Cobia federal vs state bag limits

So I noticed that you can keep 2 cobes per person if you're in federal waters instead of the single you're allowed to keep in state. My question is how do ya prove it? I mean, I know I can with my gps track, but still, seems kinda stupid really.

Replies

• ACME Ventures FishingACME Ventures Fishing Posts: 851 Officer
    Just make sure that once you have over the state limits in possesion, and you re-enter state waters, No stopping and stowed gear until
    you land the fish. Though you would be in a "Over Possesion" situation, you are In Transit only, unless you stop on the way in to fish, even
    for something else. From how its been explained to me, it becomes a 'Burden of Proof' on the LEO, but again to be safe, leave the GPS
    running and now stopping until you boat the fish.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,881 Admin
    And you cant keep red snapper in federal waters because they are endangered. Just goes to show you how ridiculous the fishing regs have gotten.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor

• catchme1catchme1 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    And you cant keep red snapper in federal waters because they are endangered. Just goes to show you how ridiculous the fishing regs have gotten.

yea dw last summer I saw guys come to the bluepoints with 20lb snappers that they claim they caught in state waters. If your going to cheat well what can I say but I think most sportsmen are doing the right thing. I don't know fwc does it but every once in a while you hear about that guy they bust in the middle of the night.
  • captrandycaptrandy Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Saw a FWC fguy carrying 2 tiny ARS thru the parking lot at Grills on Saturday. I guess someone thought they were red porgie???
    Bad Fish Must Die!!
  • smithbama1221smithbama1221 Posts: 271 Officer
    Gonna be some expensive porgies for sure. The FWC were out in force yesterday....I'm glad. Keeps people honest.
    Tight lines y'all.......just rolling with the Tide!
  • cdogcdog Posts: 33 Deckhand
    just to clarify, The 6 cobia per boat law does not include federal waters, correct?