Lobster, Corn, and Potato Chowder

I'll post the full recipe tomorrow, still correcting and adjusting it... I think I finally have it dialed in...
attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702

Replies

• LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Lobster and Corn Chowder

Ingredients
    • 3 (1 1/2-pound) cooked lobsters, cracked and split
    • 3-4 ears corn
    For the stock:
    • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
    • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
    • 1/4 cup sherry
    • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
    • 4 cups whole milk
    • 2 cups heavy cream
    • 1 cup dry white wine
    For the soup:
    • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
    • 1/4 pound bacon, large-diced
    • 2 cups large-diced unpeeled gold or red potatoes
    • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
    • 2 cups diced celery
    • 1 tablespoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
    • 1/4 cup sherry
    • ¼ to ½ stick of butter, depending upon your current cholesterol levels <smiling> - If you’ve been going to the gym, well, you know… If you haven’t, well, get there, the butter really makes this dish rock…
    Directions
    In a large stock pot, add butter and olive oil and sauté lobster enough to be able to remove the meat. Remove the meat and dice into bit size pieces and place them in a covered bowl. Save the shells of the lobster for the next steps and all the juices that collect. Cut the corn kernels from the cobs and set aside, reserving the cobs separately. We usually leave the kernels on one ear and cut it into small chunks for presentation.
    For the stock, over a medium heat, melt some butter in a stockpot large enough to hold all the lobster shells and corncobs. Add lobster shells their juices, and corn cobs and bring to a simmer and stir for 2-3 min. Add the onion and cook until translucent but not browned, stirring occasionally. Add sherry and paprika and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk, cream, wine. Partially cover the pot and simmer the stock over the lowest heat for 30 minutes.
    For the Soup, in another stockpot heat the oil and cook the bacon for 4 to 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until browned and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add some butter, the potatoes, onions, celery, corn kernels, salt, and pepper to the same pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
    Combining the ingredients - When the stock is ready, remove the lobster shells and the corn cobs and discard. Carefully pour the stock into the pot with the potatoes and corn (usually a larger / deeper pot). Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Then add the cooked lobster, the chives and sherry and salt to taste. Simmer for 3-5 being careful to not overcook the already cooked lobster.
    Finished product...
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    Dang Dave that looks awesome...
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • sea-chasersea-chaser Posts: 377 Deckhand
    Wow! :hail Recipe captured and filed for future use, like next weekend!
    ARRL KB6CX

Joined FS forum 10/2001
    Member 1700
    eMail me at [email protected] and I'll reply with a PDF version, with more pics and details... Honestly, it's really good...
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Dave..

YOU ARE A BAD MAN!!!!!!!! You are killing me!!!!!! I can't lose weight with all these recipes.. :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Seriously... that looks killer..

Bring some on the boat when we go fishing.. we could use it especially with the cold weather we have had lately.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Toothy ThangToothy Thang Posts: 1,414 Officer
    Nicely done..
  • Angler ManagemntAngler Managemnt Posts: 1,072 Officer
    Ok so I'll start my diet NEXT week now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.anglermanagementfishing.com
    Check out our Charter Fishing Videos: Click Here

Click Here for the 2017 Annual Seminar Details
  • PureCPureC Posts: 46 Deckhand
    **** that looks amazing! My mouth is watering right now....
    2.png
    Rock The Rag!
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,781 Admin
    Copied to the Kitchen section as well.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
    There were a few typos I have corrected, and made some of the directions a bit more clear...

Also, added a few pics to help out in knowing what to do...

Here's the final version... I think you guys will really enjoy this one...

Ingredients
    • 3 (1 1/2-pound) cooked lobsters, cracked and split
    • 3-4 ears corn
    For the stock:
    • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
    • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
    • 1/4 cup sherry
    • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
    • 4 cups whole milk
    • 2 cups heavy cream
    • 1 cup dry white wine

For the soup:
    • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
    • 1/4 pound bacon, large-diced
    • 2 cups large-diced unpeeled gold or red potatoes
    • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
    • 2 cups diced celery
    • 1 tablespoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
    • 1/4 cup sherry
    • ¼ to ½ stick of butter, depending upon your current cholesterol levels <smiling> - If you’ve been going to the gym, well, you know… If you haven’t, well, get there, the butter really makes this dish rock…

Directions
    In a large stock pot, add butter and olive oil and sauté lobster enough to be able to remove the meat. Stir near constantly, don’t overcook. Remove the meat and dice into bit size pieces and place them in a covered bowl. Save the shells of the lobster for the next steps and all the juices that collect. Cut the corn kernels from the cobs and set aside, reserving the cobs separately. We usually leave the kernels on one ear and cut it into small chunks for presentation.

For the stock, over a medium heat, melt some butter in a stockpot large enough to hold all the lobster shells and corncobs. Add lobster shells, their juices, and corn cobs and bring to a simmer and stir for 2-3 min. Add the onion and cook until translucent but not browned, stirring occasionally. Add sherry and paprika and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk, cream, wine. Partially cover the pot and simmer the stock over the lowest heat for 30 minutes.

For the Soup, in another stockpot heat the oil and cook the bacon for 4 to 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until browned and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add some butter, the potatoes, onions, celery, corn kernels, salt, and pepper to the same pot and sauté for 5 minutes.

Combining the ingredients - When the stock is ready, remove the lobster shells and the corn cobs and discard. Carefully pour the stock into the pot with the potatoes and corn (usually a larger / deeper pot). Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Then add the cooked lobster, the chives and sherry and salt to taste. Simmer for 3-5 being careful to not overcook the already cooked lobster.
  • Machine HeadMachine Head Posts: 2,634 Officer
    Thank's gonna give it a try
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Do you cater?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • SeneSene Posts: 174 Officer
    Directions to your Casa???