3-30-13 Jupiter: popped a cherry

First trip out of Jupiter this year. It was Paul and I, with Paul's father in law Kevin and Kevin's friend Bob. Plan was to get them on something, anything... Broke the inlet at 7:15 to 3-5s.

HST for an hr with no knockdowns. Bottom fished and Bob pulled up a grunt as the first fish of the day. As I figure out a small tangle on board, I spot a mahi swim right behind the boat. MAHI!! - I shout. Toss some squid and pilchard chunks hoping to keep it near the boat. Reel the flat line in that's already out there and toss the live pilchard right in front of where I thought it should be. Wait a couple of minutes, and nothing... I know its still out there somewhere, so open the thunnus drag and let er sit. Few minutes later and zzzzzzz, "Kevin, pick up the rod and just reel." 5 minutes later and I net Kevin's first gaffer ever. Great moment of the day. Gotta get a picture of his first, but this fish swallowed the hook and was still very green, so we bloodied up the deck a little...

I landed a nice mutton right after in 85ft SE of inlet; ate a live big shrimp. Couple of more cut offs, grunts and slippery di3ks and we decide to troll some ballyhoo around the kingfish fleet. Zig zagged in and out of fleet between 90ft to 170ft with no knockdowns.

Ended the day exploring some nice weed mats directly east of inlet in 80-100ft. No big fish, and only one mat had some small live baits. Lots and lots of birds today. Didn't try for live bait, I drove car to sandsprit to buy some from bait guy, then met Paul at my house and hitched ride to Jupiter.

Not the best day ever, but Kevin landed his first mahi and I was happy to be on the water on the Gamefish 25.

Heard Rondo and Plane Fish N chatting and tried to get you guys on the VHF, but we may not have transmitted through. Hope you guys caught them up.

So we found out last week we are having a boy, I think he's done quite well for not being born yet ;)

Happy Easter from Lyla and her BFF, Autumn:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public

Replies

• LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Nice day, and what are you doing holding my Mutton? LOL... Great news on the boy, now stop at two, or you'll have another girl, and that means wedding$$$$$$$$$$...... LOL
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • Slopps08Slopps08 Posts: 1,038 Officer
    Congrats on the fish and having a boy!

Tight lines to everybody!
  • onICEonICE Posts: 987 Officer
    Congrats on the boy and a great day on the water!
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    LastMango wrote: »
    Nice day, and what are you doing holding my Mutton? LOL... Great news on the boy, now stop at two, or you'll have another girl, and that means wedding$$$$$$$$$$...... LOL

Nuns don't get married...

Thanks guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• snook87snook87 Posts: 1,707 Captain
    congrats and nice catches!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    congrats Long on helping your friend and new baby boy on way
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,529 Admin
    Nice work on the mahi and the boy, Long! Congrats!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • roweryborowerybo Posts: 2,091 Officer
    Congrats on the catches and way to bloody up that new Sea Hunt deck. Now it will be a fishing machine.
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 509 Officer
    Congrats on your fishing and life success.
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 509 Officer
    P.S. Great shot of the lighthouse and leaving Jupiter inlet. Well done
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Congrats!
  • Dominic74Dominic74 Posts: 729 Officer
    Nice job on the mahi! Also congrats on the boy, I have three girls and a two month yr old boy, now I am done!
    PS - nice Sea Hunt! , I have a 24ft
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RondoRondo Posts: 762 Officer
    You didn't miss anything out of SLI. I was on a buddy's 38 sea ray. We didn't get out till 9AM so we forego live bait and ran out to 120 to start a troll. As we were setting out the pattern, one guy was letting out a naked bally and Wham! phin hits and birdnests the reel. I had him hand line the fish until I got the nest cleared and we put a 6 pounder in the box. Thought it was going to be a good day,ha! We trolled out to 350 with no birds,no weeds, nada so we headed back to 220 and I spotted a whole fleet of boats just to the north. Headed the way and found the weed line but it was like one of the 2 mile freight trains you see in Port Salanero, boat space, boat space,boat space,,, So many boats that if there were fish around they would have been ground up by the props! Headed back south on the west side of the weeds, saw a nice turtle with a mahi under it but he/she wasn't interested, so we called it a day. Just to much traffic out there, but after the blow for the last week I can understand why everyone was out. This week should be better
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    Nice catch Long, congrats on your baby boy !!
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
    Thanks guys. Jupiter was also very busy but seemed like everyone was working together to share the ocean.

Rondo, nice job on dinner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Nice job Long, and congrats on your future little mate on the way.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • fishingbuddiesfishingbuddies Posts: 636 Officer
    Wow way to go thanks for the report and keep them coming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “When you have to choose between two evils you still choose evil” Jerry Garcia
  • AlwaysforwardAlwaysforward Posts: 1,512 Captain
    Congrats on the bloody deck and putting them on the bite. :beer Thanks for the report :applause
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Truckdecal-signature.jpg
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Long,

Congrats on the little guy.. I agree that ERIC will be a very fitting name BTW.. :grin:grin

Great report.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,019 Captain
    Kudos to you guys getting out! I naturally had to leave town for the Easter weekend and was envious of those who were going out as I finally removed and replaced my bad fuel sender, nothing quite like running out of gas and not knowing it as the gauge read over a quarter tank. Love the pics and big congrats to you and your family! A happy and blessed Easter to you all!
  • ChumChum Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Great news on the baby boy. Waiting on some good weather up here in Sebastian so I can take out your old boat again.
    Thanks everyone.

Vic (Chum), glad you joined the forum buddy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Congrat Long. Add one more to the Nguyen Dynasty. LOL. I got two for the Phan Dynasty.
    Thanks bud.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• bullchaserbullchaser Posts: 931 Officer
    Nuns don't get married...

Thanks guys.
    Perfect! LOL Congrats buddy. Future fishing partner
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]