Divers bouy line

Saw a guy in a small boat dropping a diver off next to a bouy no flag and the boat left. Is that legal he could get torn to shreds if a power boat comes by and grinds him up. Legal or not its dumb. While going into port the fwc was flying out in a small flats boat wonder if he was reported?:huh

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,582 Captain
    Illegally shooting triple tail no doubt. I hope the FWC busted them. Common enough practice and everybody knows it but hard to get the FWC to respond sometimes. Hear that FWC? Eh! Actually shouldn't have to call they should be out there already.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    I'm sure a little stickin' around and videotaping will go a long ways to curb this practice.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,191 AG
    M-80's dropped in with the violator would be good too...:rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 447 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »

No chance they could have been shooting spadefish or sheephead huh,
    Duck, thats why we carry powerheads, to put holes in the bottom of boats that want to hurt divers.
    Dumb Fish Die First
    "No chance they could have been shooting spadefish or sheephead huh,"

Yeah, right! I have NOT heard of the first of either being seen or caught on the buoys. Think we're stupid?

I hate poachers. They are THIEVES!
  • JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    some people report this type of activity. Boat drops off diver, leaves, diver is not seen, maybe the boat is leaving to pick up another diver on another bouy? Thanx for posting it in here and not fwc!
  • Off Shore DudeOff Shore Dude Posts: 303 Deckhand
    If you suspect a wildlife or boating law violation, report it to the FWC's Wildlife Alert Reward Program: 888-404-FWCC (3922).
    They are NOT monitoring the marine band so you will need to use your cell phone if you see something illegal (I just called and asked them).

Here's the link for reporting Violations and related info - same as for Wildlife injuries & death.
    http://myfwc.com/contact/wildlife-alert/

You can receive a $1000 reward if the violator is arrested.

As Capt. Tyler suggested from another post. Put this in your cell phone contacts.
    888-404-FWCC (3922)

Edit: Regarding reporting illegal activity, please use discretion when using this number as Jethro mentioned.
    Orlando dispatch is 407-275-4150. May be quicker but nothing guaranteed.
    Poachers know it takes a while for LEO to respond to calls.
    Wish we could get a few local officers private numbers to expedite the process.
    Everybody these days has a phone with camera. Get photos with reg. numbers of the vessel too.
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 920 Officer
    Funny how crap like this goes on virtually undetected but they are going through every weekend angler's fish boxes at the ramp. What a great use of resources.
  • BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 447 Deckhand
    Not saying that they were't poaching but not everybody diving the bouys is breaking the law.
    I know several comercial divers that stop and shoot spades and sheeps on the bouys. They tell me how tempting it is to shoot trips but not worth the fine and loss of a license.
    Dumb Fish Die First
  • bigoldredfishbigoldredfish Posts: 485 Deckhand
    are you not breaking the law by not displaying the Diver down flag regardless of what you are shooting?
    Also rude by diving where guys are fishing and shooting fish out from under them. AND w/o a flag of course.
    I'm a lousy boat driver and sometimes my steering and throttle stick and I hit things, accidentally of course. :wink stay deep!
    are you not breaking the law by not displaying the Diver down flag regardless of what you are shooting?

:Agree
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • sportdicksportdick Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Saltybum,
    Just because you haven't heard of it or seen it doesn't make it fact. Obviously your poorly educated on the fact that there is more than triple tail on the buoys. You also don't know what set of buoys he is referring to. There's four buoys you can legally shoot tripletail on because they fall under federal regulations. Don't be so quick to throw stones or you might look like a tool NO DOUBT!
  • BrassyHookerBrassyHooker Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Spearing TT is legal on the buoys outside of 3 miles, FWC however is trying to get a law passed to make this not so.

And I have had a diver drop in under me when fishing with a charter captain and spear a TT right from under us. Of course no flag, no courtesy, ne respect just arrogance. Wish I had a 16oz jig to fire down there right then. The capt almost rammed their boat. First and only time I ever saw him get pissed, really pissed.
    Apparently much has not changed Sportdick. Yeah it is legal outside of three miles but we all know greed does not obey the law.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain

I'm all for it Duckman!!!!
  • mako221mako221 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Alot of people are assuming this person was breaking the law. I spearfish all the time and don't use a flag sorry but it gets in the way and Im not going to come up under a boat, there can be a variety of fish around those buoys, you shouldn't post things like this unless you are sure what the person was doing. I think lots of people are jealous of what other people are doing spend more time catching and finding fish you won't have to worry about the guy by the buoy.
  • Cuda23Cuda23 Posts: 43 Deckhand
    Spearing TT is legal on the buoys outside of 3 miles, FWC however is trying to get a law passed to make this not so.

