm guessing MPH. Also found a video discussing one of the newest versions (at the time... don't know what year this was) that says it'll hit the 100 mark.

Thinking my initial post was pretty close to what happened.

Read the most recent post and it was real sad to see that the boat was pretty much full of family members. Prayers to all involved.