Setting drag strength

BooyuhkaBooyuhka Posts: 210 Officer
How do you set your drag strength on spinning reels?
When I have a fish on that's pulling drag I'm always hesitant to tighten it down at that time, don't want lose the fish.

Replies

• Master BlasterMaster Blaster Posts: 381 Deckhand
    I've always done it by hand/feel based on line strength. If I was going after the big offshore stuff I would probably use a scale to ensure it was exactly right. I've never had an issue the way I currently set the drag. When setting the drag I always make a mental note on how much additional adjustment I can safely apply during the fight if needed.
  • BooyuhkaBooyuhka Posts: 210 Officer
    Thanks for your reply
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    If I'm fighting a fish that's taking line, I "palm" the reel when possible. That way you haven't actually changed the drag and are safe if the fish gets feisty again.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    I asked a similar question and the consensus is that it should be set at 1/3 of fhe line rating...ie 15lb test should have 5lbs of drag.

Some people used scales but a lot just go by feel. Mr. Hexter has an ingenious method using a six pack of beer (or soda).
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    jakedge wrote: »
    If I'm fighting a fish that's taking line, I "palm" the reel when possible. That way you haven't actually changed the drag and are safe if the fish gets feisty again.

+1
    I asked a similar question and the consensus is that it should be set at 1/3 of fhe line rating...ie 15lb test should have 5lbs of drag.

Some people used scales but a lot just go by feel.

Thats a good rule of thumb that should be tuned up or down depending on line strength. Lighter line you should have about 1/4 or even less of breaking strength unless youre going for bluegill or pinfish, because the margin of error is significantly less. Anything with decent size to it, and a swish of the tail or a good headshake will eat up the extra 2/3 of line strength quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Opposite with heavier lines. Pulling snook out of mangroves/ pilings? Bass out of heavy cover? Probably want to use up at least half the breaking strength on your 20# braid, if not a little more.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • Josh85Josh85 Posts: 377 Officer
    Man, honestly its feel-you just know...if your fishin bigger game-pull some line off and make sure it isnt too tight, if its lighter game-crank it down a little more---there are so many different lines and tackle setups its hard to say this or that needs to be at X. The fish need to be able to run, but get tired at the same time. If your in open water theres no need to rush it...you just gotta get "the feel"...youll know when its too much or not enough
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 640 Officer
    I go by feel for inshore/spinning reels, but for offshore you want to use a scale for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Josh85 wrote: »
    Man, honestly its feel-you just know...if your fishin bigger game-pull some line off and make sure it isnt too tight, if its lighter game-crank it down a little more---there are so many different lines and tackle setups its hard to say this or that needs to be at X. The fish need to be able to run, but get tired at the same time. If your in open water theres no need to rush it...you just gotta get "the feel"...youll know when its too much or not enough

+1
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao