YOUR OPINION NEED ON YAMAHA LS 200,JETBOAT?? GOOD OR BAD??

alex5000alex5000 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
im considering buying a used (yamaha LS2000 jet boat) with 2 inboards 2strokes,top speed is 55mph with 4 people,i tested it and was very impressed.it planes super fast,its very lite weight,its a 20 footer with 2 motors(very safe 2 have),u can run in very shallow waters & not worry about ur prop/gear case getting torn up.has anybody in owned a jetboat and what is ur opinion on this type of boat,i was also looking online for parts for the future if needed,i can get a fully rebuilt motor for $900.00..i know a guy that rebuilt his merc,200hp v6 O/B and the pistons alone were $900...what do u guys think about the jetboat?

Replies

• SEARUNNERSEARUNNER Posts: 285 Deckhand
    I use to have the 14ft SeaDo Speedster with twins. It was strictly for pleasure and skiing. Never fished with it. It was fun as heck. It's like a sports car on the water; 60mph, cornering, spinning it around etc...It was very easy to maneuver around docks. The only thing I remember being a bit of an issue was the jet drives tend to suck stuff up in shallow water. You would know it as it became sluggish. You would then stop and push/pull a lever to clear it. But maybe they've improved this since 1997 when I had mine. It did drink tons of fuel.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 779 Officer
    It's definitely not a fishing boat, it's for fun only. I have a friend that has one and it's seems to be a higher maintenance boat then my outboard. Also, being jet powered, there are restrictions in some areas where you can not go, example is the Merritt Island WIldlife Refuge.
  • alex5000alex5000 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    so nothing thats jet powered is allowed in merrit island?..i remember 2 yrs ago i was gonna buy a jetski & decied not to,because here in miami they r not allowed in over 3/4 of the bay cuse of biscayne national park,so y spend big $$ on somthing that u cant use .
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    SEARUNNER wrote: »
    I use to have the 14ft SeaDo Speedster with twins. It was strictly for pleasure and skiing. Never fished with it. It was fun as heck. It's like a sports car on the water; 60mph, cornering, spinning it around etc...It was very easy to maneuver around docks. The only thing I remember being a bit of an issue was the jet drives tend to suck stuff up in shallow water. You would know it as it became sluggish. You would then stop and push/pull a lever to clear it. But maybe they've improved this since 1997 when I had mine. It did drink tons of fuel.

Ha! we had the same exact speedster, only a '95, in purple and yellow! It was tons of fun. We never had any problems with ours, but we were very anal about taking care of it. I spent a total of 1/2 of a day on a yamaha sx230 last summer. 1/2 of a day because it ran pretty well for the first 15 miles or so, then one of the engines wouldn't connect to the impeller shaft, sooo yeah, that was that for that boat....
    1970 23 Seabird
  • Pioneer180Pioneer180 Posts: 124 Officer
    Jet boats are a lot of fun for the family. Ski, sandbar, cruise, etc. Fishing? Nah. Never heard that you can't use one (boat not jetski) in the same places where you could use an OB or IB powered vessel. Doesn't make sense at all. A propeller will make more damage to ground for sure. Would like to see where that law is written...
    i agree with u ( pioneer180)..im surprized with all the laws pertaining to protecting to sea grass,reefs,flats & shallow areas,why jetboats havnt become alot more popular & accepted..im surprized that air boats hav'nt become (the normal) with sooo many conservation laws in place.hahaha
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,196 AG
    Might not be a fishing boat, but you could fish from a rock.
    The fish can't tell what you rode in on.
    :BUNNY gestapo

who says u cant fish from a jetboat? haha.(its just me n my wife-not a crowd of 18).u can fish from anything that floats,as many do from pwc,canoes,kayaks,jonboats etc..i do agree with u pal (gandrfab) that fish dont care what ur fishing from.if its floats and u drop a bait down to them,there gonna bite.hahaha