Divers bouy line

2»

Replies

• JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »

Dive flag....pretty good idea to let people know that there is a diver in the water....

:signs
  • mako221mako221 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    All I was saying is the guy may not have been doing anything wrong! Most of you guys can't tell me you don't go 5 miles over the speed limit sometimes, same penalty civil infraction. Ill also challenge any of you to drag a dive flag with you in 80ft of water on Pelican Flats especially on a day when you have 2 or 3 mile an hour current your flag probably won't even stay on the surface. Like I said before worry about yourself and what you are doing and you will catch more fish probably have a better day leave poachers and non dive flag bearing individuals to the proper law enforcement agencies.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,192 AG
    You are missing the point...as obvious as it is.... He *IS* doing something wrong...no MAYBE about it...plain and simple.

Stupid *AND* Illegal!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • deepdestroyerdeepdestroyer Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Ive speared all sorts of stuff on the buoys. Sheepshead, spades, cobia, tripple tail, even flounder, and the occasional legal mango. I freedive though, and use a flag on the boat, I dont carry one on my person while diving because it tangles easily with buoys especially while fighting fish...I know more than one person who has been entangled and drowned (though not out of canaveral).

I dont see why there should be a problem with spearfisherman taking tripple tail off the buoys any way. Why should you be able to hook and line them, but me not spear them? For all you that hope for spearing to be illegal everywhere, or even just in certain places that you like to fish, you are only fueling the beast that will one day take fishing from us all. Stop being selfish, and start standing up for spoortsmans rights as a whole. If we cant unite now, and stand up for the very thing we love to do, there will one day be nothing left to fight for...
  • Weed LineWeed Line Posts: 177 Officer
    Spearfishing is totally different than hook and line. Now this is just my opinion and some may say i am no good at fishing but you can't make a fish bite, but you sure can shoot them. Its just so much easier to target your species, thats Just my opinion from knowing many divers, rarely Do they ever come back without limits. You have admitted to breaking the law if you shoot triple tail along the buoys, so good one there. If that's true your righteous talk about coming together is pointless, since you obviously don't care about others at all, just yourself. When the ocean is too rough I don't go out in my boat, so if it's too dangerous to pull a dive flag around a floating piece of structure then don't do it, don't go breaking the law and then ask others to join you're fight.
  • HotpursuitHotpursuit Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Weed Line wrote: »
    Spearfishing is totally different than hook and line. Now this is just my opinion and some may say i am no good at fishing but you can't make a fish bite, but you sure can shoot them. Its just so much easier to target your species, thats Just my opinion from knowing many divers, rarely Do they ever come back without limits. You have admitted to breaking the law if you shoot triple tail along the buoys, so good one there. If that's true your righteous talk about coming together is pointless, since you obviously don't care about others at all, just yourself. When the ocean is too rough I don't go out in my boat, so if it's too dangerous to pull a dive flag around a floating piece of structure then don't do it, don't go breaking the law and then ask others to join you're fight.
    I think you missed the point of deepdestroyers post all together. But before you go barking at people you should probably know the rules yourself. It is LEGAL to shoot triple tail outside of three miles whether your on a buoy or not. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are many buoys outside of the three mile mark. The only truly valid point in this entire thread is that divers should be using flags when diving whether it be in the middle of the ocean or on a buoy. Guess what, he stated clearly he dives with a flag up on the boat. Again LEGAL!!! The OP also never stated the diver was inside the three mile mark, so again, don't go accuse someone of shooting illegal fish unless its a well thought out valid complaint. I'm sure others will agree, half the reason i don't post on this site if cause of threads like this.

So many points that I need to address here it isnt even funny...You are either foreign and dont yet fully grasp the english language, are a tween and joined just to be a ******, or are just plain uncapable of understanding the reality that is recreational fishing, and what is happening to it (I'm, guessing the latter).

First off, I didn't admit to breaking any laws, and I know them all quite well...If your going to fish in our waters I suggest you read up on them as well.