Im sure they are. I also heard that they are trying to pass a law to not allow any recreational fisherman to keep anything ever. Just give them time.
    mako221 wrote: »
    Alot of people are assuming this person was breaking the law. I spearfish all the time and don't use a flag sorry but it gets in the way QUOTE]

Tell that to the man when he write you up for BREAKING the law. AND we are supposed to believe you obey the rest?:rotflmao
  • BMargioBMargio Posts: 96 Deckhand
    mako221 wrote: »
    Alot of people are assuming this person was breaking the law. I spearfish all the time and don't use a flag sorry but it gets in the way and Im not going to come up under a boat, there can be a variety of fish around those buoys, you shouldn't post things like this unless you are sure what the person was doing. I think lots of people are jealous of what other people are doing spend more time catching and finding fish you won't have to worry about the guy by the buoy.

How does a flag get in the way when you are in the water spear-fishing? You're just another person who thinks they are above the law. Because of this we have more laws to attempt to keep people like you from breaking them
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 612 Officer
    BMargio wrote: »
    Because of this we have more laws to attempt to keep people like you from breaking them

How does more laws prevent someone from breaking laws that they are already breaking.
    How does more laws prevent someone from breaking laws that they are already breaking.

They don't, never said they did in my post either, which is why I chose to use the word "attempt". However, from my observations on how our government works this is the course of action they take. Is this not true?
  • ButcherButcher Posts: 118 Officer
    How does a flag get in the way when you are in the water spear-fishing? You're just another person who thinks they are above the law. Because of this we have more laws to attempt to keep people like you from breaking them

Obviously you have never spearfished pulling a flag. It is probably the most annoying thing to carry when you are hunting fish anywhere. I've never dove the bouys but I could only imagine dragging a flag around those things. Wouldn't work.
    You're right I haven't. However if it is "too annoying" to follow the law then maybe you shouldn't do it. Geez I could go on for days about how I don't want to follow certain laws because they're "annoying". To be quite honest that has to be the dumbest reason I have ever heard to break a law.
    To be quite honest that has to be the dumbest reason I have ever heard to break a law.

I guess you've never worked in law enforcement......they have dumber ones than that.....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I guess you've never worked in law enforcement......they have dumber ones than that.....

I don't doubt that either, this world is full of idiots....and they wonder why we still have the electoral college.
  • ButcherButcher Posts: 118 Officer
    You're right I haven't. However if it is "too annoying" to follow the law then maybe you shouldn't do it. Geez I could go on for days about how I don't want to follow certain laws because they're "annoying". To be quite honest that has to be the dumbest reason I have ever heard to break a law.

You probably wear your seat belt every time you get in your car, and never go 1 mph over the speed limit also. Some laws are meant to be broken.
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Butcher wrote: »
    You probably wear your seat belt every time you get in your car, and never go 1 mph over the speed limit also. Some laws are meant to be broken.

Seat belt YES. Over the speed limit, not intentionally, but it does happen. It still doesn't make those laws meant to be broken. Generally I'm that guy that is going 60-65 in a 70mph area. Ya I know ya'll hate me now, BUT I gain 2mpg by going slower from 16mpg to 18mpg which is over a 10% gain in efficiency. I'll go slow and take my greater efficiency even if I get there 2min later.
    seanfish wrote: »
    Seat belt YES. Over the speed limit, not intentionally, but it does happen. It still doesn't make those laws meant to be broken. Generally I'm that guy that is going 60-65 in a 70mph area. Ya I know ya'll hate me now, BUT I gain 2mpg by going slower from 16mpg to 18mpg which is over a 10% gain in efficiency. I'll go slow and take my greater efficiency even if I get there 2min later.

Your post proves that you're smarter than some....

Some interesting facts... Seat belts keep you INSIDE an automobile where you are over 100 times more likely to survive than someone who's ejected.

People who speed...pay more for insurance since John law will write you a piece of paper that your insurance company will rate you on....

Speed (excessive) is the highest factor in determining severe accidents.

Dive flag....pretty good idea to let people know that there is a diver in the water....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled