Local custom rod builders

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a couple new inshore rods. I have always used star rods and I love them for the most part, but was wondering if there were any local guys who build rods that I could support. Can't spend loomis money but would always like to support a local business if possible. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Edit:I don't really need a "custom" rod built for me but would still like to buy local

Replies

• lt20lt20 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    just ordered six new rods from Boomerang Tackle in Lake worth. Nice guys and they build the rods themselves.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Crowder Rods built right here in Stuart. their rods come with a decent warranty and if they break its easy as dropping them off at the shop. They are high quality and i own 12 of them from light inshore to heavy offshore. Check out their website at www.crowderrods.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    Connley Rods are here in West Palm Beach. We love every one we own.
    http://connleyfishing.com/
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    I had four 50 lb class and four 20 lb class rods built by X-Generation in Lantana and they did a real nice job. They also built me two custom gaffs to match the rods.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • NiceSpreadNiceSpread Posts: 109 Deckhand
    connley - call bryan up and after seeing his stuff. It will be a no brainer.
  • Angler ManagemntAngler Managemnt Posts: 1,072 Officer
    Connley is the best around. Great guy. Even better product. Lifetime warranty also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.anglermanagementfishing.com
    Check out our Charter Fishing Videos: Click Here

Click Here for the 2017 Annual Seminar Details
  • big_tbig_t Posts: 588 Officer
    im on the connley band wagon as well.
  • austinmay98austinmay98 Posts: 50 Deckhand
    crowder rods, i have 8 and love them all never broke either
  • whitegatorwhitegator Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Connley!! The only way to go!
  • onICEonICE Posts: 987 Officer
    Thanks guys! Will check out Conley this week.
  • In DeepIn Deep Posts: 43 Deckhand
    Just ordered another 4 X-Generation rods and a gaff to match. Defiantly talk to Andy and check his work out, he offers lifetime warranty with all his rods.
  • jetpilotjetpilot Posts: 419 Officer
    Another vote for Connley! Call Brian @ Connley rods they built me 18 rods. We had an issue with peeling flexcoat because of the thread I chose to use. Non-NCP with color preserver. No one uses this thread but I wanted to. It's the old school way. But he took the 6 rods back and re-wrapped them without question. Harold and Brian make a great team. There is always the added bonus of being able to shake hands and deal face to face with the people building your rods. That's rare these days. His prices are more than fair.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    rowerybo wrote: »
    Connley Rods are here in West Palm Beach. We love every one we own.
    http://connleyfishing.com/

i'm with all the guys.. Brian is a stand up guy. He just put an Aftco Swivel guide on the end of my deep drop rod. I have bought several rods from him..

He is a pleasure to deal with and I know for a fact that he replaces rods even when the damage wasn't "your" fault :wink:wink

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • bobert421bobert421 Posts: 397 Deckhand
    The only custom rod I have had built was by Connely Rods. I don't think I will buy an off the shelf rod now.
    New Facebook page, REPORT PICTURES HERE----> ChumBucket Fishing

276076f7-540f-451a-8de4-ba7229b19a11_zps746ac5e0.jpg
  • StreamlinerStreamliner Posts: 57 Deckhand
    I just bought 4 rods and matched Avet reels from Brian Connely. His is great to deal with had has been doing this a long time.
  • Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,192 Officer
    FYI, the "Boomerang" name may not be well known, but they're the original owners/builders of CHAOS rods.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Uncle Buck wrote: »
    FYI, the "Boomerang" name may not be well known, but they're the original owners/builders of CHAOS rods.

Bill,

This is true however Connley Rods also used to be the original owners/builders of Chaos Rods.

Bob Browning (Boomerang Rods) is the dad

Brian Connley (Connley Rods) is the son.

Both good guys!

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Brian is good peeps.

That said, I run Crowder rods, had bad luck back in the Chaos days with rods breaking easily. No issues with the Crowders.
    Member #10822
  • Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,192 Officer
    I suspected there was a Connley/Chaos/Boomerang connection, but wasn't 100% sure. On the other hand, I did some design work for Boomerang when Bob was launching the new brand... so I was sure about that. I used to work for the ad agency that finalized the logo and developed the original Boomerang website.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...
  • wpbdiverwpbdiver Posts: 61 Deckhand
    I will second Boomerang rods! I own a bunch of them, and many more from when it was a different company, which will remain nameless. They're local and there's nothing like being able to stop by the shop (if you're local) to talk to them while they're building rods.
    Not a retail shop, but a manufacturer of great rods.

No matter your choice of local rod builders, good for you to shop local. It may be a bit more expensive, but you are supporting a local small business.
  • snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    So what did you end up getting?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • onICEonICE Posts: 987 Officer
    snook87 wrote: »
    So what did you end up getting?

Well nothing yet... Got distracted by a couple of nice rods on the classifieds section but haven't bought one yet... I'm gonna ask my wife to order me one for my birthday coming in a couple weeks and show her this thread :)