First Time fishing Pine Island area

Eddyc01Eddyc01 Posts: 34 Greenhorn
We went down to Florida between the week of March 17-24.
We rented a 21' center console for the day and fished the north and northwest end of Pine Island. The day started out bad as the winds were 20+ mph. Not knowing the area didn't make matters any better. Initially we wanted to motor up to the Boca Pass area but it was a bit roughso we decided to stay close to the Pine Island area.
Didn't get anything all morning. But the winds managed to die down around mid-day.
We got to another area on the west side of the island where we were finally catching some fish. We managed to catch a few Sea Trout, Ladyfish and Whiting.
It was a fun day fishing a new area despite the winds in the morning.
I think I'm hooked on Florida saltwater fishing!!

p.s. this is my first posting here on the forum. :)

Replies

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,955 Captain
    Welcome to the forum, im sorry to hear the wind was crazy that seems to be the case a lot of times, just catching fish in general and being on the water is what i love to do
  • Eddyc01Eddyc01 Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    I'm from a land where there isn't any saltwater and that particular trip was maybe the third time for me fishing saltwater. That being said I'm not too familiar with the techniques and lures/baits that should be used to catch fish.

Earlier in the week I was fishing the public pier at Fort Myers beach and was using shrimp and cut pieces of squid. We were catching Sheepshead, Sugar Trout, Spotted Sea Trout, Whiting, Spanish Mackeral and Bonnethead Shark there.

Fishing around Pine Island we tried shrimp with no success. I tried Berkley Gulp Shrimp (Copper colour) and a Bass Assassin swim shad on a jighead with no success.
    Finally I tied on a Bomber long A (sweet grape colour). That's what I caught all the fish on. It wasn't a lot that I caught that day but it was something. Nice lure that I found at Wal-Mart for $2.48!!
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,564 Captain
    This year has been tough. The wind and water temps have screwed up a lot. Last year this time the water temp was about 10 or so degrees warmer. I love fishing that area.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,875 Captain
    This year has been tough. The wind and water temps have screwed up a lot. Last year this time the water temp was about 10 or so degrees warmer. I love fishing that area.

This