Second, my "righteous talk" has a very valid point. That point is, that if you and others keep being little b!tches that complain and try to have the rights of other sportsman taken away, it will one day come back to bite you or your kids when there is no more recreational fishing allowed in our waters. You see, the green peace, PETA hippies are well organized, and well funded. Politicians like both of those things. Right now, us sportsman are squabling about weather or not its legal to spear a tripple tail off a bouy. All the while the hippies are planning their next assault on our rights.

Also, Im not quite sure how you came to the conclusion that I am a self centered, greedy, hipocrite (obviously my rewording of your statements) from my post above, but if thats what you got from it, you cold probably use a couple zanex, and maybe some communications classes.

Lastly, Its perfectly legal to spear tripple tail on some bouy's out of the port, and to dive without carrying a dive flag on your person. Thats why other boaters must stay at minimum wake while approaching a boat with a dive flag flying. Lots of people dont seem to grasp the concept of slowing down around divers.

Hotpursuit wrote: »
    I think you missed the point of deepdestroyers post all together. But before you go barking at people you should probably know the rules yourself. It is LEGAL to shoot triple tail outside of three miles whether your on a buoy or not. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are many buoys outside of the three mile mark. The only truly valid point in this entire thread is that divers should be using flags when diving whether it be in the middle of the ocean or on a buoy. Guess what, he stated clearly he dives with a flag up on the boat. Again LEGAL!!! The OP also never stated the diver was inside the three mile mark, so again, don't go accuse someone of shooting illegal fish unless its a well thought out valid complaint. I'm sure others will agree, half the reason i don't post on this site if cause of threads like this.

THANK YOU, and I do agree....that is all!
    Hotpursuit wrote: »

Sorry if I offended anyone with my post. I will start by saying I agree with all facts you har stated and already was aware of them. The post was in reference to the buoy line so whatever other buoy you fish on outside of three miles I couldn't care any less. As a predominant fisherman with hook and line I get a little fired up when I hear about this bc I have seen the easy poaching I'm this manner before. You're right about the above posters flag, that's why I didn't accuse him of anything wrong there did I? And when we talk about the buoy line and you say you shoot tt off the buoys I assume your on the buoy line not the other outlying buoys. There may be a couple buoys at the end of the line that may qualify as federal waters but any shooting of tt on the buoys inside is illegal. I agree with all of your points, just they don't coincide with the buoy line. And yes this is all speculation but I've been fishing the port for a long time and I'm not ignorant to the poaching practices that occur. Not accusing anyone specific of poaching either. This scenario just smells fishy. Thank you for calling me names as well, I respect you more, that is a reason I seldom post. Instead of having a debate without the names just can't seem to be done.
    Sorry if I offended anyone with my post. I will start by saying I agree with all facts you har stated and already was aware of them. The post was in reference to the buoy line so whatever other buoy you fish on outside of three miles I couldn't care any less.

As stated above there are bouys on the "bouy line" that are in federal waters.
    You're right about the above posters flag, that's why I didn't accuse him of anything wrong there did I?

Yes actually you did...
    When the ocean is too rough I don't go out in my boat, so if it's too dangerous to pull a dive flag around a floating piece of structure then don't do it, don't go breaking the law and then ask others to join you're fight.

And when we talk about the buoy line and you say you shoot tt off the buoys I assume your on the buoy line not the other outlying buoys. There may be a couple buoys at the end of the line that may qualify as federal waters but any shooting of tt on the buoys inside is illegal.

I thought we went over this already?
    I agree with all of your points, just they don't coincide with the buoy line.
    Im sensing a pattern here..

Thank you for calling me names as well, I respect you more, that is a reason I seldom post. Instead of having a debate without the names just can't seem to be done.

Easy there guy, Im pretty sure you implied I was a selfish hypocrite....Whats the difference between implying it and saying it?
    Now your just piling on and reiterating you distaste for me right now. I never said you did anything wrong, especially not in reference to a flag, he law I referenced was to shooting tt inside 3 miles(only 20% of buoys on the line are in fed waters) I'm an idiot for goin with the 80%, we both assumed to much in this debate. I also don't appreciate the misquoted you used, you took my law comment out of context or I just wasn't clear enough. I can't believe a tread about dropping divers along the buoy line turns to this. I won't comment on anything else posted by you sir. I can sense the fingers ready at the keyboard. And yes what you did was different. Youre just as childish as me once you do what I do. Good luck to all you out on the water.
    For the record, I dont have a distaste for you, I have a distaste for people who dont understand that fishing is slowly being taken from us all. Instead of singling out one small group for your temporary benifit, realize that banding together will only help everyone in the long run. Its like a tuna school slowly but surely dismantling a ball of sardines. Once a sardine has been pushed out of the ball, it has only seconds to live. The process continues untill there are none left. We are the sardines, and we are being slowly picked apart.

If you dont believe me, reference the mlpa's in california, and right here at home the American red snapper, and grouper closures. I believe there are even more inshore closures coming in the IRL?.?.

Sorry if I got snarky, but this subject touches a nerve...the intent of my original message was the same as this one, and it bothers me to see fellow fisherman worrying so much about something so petty as to weather or not a spearfisherman was or was not doing something illegal just for being in the water on the bouy line. If they put the same effort into fighting off the tree huggers we may not be in this predicament.
    For the record, I dont have a distaste for you, I have a distaste for people who dont understand that fishing is slowly being taken from us all. Instead of singling out one small group for your temporary benifit, realize that banding together will only help everyone in the long run. Its like a tuna school slowly but surely dismantling a ball of sardines. Once a sardine has been pushed out of the ball, it has only seconds to live. The process continues untill there are none left. We are the sardines, and we are being slowly picked apart.

If you dont believe me, reference the mlpa's in california, and right here at home the American red snapper, and grouper closures. I believe there are even more inshore closures coming in the IRL?.?.

Sorry if I got snarky, but this subject touches a nerve...the intent of my original message was the same as this one, and it bothers me to see fellow fisherman worrying so much about something so petty as to weather or not a spearfisherman was or was not doing something illegal just for being in the water on the bouy line. If they put the same effort into fighting off the tree huggers we may not be in this predicament.

I agree with every point you made. Seems we both touched each others nerves. I came off uneducated to you, however we seem to agree on so much. The fact that ppl do push limits of the law and that some do not follow guidelines touches my nerve bc I too see fishig beig taken from everyone. So I feel these types of shady practices, not spearfishing as a whole, just the one in this thread, can be used to fuel the fire that us as fisherman don't care about what were doing.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,582 Captain
    Interesting how these "So called" sportfishermen have names like "SportDICK", "DeepDESTROYER", "BUTCHER" and some of the well known commercial dive boats have the names "Bottom Dollar", "Point Blank" (power heads in your eyeball) "Relentless" etc. etc. the list is long. All about $$$$$$$$$. Sheephead and spadefish don't bring enough jingles. So don't feed us that BS either.

Also your SO CALLED sportfishermen are anything but sportsmen when they come up on a buoy and drop a diver down and shoot fish out from under other fishermen who were there first. EVEN IF IT IS OUTSIDE THREE MILES.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,582 Captain
    Oh sorry... as far as titles go, I may be a Saltybum but never a Saltypoacher.:wink
    saltybum wrote: »
    Interesting how these "So called" sportfishermen have names like "SportDICK", "DeepDESTROYER", "BUTCHER" and some of the well known commercial dive boats have the names "Bottom Dollar", "Point Blank" (power heads in your eyeball) "Relentless" etc. etc. the list is long. All about $$$$$$$$$. Sheephead and spadefish don't bring enough jingles. So don't feed us that BS either.

Also your SO CALLED sportfishermen are anything but sportsmen when they come up on a buoy and drop a diver down and shoot fish out from under other fishermen who were there first. EVEN IF IT IS OUTSIDE THREE MILES.

Some how, I think you missed my drift. Let me ask you this. In a very black and white context, would you rather swallow your pride, and team up with the "so called" sportsman you despise so much to hopefully maintain our rights as sportsman, or relinquish your rights as a sportsman to the peta freaks? There's a lesser of two evils here...Perhaps you can figure out which one it is.

Also, I don't know if your dislike is channeled at me, or just random things you have observed, but I have never dropped down on a buoy that had another boat on it...I wait my turn and go hit it after they leave. Heck, I don't even dive the buoys but two or three times a year.

Lastly, do you know any commercial divers? Do you know any commercial divers that pass up sheepshead because they "dont bring enough jingles"? Didn't think so.... They may not be a targeted species, but surely are not overlooked species. Especially with all the closures. BTW, I'm not a commercial diver or fisherman, and don't need or want to sell my catch. I do the sport because I enjoy it, end of story!
  • JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    Some how, I think you missed my drift. Let me ask you this. In a very black and white context, would you rather swallow your pride, and team up with the "so called" sportsman you despise so much to hopefully maintain our rights as sportsman, or relinquish your rights as a sportsman to the peta freaks? There's a lesser of two evils here...Perhaps you can figure out which one it is.

Also, I don't know if your dislike is channeled at me, or just random things you have observed, but I have never dropped down on a buoy that had another boat on it...I wait my turn and go hit it after they leave. Heck, I don't even dive the buoys but two or three times a year.

Lets say you go down that bouy without a flag or boat present and I pull up and see no one there. I drop anchor on top of your head not knowing your down there.
  • sportdicksportdick Posts: 50 Deckhand
    saltybum wrote: »

I make one post about how you don't know everything and now it's a conspiracy theory? You might not be a saltypoacher but you're for sure a salty idiot. Maybe if you had half as many days fishing as you do posts on here you wouldn't be such a whiner. :wink
    So, I am supposed to have swam there?
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    This is still going? I'm in! :kick

There are very valid points here. Our rights to fish the waters we own and pay for are quickly becoming eradicated to extreme points. When American Red Snapper opens again for the few short days it will at some point again, caution will be thrown to the wind and those who can fish, will regardless of the weather and if its nasty, adding to a real possibility of overwhelming the Coast Guard for a few fish because that's the only time you can legally keep them. The weather was fine 200 miles away, so the dates weren't postponed. That is one side.
    The other side is there are those that say regulations be damned, I'm keeping what I kill now within my own reason.

Both of those arguments are stupid reckless ideas, yet I cannot fault either one of those people. This particular population is in good health we all know and growing substantially. Can I fault someone for keeping 2-4 fish and coming home to have a nice couple meals. That answer is no as this individual is showing they care about the fishery by not loading the boat, while the other is doing their best to obey the law but succumbing do a very dangerous weather situation to do so.

Who's Right?

There are many other issues as well, but that is a very valid scenario in the small scope of the snapper issue.

So overall, ya we all need to be united when fighting closure issues regardless of any poaching going on. The amount of poachers that exist are very tiny percentage compared to overall law abiding sportsmen and commercial fisherman combined. They may harm a spot or two for a given time period, but can no longer truly decimate a fishery as there are too many eyes watching them.

From diving buoys to the above....see how it all interconnects. Divide and conquer works and works well.
  • BrassyHookerBrassyHooker Posts: 292 Deckhand
    I Challenge anybody to mask up with a spear gun with a dive flag and legally try to shoot a TT on a buoy, it's not as easy as you think

Also these commercial divers you speak of are some if the hardest working people I know..

• bro schrobro schro Posts: 773 Officer
    Butcher wrote: »
    You probably wear your seat belt every time you get in your car, and never go 1 mph over the speed limit also. Some laws are meant to be broken.
    if u dont put your belt on every time u r pretty DUMB:huh
    Okay, BrassyHooker, what do I win if I get one?

Joking aside, most people I have taken to try it chicken out once they realize they can only see 2-4 feet, and it only gets worse the deeper you go.
  • ButcherButcher Posts: 118 Officer
    Ya especially when I'm going to 7-11 on the back roads going 20 mph. That's when things get really dangerous.