Hobie Mirage Pro Angler Kayak

katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
Hi all. Thinking about a fishing kayak instead of a Jon boat. This kayak looks like it is a really nice one. Anybody have this particular model? Anybody have a Hobie kayak? I know plenty of people on this board do kayak fishing. Is it easy to do? I have never been in a kayak in my life but it looks like it would not be that difficult to learn. Just looking to go up & down the Dania Cutoff canal & fish.

Feedback/comments?

Where is my kayak fishing buddy with his great advice? Zimmernole.

Replies

• MH79MH79 Posts: 503 Officer
    I used to be an avid kayaker before I bought a boat and have kayak fished many times but never on a Hobie Pro Angler. I've contemplated buying one myself for the stability and that hands free mirage drive system they have is a huge advantage over more traditional kayaks. You shouldn't have any issues learning and most kayak shops will give you a free class after purchase, where they'll meet you in the intracoastal and show you proper technique and safety procedures. The only challenge I foresee you may have with the pro angler is the weight. I don't know how you'll be transporting it but if you're gonna throw it on top of your car, you may find it very difficult. You will most likely have to get a thule roof rack system which is an added expensive and definitely figure out a way to properly get it on and off the roof of your car yourself, especially if you ever plan on going solo. That being said, you can rig those pro anglers into decked out fishing machines! Live bait well, gps/sonar combo, anchor trolley.... can even take 'em off shore if you pick your days. I think you'll love it if you get one but again, figure out how you're going to transport it and store it before you make a decision.
  • katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    MH79 wrote: »
    I used to be an avid kayaker before I bought a boat and have kayak fished many times but never on a Hobie Pro Angler. I've contemplated buying one myself for the stability and that hands free mirage drive system they have is a huge advantage over more traditional kayaks. You shouldn't have any issues learning and most kayak shops will give you a free class after purchase, where they'll meet you in the intracoastal and show you proper technique and safety procedures. The only challenge I foresee you may have with the pro angler is the weight. I don't know how you'll be transporting it but if you're gonna throw it on top of your car, you may find it very difficult. You will most likely have to get a thule roof rack system which is an added expensive and definitely figure out a way to properly get it on and off the roof of your car yourself, especially if you ever plan on going solo. That being said, you can rig those pro anglers into decked out fishing machines! Live bait well, gps/sonar combo, anchor trolley.... can even take 'em off shore if you pick your days. I think you'll love it if you get one but again, figure out how you're going to transport it and store it before you make a decision.

I live on the water so I will just have to pull out of the water & put in the yard.
  • DukesFinDukesFin Posts: 585 Officer
    Go to the No Motor Zone... You'll get plenty of feedback and reviews.

I have a Hobie Outback and love it. I'd like a PA but the cost and weight are keeping me in the Outback.

You just can't beat the hands free aspect... It is awesome!
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    It's the Cadillac of 'yaks... Everyone I know (that likes 'yaks) either has 1 or wants 1...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    katwoman85 wrote: »
    I live on the water so I will just have to pull out of the water & put in the yard.

Just make sure it's hidden and under lock and key afterwards, or it wont take long for you to be out of one PA.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Only thing is that if you don't like it you are down a lot of $$$. I suggest trying before you buy, either at a shop (most will let you test paddle) or with a cheaper kayak you can later upgrade.
  • ThatJiggerGuyThatJiggerGuy Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    HIGHLY RECOMMEND i own one and it is freaking awesome....i have no complaints whatsoever, and possibly my favorite aspect of it is its stability, you can easily stand up and cast, fight, net, cast net from this kayak. The mirage drive is awesome too, ill paddle as much as i can but its always good to have 2 ways to get to and from your fishing spots. Any questions about it feel free to ask, ill let you know anything youd like.
  • DragScreamerDragScreamer Posts: 1,475 Officer
    HIGHLY RECOMMEND i own one and it is freaking awesome....i have no complaints whatsoever, and possibly my favorite aspect of it is its stability, you can easily stand up and cast, fight, net, cast net from this kayak. The mirage drive is awesome too, ill paddle as much as i can but its always good to have 2 ways to get to and from your fishing spots. Any questions about it feel free to ask, ill let you know anything youd like.

How do you transport your yak?
    Let's go fishing!
  • BookwormBookworm Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I've had mine since January and love it for the reasons others have mentioned. I transport mine with the Trailex trailer that Hobie recommends. This is not a boat you can move around by yourself unless it's on wheels. You could haul it around in a long bed pick up truck, I suppose. Even then, you'd need a second set of hands to move from water to vehicle. I fish alone and do fine with the trailer and a two wheeled cart.
  • ThatJiggerGuyThatJiggerGuy Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    How do you transport your yak?

I also have the trailer Hobie recommended. I purchased it from the place i bought the Yak for 900 i think. I have no problem putting it into the water by myself, just slide the back half off and then lift the front have off and i drag it into the water. The wheel cart would be a little easier if you need to move it a long distance but it can be done without it. I also have the 12 footer and it weighs just under 90 lbs but i unload it before i move it back onto the trailer. Getting it on the trailer i just lift the front onto the rubber bushing as far as i can then i pull it onto the trailer. Not too tough but im also young, it may be more difficult for some people. A lot of places will have a day they bring kayaks to some body of water to test drive them, you should look into your local Hobie dealer

Which particular model is that?
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    Which particular model is that?

Looks like a pro angler 12 , about $2,800 new.
  • ToddlleToddlle Posts: 190 Deckhand
    The ProAngler is a nice kayak but it is very heavy and a lot of $$. You can get into kayak fishing for a lot less $$ by searching out a nice used paddle kayak. I would buy used and see if it is feasible for you and you enjoy it before you take the plunge on a brand new kayak.
    Toddlle wrote: »
    The ProAngler is a nice kayak but it is very heavy and a lot of $$. You can get into kayak fishing for a lot less $$ by searching out a nice used paddle kayak. I would buy used and see if it is feasible for you and you enjoy it before you take the plunge on a brand new kayak.

I actually want a fishing kayak with peddles. I have been looking on Craigslist & Ebay for used one

@JohnD - I went & sat in a brand new pro angler 12 yesterday at Nautical Ventures. It is sweet & nice minus the almost 3 grand price tag.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,412 Admiral
    I actually want a fishing kayak with peddles. I have been looking on Craigslist & Ebay for used one

@JohnD - I went & sat in a brand new pro angler 12 yesterday at Nautical Ventures. It is sweet & nice minus the almost 3 grand price tag.

Stay on the hunt, you can find used pro angler 14' yaks. Not a lot 12's ,if any on the used market. They just came out a few months back..Native Mariner 12.5 is a nice yak also.